Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Orsum old stuff
  • leffeboy

I love this for it’s simplicity and the corny name is only an added bonus

I was trying to remember what year at school we did log tables and I thought it might have been last year of primary but I’m sure there are folks here of the correct vintage to remember…

somafunk

Still got mine as well, survived 5 months in darkest africa on walkabout and 6+ months in India but i left it out in the rain one afternoon whilst listening in the garden so it now doesn’t work – i was/still am quite upset about my stupidity

Needless to say the tab’s on the battery door broke like many of them do but a cable tie around the body worked for years

Moved onto this sony mini dab model to replace it, another awesome sony radio.

Found my walkman, it was a DC2

Awesome bit of kit, wish i still had it but the door mech broke and i couldn’t get it repaired

squirrelking
    Free Member

Reminds me, I need to replace the capacitors on my Game Gears…

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

for Northwind – this was in the auction the other day, I reckoned it could be useful but I just wasn’t sure for what! Lovely little thing though, had a whole bunch of tools with it too.

Stoner
    Free Member

Needless to say the tab’s on the battery door broke like many of them do but a cable tie around the body worked for years

dammit! I was reading your post and about to ask you to send me the battery door if the radio had stopped working! Mine’s knackered and has the ziptie fix. I was wondering whether I could bodge some kind of araldite fix 🙁

Alex

@gozarch

I *loved* this thing.

– have one of those in the shed still offering sterling service!

I had about every palm- 3a and Pilot for sure. Wrote a best mans speech on the 3a on the flight over to a wedding. Great little device.

Also owned the poor mans BBC
    before which we had the Acorn Atom. Which anyone with a shred of technical credibility will tell you was better in every sense than the ZX81.

My local tandy had one of these

Who needs a MacBook eh?

mefty
    Free Member

Who needs a MacBook eh?

We had the Compaq “sewing machines”,

then Toshibas came out and were a revelation.

cheers_drive

I still refuse to buy any Apple stuff

somafunk

dammit! I was reading your post and about to ask you to send me the battery door if the radio had stopped working! Mine’s knackered and has the ziptie fix. I was wondering whether I could bodge some kind of araldite fix

The battery door tiny tab was a real weak point on an otherwise wonderful radio, mine broke using cheap batteries which i imagine were slightly oversized. I spent many nights in Africa tuning into the world service and exotic SW radio stations when i was billy-no-mates in the middle of nowhere, same in India but had a wee bit of trouble in Pakistan at a border checkpoint (i mistakenly rode across the India/Pakistan border on a goat track road up in Kashmir region with no visa but foolishly returned on the main road once i realised my mistake) trying to explain it’s just a radio as i imagine they thought it was some exotic spy transmission kit, or more likely they wanted it for themselves but i flatly refused to hand it over and spent quite a few hours being questioned/shouted at by men with guns – not one of my brightest decisions.

CountZero

Also owned the poor mans BBC before which we had the Acorn Atom. Which anyone with a shred of technical credibility will tell you was better in every sense than the ZX81.

Well, Acorn was broken up into a number of different companies, one of which is ARM Holdings.
    And who’s chip designs are used in all of Apple’s mobile devices, and may end up in their mainstream machines?
    ARM Holdings, based in Bristol, IIRC. Good to know there’s areas of modern tech Britain can match the best in the world.
    I’ve got one of these stashed away somewhere, still works ok, AFAIK, had an add-on battery pack which used a couple of AA’s to supplement the internal rechargeable:

teasel
    Free Member

Still got it. Perfect nick, too.

Got loads of weird shit from the same era – probably worth a few bob to the right person but the above will always have good memories attached as it was my first composing machine.

Da Da Da… 🙂

Edit : Still have that sci-calculator that Cougar posted, too. Bit torn on the case hinge now.

squirrelking
    Free Member

CZ – ARM Holdings were sold to Softbank Group last year. They’re Japanese owned now.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Teasel – I still have this:

up in the loft. My daughter is getting it if I can’t fit her crappy book keyboard. Only thing wrong is a broken battery compartment cover.

Cougar

Still have that sci-calculator that Cougar posted, too. Bit torn on the case hinge now.

Fixed your link.

A lot of people killed FX-451’s by folding them backwards, you weren’t supposed to bend it past 180′ flat.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We had the Compaq “sewing machines”,

That was my first work ‘laptop’, used to think I was so cool turning up at our satellite depots with it to crunch some numbers for them, what a div.

Oldest sister bought the first Sony discman, handed it down to me, which was exciting, but it didn’t work, so I threw it.

jag61

leffeboy
    logs and slide rules being used up to 73 at leastat my school not allowed calculators until 3rd year (y9 for the youngsters)

my mum was expert with one of thee things could add up columns of figures £Sd in seconds

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I loved my Palm Pilots, got a couple in the attic. Vx and Tungsten.

Also thought the Rex Pro was a brilliant piece of design. Synced with Outlook, so you’d always have your diary and contacts with you. Still got it somewhere, but I lack a PCMCIA slot on any PC now 🙁

TheDTs
    Free Member

Johndoh, I had one of them in grey. Brilliant

teasel
    Free Member

Fixed your link.

Ta

A lot of people killed FX-451’s by folding them backwards, you weren’t supposed to bend it past 180′ flat.

I had a hand-me-down from my older brother after he replaced a “lost’ one. Folding back the case was definitely his modus operandi, the tosser.

Teasel – I still have this [Casio SK-5]

Awesome! I wanted that and a few of its forerunners but my dad surprised me by instead getting some giant full size monstrosity (can’t recall the model) and all desires were quashed. I even took that big bastard to gigs when I was 17, albeit hidden from view so the audience could only see the ESQ-1 and JX3P and not the “fake” synth.

Superb little machines!

tomhoward

Beautiful to use. I use it mainly to clear my mind/de-stress. Less useful than a cheap leccy one for things like, umm, sums….

Mines from the mid/late 50’s

sirromj

Probaby shouldn’t have left my Amstrad CPC 464 with my 2nd year university flat which was owned by a dodgy antiques/crap dealer.

Those mini lathes look great, I didn’t know such a thing existed.

I realized the other day, that the Cambridge Audio stereo amp & Mordantz Short speakers I bought in my 2nd year at university are now 18 years old, still going strong, except I’ve lost one of the knobs on the amp. Got a RPI with Hiberry DAC+ plugged into it, running MPD with tunes stored on the NAS or streaming internet radio.

edit: ^^^^^ what the hell is that!?

And love the old pics of PC’s from around 88-92 – my first PC was a 486sx25 bought brand new with inheritance.

teasel
    Free Member

edit: ^^^^^ what the hell is that!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curta

Whaaaaarrr…!!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A Philips Savvy in a holster. Definitely for emergency use only.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Had one of these, cried when I had to flog it

slackboy

Nakamichi Dragon. Had one for years until I realised that I no longer had any music on cassette

sirromj

Around 95 one of my mates went to his old school to the music dept. and enquired about that old synth that nobody ever used sat out the back. Only a Korg MS 20 + MS50 expander, got for next to nothing I believe. Jammy sod.

slackboy

this old thing is pretty awesome too

bob_summers

Still using one of these

But sadly sold one of these for peanuts

jambourgie
    Free Member

Favourite phones!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

First phone.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

>Eriksson T28/T39 – YES!!!

My father won one of these in a ?Hi-Fi World? competition:

If you looked at it it would skip. When it had finished skipping the battery would be flat. Sounded good though!

P20

Stoner, remember those laserdiscs. They had the BBC domesday project on them in our primary school. Now available online

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a cheap digital watch at primary school, fake gold n all.

So wish I still had it.

Zx81, spectrum, Acorn.

Handspring.

That Motorola mobile lodsa folk had, £35.

dragon
    Free Member

Nice to see enthusiasm from others regarding Marantz and other hi-fi gear.

Other things that were cool in a geeky way were Silicon Graphics and Sun Sparc workstations.

Modern phones, computers etc are amazing but for me just don’t have the same excitement factor.

squirrelking
    Free Member

We still have Sparcs at work, definitely not the oldest IT on site, you should see what our pagers are programmed with!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve always played acoustics, never got on with electric guitars.

I was at Uni, a friends father was having a clear out and gave me one of these. It was a bit battered, well played and yet in good condition. No idea what it played like because I sold it for a couple of hundred quid ..
    A 70’s tele… damn I wish I’da kept it..

kayak23

Yeah man…

[video]http://youtu.be/yTOSXc4su8c[/video]

Alphabet

Our first video recorder was top loading and built like a tank.

cranberry
    Free Member

JVC CX-7K – personal stereo with auto reverse, FULL LOGIC, soft touch buttons, a digitally tuned radio and if it was *tiny* and if there was no cassette in it, it closed down even smaller – it was amazing for its time.

I was gutted when it stopped working and all replacements that I could find looked like walking, very reluctantly, back into the past.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

My old Aiwa, now the only cassette deck I have which works, and it’s what I’ll have to use to digitise my old rave tapes before they turn to dust:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RXhwhb]Untitled[/url] by SteveH2008, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Orsum old stuff’ is closed to new replies.