Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ordnance survey bike gps
  • poe82
    Free Member

Has anyone used the bike GPS units that os sells?
    Like this:
    https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/gps/cycling/os-velo-gps.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAyMHhBRBIEiwAkGN6fNdQHbvvcmx_BdiT585OqOKWtyI_TJ0cqgr5utwBrlazi60ArzzhSBoC7KEQAvD_BwE

I’m interested in how it compares to something like the Garmin 520 plus.
    I really want a constant view of an os map with a gpx trail to follow if that’s possible. From a little research it seems like most gpd computers are much better for road riding which is not what I want at all.
    Thanks

scotroutes

I really want a constant view of an os map with a gpx trail to follow if that’s possible

Garmin Etrex or Oregon.

athy62
    Free Member

I use the app OS app on my phone with an extra battery pack for longer rides. works brilliantly.

Trimix
    Free Member

My Garmins (all of them) show an OS Map. Plus they do more than enough other GPS type stuff, so I’ve never seen the need for any alternative.

poe82
    Free Member

will look at the etrex and oregon thaks.
    would be nice to have something cycling specific which works with strava and hrm etc which is why im interested in the os branded computers

Trimix
    Free Member

Have a look on Ebay, you can pick up a Garmin second hand for not much money that will do everything you need and have an OS map.

poe82
    Free Member

@trimix are the os maps useable on your garmins then? i’ve read that they blur when zoomed in and that zooming out is not possible.

scotroutes

would be nice to have something cycling specific which works with strava and hrm etc which is why im interested in the os branded computers

My Oregon works with an HR strap and Cadence meter and I upload all my data to Strava (mine is a 600 so I use a cable, newer versions have Bluetooth)

are the os maps useable on your garmins then? i’ve read that they blur when zoomed in and that zooming out is not possible.

The maps are scanned at one resolution so there is an element of “fuzziness” when zoomed way in. When zoomed way out it’s possible to be overwhelmed with the amount of data squeezed onto the screen. I’m not sure the OS GPS devices work any differently?

Although I use OS maps extensively, OSM mapping doesn’t suffer from the same scaling issue and is way clearer. I therefore have both on my Oregon and switch between them as required/appropriate.

My major concern about the OS branded devices is that ongoing support and development will be limited.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ordnance survey bike gps’ is closed to new replies.