Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Orux maps question
  • uphilla
    Free Member

It did seem too good to be true, but notice that Ordnance uk maps seems to have disappeared as an option on Orux. What is the next best option?

acjim
    Free Member

I noticed this too – very annoying! I think for road biking and route following the Openstreetmap Mapnik is pretty good – the TOPO maps may be useful for exploring.

I suppose this was down to licensing? I thought OS was public domain now though?

nre
    Free Member

I use orux with offline maps, still works fine. You should still be able to create these with the right version of MOBAC…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, I spotted that 😕

Three options I think:

– create the offline maps on your computer (Orux’s site explains how to do this – it’s not difficult) and then load them onto your phone

– Use an old version of Oruxmaps (I made a backup of this because I saw that the new version had taken OS maps off) – if anyone needs it, I could upload it somewhere.

– Modify the new map sources file (which is just XML) based on the old version above to include the OS maps again.

I intend to do the last option when I get time. Again, if useful and I get round to it, I can share.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

backcountry navigator, OS maps down to 1:25K for £6.99 one off. You can download it for a 3 week trial. You just download the map area(s) you want, on your WiFi at home. If you know you’re going to be in an area with full 3g coverage then there’s no need to download map areas to your phone I suppose.
    I used it in the Lakes a few weeks ago and t’was great. downloaded the maps areas I wanted before going and some GPX files of routes off various websites.

acjim
    Free Member

anyone know what the right version of MOBAC is (now i’ve learnt how to use it) and where one may get said edition?

ta!

nre
    Free Member

I used 1.8bcnav to generate offline maps. I have the whole UK at 1:25000 😀

clubber – Interested to know if you succeed with the xml hack

clubber
    Free Member

I had a good play with it last night and it looks as though the latest version actively blocks OS maps as I could affect the online map options I had by adjusting the xml file (eg adding or removing items) but no matter what, I couldn’t get it to act on the Ordnance SM item in the XML.

So, I can either download using an old version and then upgrade (whihc is easy enough as I have the old version backup on my phone) or download on the computer and transfer to the mobile.

As it goes, I find the OS maps too detailed and prefer the OSM or even google maps (for road).

nre
    Free Member

I found the same too, cannot get the new version to load an online OS map via xml hacks 🙁

Not a problem for me as have the whole UK on my microSD, but a shame nonetheless…

clubber
    Free Member

I was pretty surprised that it allowed the OS downloads in the first place…

As I said earlier though, if anyone wants the previous version that did include OS, let me know.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Orux maps question’ is closed to new replies.