Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • OS map GPS and Android/iPad/Windows tablet
  • matt_outandabout

SO I have a project at work, and I would like to be able to connect handheld GPS (that must use OS mapping on screen – so Satmap, Memory Map, Garmin) and connect them to tablet’s to download the routes at the end of the day, and be able to blog / upload / share routes.
    We will also be using GPS enable waterproof / bashproof cameras and camera traps. They too will also need to be downloaded onto the tablets and used for blogs / upload.
    MM and Garmin say there is no way this can work (no software for Android or iPad); Satmap are looking into it, but think easiest thing is to record routes onto memory card and chuck that in tablet.
    All this will be done by primary age kids…. 😮
    I know there are some peeps on here with some geekage knowledge of all this. Any experiences or recomendations of kit?

Mackem

Can you get an Android tablet with a USB port that’ll recognise the devices, even if they are just external hard-drives. This only removes the need to take the memory cards out of the devices, but might be enough. Yuo just need Apps that recognise the various formats you’ll be using on the cameras and GPS devices, plenty of those around.

matt_outandabout

Any suggestions for apps on Android or iPad?

druidh
    Free Member

Endomondo and mapmyride will both read a GPX file from any connected drive (e.g. a Garmin GPS). They run in a browser, so will the tablets have an internet connection?

matt_outandabout

Yes, the idea is that the kids / guests at work can come and sit in the lounges and upload stuff from the day. Likely to end up with a wee server of somekind, as we are on sattelite broadband and it doesn’t have the bandwidth, but IT(ish) chap at work reckons a server to ‘delay’ uploads to a set bandwidth is easy, so not bothere about that.

druidh
    Free Member

Sorted then. I’m just looking round at USBed Android tablets too 🙂

matt_outandabout

*joins in the hunt*

CountZero

What about Viewranger? Available for iPad, and always one of the best OS mapping solutions. They have web-based route sharing.

martinh
    Free Member

If the Garmin does ANT+ then you can get a Wahoo ANT+ adaptor for the iPhone/iPad

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘OS map GPS and Android/iPad/Windows tablet’ is closed to new replies.