Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • OS Maps app
  • cord
    Free Member

Anyone use this for navigation whilst riding? I’ve been a life long user of memory maps, but now i’m an iphone-ist so can’t use it any more.

Using the OS Maps app on an iphone, how do you get the map to stay centred on you? And is it possible to get the map to rotate so my direction of travel is always pointing towards the top of the page, and the map rotates to suit? I’ve looked in settings but can’t find anything.

Also, “Routes” I’ve drawn on the app, and imported GPX’s. However when i come to use these routes, i select “follow route” and other than drawing a line on the map, nothing happens? Is this correct, i was expecting a direction arrow or maybe some way of telling me i was on/off course? I’ve watched OS’s videos on youtube, but they don’t really give anything away.

montgomery
    Free Member

I think it’s better to think of the OS app as a massive paper map covering the whole country that you can put in your pocket and won’t blow away in a stiff breeze, rather than expecting the functionality you’re wanting. Works great for me but I can understand how it wouldn’t for others.

bri-72

Not much help to you but I tend to export gpx from OS to garmin and use that for follow the route type navigation. Or the phone stays in pocket and I only take out to refer to OS map when need to.

zilog6128

I had a bit of a go with it for a few rides/walks but then succumbed and moved to Outdoor Active (having previously been a very happy Viewranger user!) and find that a lot better.

convert

op maps does not really do what you want. But why are you not using memory maps for iphone. When I had an iphone it was my go to – it was only when I moved to Android I stopped using it. There are many features I miss to be honest.

dashed
    Free Member

As above, it’s a traditional map on your phone rather than something you can use to navigate in the way you want.

I find it really good for plotting routes online (laptop rather than phone is easier) and then exporting the gpx to my garmin watch which keeps me broadly on track and a quick check of the map on my phone now and then as needed.

cord
    Free Member

To be honest i didn’t know you could get memory maps on iphone! I will investigate, and hopefully all my existing map files will work on it.

I can’t believe that OS Maps won’t do some of these real basic things i want, I will spend some more time googling before i give up. Can’t imagine i’m the first person to try this.

Vortexracing

To be honest i didn’t know you could get memory maps on iphone! I will investigate, and hopefully all my existing map files will work on it.

I got a deal on MM, £32 I think for a lifetime for 6 x devices.

I use it all the time. 👍

roverpig

There is an icon that looks like a target (and one that looks like a compass). Tapping those changes the behaviour of the map e.g. from north at the top to your current direction at the top. Tapping them also centres the map on your position. I can’t recall if it stays centred when you are following a route, but I’ve never had any issues using it when hiking. Don’t use it on the bike though I’m afraid, other than for “exploring” the area when I’m stopped.

Remember, when you’ve loaded a route you can also download the map tiles that cover the route before you head out so you don’t need a signal.

cord
    Free Member

Thanks! Yes a tap on the target now keeps me centred, the compass one changes from north up, to then allow pinch rotation. Am getting there slowly!!

roverpig

Not got my phone in front of me but I think there are more than two options on that compass one (or maybe it’s the target one). Anyway one of them has the map oriented to whichever direction you point your phone.

cord
    Free Member

If there is a rotate map function. I’ve still not found it. Cheers

convert

If there is a rotate map function. I’ve still not found it. Cheers

Certainly on Android it is linked to your phone’s default rotate function. i.e. in the phones main display settings there is an “auto rotate display” slider. Actually find it quite annoying in landscape as the header and footer take up a larger percentage of the screen making the map a bit letterboxy.

cord
    Free Member

Update, all fixed!!

I was also getting an occasional error on opening the app something about “map not loaded, functionality limited” Anyway i’ve deleted the app and reloaded, now it works quicker and I can follow routes.

Just incase anyone else ever is as thick as me:-
    3rd icon up on the right hand side, tap to go through the options.

Black/white target = map can be moved and rotated but stays in same position
    Pink/white target = keeps you in centre, map stays in same compass position
    Black/white compass = keeps you in centre, map rotates to follow your direction

And now when i “follow route” i get an info box with time/distance/elevation and if i stray too far (looks like about 200m) i get a text box on screen “You’re off course”

b33k34

I like it as a map, don’t subscribe but bought paper maps for the key areas I wanted to cover which come with a digital download.

Frustrating thing I find with the app is a number of times (I guess when the app updates) it seems to dump the offline map downloads and need them downloaded again. Which isn’t great if you’re half way through a ride and want to know where you are.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.