• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • OS map apps for ipad
  • meeeee
    Free Member

any recommendations for cheap OS mapping apps for the iPad?

I’ve got Backcountry navigator on my phone, but looking for something for my dads iPad.

Ideally like backcountry navigator where you buy the app (£6 ish on android) and then can download OS tiles via wifi and store them in a cache on the phone for use later.

One option would be view ranger but you need to buy the actual maps then.

cheers

GrahamS

Do you need actual OS maps? You can also use ViewRanger with OpenStreetMap and OpenCycleMap for free.

CountZero

UK Mapping. You can’t record tracks, but you buy the base App, then download free OS tiles at 1:25 and 1:10k. The tiles don’t show the OS footpaths and byways info, which is why the tiles are free, but the OpenStreetMap people put their own paths and routes on. A really good app.
    The Viewranger one is very good, too. Yes, you do have to pay for map tiles, but you can get quite a lot of coverage for your money, and it would make quite nice birthday/Christmas pressies to give some money to add credit to the app, then new tiles can be added over time. Has the advantage of being able to import tracks from other sources, too.
    [edit] As Graham says, I’d forgotten the free mapping that you can get, too.
    Also, Viewranger have a huge number of maps from other countries, should he go abroad.

meeeee
    Free Member

actually thinking about it i also have view ranger on my phone (from before i discovered Backcountry navigator), and i have National Parks maps. I think i might be able to add the iPad as another device and use my already purchased maps.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member
    T666DOM

Viewranger

Drac

Viewranger there’s nothing better and yes you can share the maps across devices.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘OS map apps for ipad’ is closed to new replies.