Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ortlieb pannier tear. On the road repair solutions?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Not quite as big a problem as Apollo 13 but a hole is a hole none the less.
    I have a tear about an inch long in the heavy Cordura section of one of my Ortlieb front panniers. Can anyone suggest a temporary repair using materials I can whilst on the road.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pacificcoastandcascadescircuit

T1000
    Free Member

Gaffer tape inside and out should do the job until you can get something like an iron on patch

glupton1976
    Free Member

The obvious gaffa tape, or some of those self adhesive patches for fixing punctures.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Sew it together with some floss and then patch.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ was about to say, a good darning needle and some dental floss and then some gaffer tape for waterproofing.

ton

sew it then paint it with clear nail varnish.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dental floss +2!. Amazing stuff, held together a rip in a fire xc tyre on my ss for over a year.

Marko

Seam sealer:

http://www.uttingsoutdoors.co.uk/Product/184/110029/mcnett-silnet-silicone-seam-sealer-28ml-mn41/

Bomb proof repair, but you need to let it ‘go off’

Hth
    Marko

midlifecrashes

Will ordinary puncture repair kit rubber solution seal it up nicely once you get a stitch or five in it?

The trip sounds amazing, I’ve been around WA and OR but not headed south to CA. Wish I was there, love the big woods.

csb

I abraded a hole in mine in a crash. I put gaffa tape on the inside and filled the hole with seam sealer from the outside. I guess epoxy would work too, but maybe too brittle?

Stoner
    Free Member

rubber solution vulcanises rubber components to bond – the panniers are made of duck cotton I think so it wont work.

ton

hope you are having a good time, you lucky man….. 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great stuff guys, I’m across the street from a Safeway, in the launderette ( livin’ the dream), I should be able to pick up a needle and tape there.

I was uncertain about the California leg of this trip too. But so far it has been good. The coast is possibly more picturesque than the Oregon coast. The state parks are still $5 a night and they have 50c jet wash showers!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ortlieb pannier tear. On the road repair solutions?’ is closed to new replies.