Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • OS MapFinder app for Android. Anyone tried it ?
  • Probably not yet, because it looks brand new.
    Map app.

Looks a bit better than other apps because it lets you download tiles for good, instead of just cacheing them.
    No mention of price per tile though. Anyone know ?

I’ve got the whole of the UK at 1:50k on my Garmin 800, but there are times when it would be handy to have small areas of 1:25k as well.

scotroutes

It’s been on iphone for a while so you should get some feedback.

Seems to be £0.69p for a 1:50k tile and £1.99 for a 1:25k tile.

I’ve just been looking through the FAQs for the price and can’t find it.
    https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/mapfinder/mapfinder_android_faq
    Is that a 10x10km or 100sqkm tile ?

scotroutes

Click on “purchase” in the app and it shows you the tiles

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I read £2.49 per tile somewhere, but can’t recall where

I was looking into it last week and they were still developing, so yes, brand new to android

scotroutes

Click on “purchase” in the app and it shows you the tiles AND THE PRICES.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

scotroutes, does it have bundle prices for say, the whole of the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales etc?

scaredypants

backcountry navigator has free maps – not certain they’re full OS, seem to come via multimap

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve just downloaded it and having a few issues already. It’s incredibly slow and laggy (viewranger is fast), I can’t transfer it onto my SD card (you can transfer viewranger).

Click on “purchase” in the app and it shows you the tiles AND THE PRICES.

Wouldn’t it better if they told you the price beforehand, to save you the bother of downloading it, then deleting it as soon as you find out they are more expensive than expected ?

backcountry navigator has free maps…

Downloadable or cached ?

scaredypants

not sure what cached means, but they’re on my SD card

not sure what cached means…

I’m not sure I’m using the right term or if I fully understand it myself.

I’ve got OS Atlas on my phone now.
    I can download map areas simply by scrolling around the screen and waiting for them to load.
    They are only saved temporarily though.
    If I visit that same area a few weeks later without downloading those same areas again beforehand via wifi, they are not on my phone and I have to wait ages for them to download via mobile signal.

I assume that the official OS app downloads them to the phone memory so I have got them permanently, like my photos and contacts.

Backcountry Navigator looks to be USA based and there’s no mention of Ordnance survey.
    Does it definitely allow you to download OS 1:25000 maps ?

scaredypants

I believe so – there’s a free trial, why not have a go ?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Graham, I’ve got backcountry navigator on trial, you get the free trial for about three weeks. It uses multi map as said which includes 1:25k level. Would appear you can do a quick screen shot and use that for a day out or you can use a drag box and download and save an area to have permanently. Costs£6.99 but rest appears free. it looks to do the job, maybe not with some of the bells and whistles of viewranger. only slight negative is you can only zoom to a certain level, on my phone it was approx 8k by 4k, if you tried to zoom in to scrutinize you just get a load of crosses. This was using a screen shot, might be different if you download and save an area.

scaredypants

B.A – I can zoom way in once I’ve saved the map (on downloading you get to specify the zoom-level you want to have available for later use)

clubber
    Free Member

MTG check out this thread and oruxmaps

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/home-made-gps-with-mapping-and-tracking

In short, you can have free offline os maps no problem.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Turns out the screen shot I’d done of Pen y Gent was 1:50k 😳

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

scaredypants, do you have to keep rebooting your phone to get the gps working with backcountry nav?.

scaredypants

no – I’ve had it going in UK and USA without having to do that

(you do have to tell it which mapset to use (showing map layer from …) which gets me every time I come back from USA as it only shows blanks)

If you tap the GPS icon at the top and tell it to centre on your location it should come straight up

oh, and if you ownloaded your maps into a particular folder you have to tell it to look there

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘OS MapFinder app for Android. Anyone tried it ?’ is closed to new replies.