Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ortlieb Micro saddle bag – avoid
  • AlasdairMc

I had one of these bags until a couple of hours ago, when it decided to make use of the ‘quick’ part of the ‘quick release mounting’ and disappear somewhere throughout a 30 mile ride. 👿

What pisses me off most is that it’s sold as a small bag to keep essentials like a mobile phone or wallet – both of which I am now down! Some lucky wee scrote somewhere is laughing that they’ve managed to get hold of an iPhone (it went straight to voicemail, meaning it was switched off by hand) and my cash, while I’m left cashless, phoneless, and starving.

The main failing of the product,in hindsight, is that it only attaches to the saddle rails on the QR mount – perhaps a velcro strap around the saddle would have been an idea?

druidh
    Free Member

Not managed to lose mine yet – and not heard of anyone losing one. Is it possible you didn’t have it clipped in properly?

jimc101
    Free Member

Those clips are good, if correctly used, have done several thousand km this year with one of the larger versions of the bags, and its never moved, not too keen on the flap on the larger ones, quite liked the look of them on the micro.

Joe

I dropped mine several times before losing it and have had similar complaints at the shop. When these first came out I thought they were great and look super pretty…BUT they just aren’t for mtb’s.

29erKeith
    Free Member

The bigger ones come with a Velcro strap for the seat post, I assume the Micro doesn’t have that?

AlasdairMc

My clip had always had a bit of play in it, but was secure nonetheless. It was definitely secured correctly today, as I make a point of checking the fixing before setting off just simply because it’s a simple connection.

What annoys me most is that my phone was nicked – you just can’t accidentally switch off an iPhone so that’s the only explanation. However, I’m going to wait about a week before blocking the IMEI on the handset, just to make the person think they got away with it… 😀

Joe

p.s. Although I also sometimes suffer from occasional mental lapses…why oh why did you put all that stuff in there?

AlasdairMc

I was on my road bike so didn’t have a bag with me, and figured that it would have been safe in a pack designed for that sort of thing. How foolish of me to trust that…

easygirl

Was your phone not set up for tracking?

sweepy
    Free Member

send a message to it telling them you are offering a reward, and explaining that it will be blocked, you never know. And its not like they actively nicked it, they might just need a prompt to do whats right.

Basil

I also wish to bitch about my Ortlieb saddle bag.
    The slide in QR can easily give a false positive,
    The rolltop closure of mine (extra large saddlebag) really likes to un roll,a trifle annoying given the usually high value of the contents,
    Back to using my Altura saddlebag which has a velcro closure.

AlasdairMc

Tracking only works when the phone is on, and my phone had been switched off manually by whoever found it. I know this because it went straight to voicemail, which only happens when a handset de-registers from the network before powering down.

The phone is still offline, but I’ve got Find my iPhone tracking it so I’ll know when it has been switched back on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ortlieb Micro saddle bag – avoid’ is closed to new replies.