Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Orbea Warranty experiences?
  • renton
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone has had to use Orbeas warranty in the past and if so how good was it?

Still waiting to hear prices for a new rear end on mine after emailing them nearly 3 weeks ago now. Ive chased the dealer a couple of times to be told they are still waiting. I was promised prices on Friday last week but it never materialised.

I contacted the shop this morning to be told Orbea are making them jump through hoops now and want them to submit as a different warranty claim to get the prices.

Starting to get a bit fed up now.

BearBack
    Free Member

“Warranty” and “prices” are two different things surely.
    If you’re looking to buy a crash replacement part then the shop should have the skus for all parts and have prices listed.

renton
    Free Member

Initially it was/is a warranty issue as there was lots of play in the rear end which turned out to be worn bearings.

Orbea have supposedly sent out a bearing kit mid August bit that hasn’t appeared yet. This has been going on since the 9th August now.

Whilst pressing the bearings out I managed to miss a circlip covering one of the bearings damaging the chainstay.

The shop had the details and the request for frame parts on the 23rd August.

I’m more than happy to pay. Just need to know prices.

tofu21

My first and hand and second hand experience with Orbea has been poor. But that was 2-3 years ago, so things may have improved.

bruneep

Had a claim 2018 ish and it was painful, had to deal with someone in Spain and took an age probably didn’t help it was BOS forks.

lunge

I warrantied a cracked frame maybe 5 years ago and they were fine, not quick but they dealt with the issue.
    The experience with the LBS (that I’d bought the bike from) that tried to charge me £150 to rebuild it is another discussion for another thread…

renton
    Free Member

I feel like I’m getting the run around from the shop to be honest especially as another poster has said that shops will have the SKU for the parts so will know prices already.

No other local orbea dealer wants to know.

Orbea just keep saying speak with the dealer you got the bike from

Is over two weeks acceptable time to find out prices for parts ?

lucky7500

No other local orbea dealer wants to know.

I’m pretty sure that if I walked in to an Orbea stockist and said, ‘I’ve damaged a chainstay beyond repair, it definitely isn’t a warranty job, how much would a new rear triangle cost?’ they would tell me and sell me one if available.

lunge

Re-reading, are you getting/hoping to get the new rear end on warranty? As if so, you need to push your LBS and not Orbea, that’s who you have a contract with. They may be delaying if they’re questioning if it is a warranty claim.

If you’re paying for the rear end then as above, any Orbea will be able to give you a price and sell you on if they’re available.

renton
    Free Member

@lunge

No mate I’m not trying to get the rear end on warranty. I’ve said it was my mistake and am qquite happy to pay for it.

The new bearings are part of the warranty but they haven’t arrived yet.

Orbea offer a 50% crash replacement for the first year.

I’m just after prices because if the carbon rear end is in my price range I will upgrade to that.

mrhoppy

Sounds like your shop is rubbish, as a punter you certainly used to be able to buy spares off their website, prices are on there anyway.

I’d have said bearings were consumables so outside the warranty so you’re doing alright there.

renton
    Free Member

@mrhoppy

Bike is only 4 months old and covered 184 miles. Bearings should last longer than that surely

lucky7500

Did you ever contact Orbea about it directly?

mrhoppy

Bike is only 4 months old and covered 184 miles. Bearings should last longer than that surely

They should but there are variables outside the control of the manufacturer so bearings are usually classified as consumables and outside warranty terms, same as cables, brake pads, etc. And at £50 for a full set it doesn’t seem worth the hassle tbh.

renton
    Free Member

@lucky7500 I did email them direct but had no reply yet.

I’ve used the contact us form on the website but their reply is that the dealer is dealing with the bearing replacement.

damascus
    Free Member

Does a crash replacement policy cover accidental damage?

What is it youve done? I’m guessing it’s aluminium.?

renton
    Free Member

@damascus

Basically I was pressing out the bearings to replace with the new ones and missed a circlip covering one of the bearings and have done this to the chainstay…..

Totally wrecked the groove the circlip sat in.

BearBack
    Free Member

I think your hammer was too big :/

renton
    Free Member

Haha I wish I’d been that stupid.

I was using a proper press but didn’t see the circlip on that bearing

cchris2lou

My Rallon fell from a chairlift and a crack apperaed in the stay. Old style alu Rallon. The ski resort were happy to pay as operator didnt check. Took a few weeks to get it sorted, but Shop were happy to include all bearings on the invoice. Because it is an older model, thé colour didnt match.

sillysilly
    Free Member

I don’t know how there are any excuses for shops or manufacturers.

We have no stock and don’t know when more will come: email takes all of 20 seconds to send.

We have in stock and this is the price: email also takes 20 seconds to send.

Shop is useless: manufacturer needs to terminate sales agreement and step in to support owner that purchased in good faith.

**** these feckers. We should start a thread for all shops / brands that can achieve the above simple points that take mere seconds to make happen.

If bearings are consumables then sell them direct on your damn website or offer for free.

All reasons I ended up with Santa Cruz. Any other sort this simply? If UK brands then even better.

Without this support why not just order direct from China…

LS
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of warranty issues with Orbea (one their fault, one due to a courier treading on the box) and they’ve been resolved quickly and easily with plenty of comms between Spain and my dealer.

renton
    Free Member

Just spoke to the shop again after speaking with them Monday.

Apparently they are still waiting to hear back from Orbea.

The person that was handling Orbea warranty issues has apparently moved to a different department and its taking some time for the new guys to get up to speed.

This is getting beyond a joke now. Once I get the prices and order the parts Ive still got to wait however long it takes them to come from Spain.

Do any of you have any details for people at Orbea I can actually speak to??

Ive tried the contact form on the website, Ive emailed the uk email address with no reply. Ive tagged the uk/Ireland head of orbea in a post on Twitter all to no avail.

davros

Daft question but can you not just reassemble it and keep riding? With the rear axle assembly all in place and torqued up, can the bearing actually wander anywhere?

renton
    Free Member

I had thought about that but I didnt want to do anymore damage to anything. Plus I dont think a bearing will go in now without damaging it.

davros

I’ve got an Occam and it’s the same design. Just had a look at it and I reckon it would do as a temporary fix. If you’re already resigned to scrapping the chainstay for a replacement then there’s nothing to lose. I can’t imagine there would be enough lateral force to displace the bearing when it’s all torqued up. Especially as there is a flange behind it.

lucky7500

Do any of you have any details for people at Orbea I can actually speak to??

Have you tried the UK telephone number listed on the website?

honourablegeorge

This is all an elaborate renton ruse to buy a new bike. He’s ignoring all calls back from Orbea and his LBS while browsing new bikes online

renton
    Free Member

Not this time mate. I’m missing out on riding at the moment when I actually want to be out riding 🥺

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Try and get a contact from Linkedin there is a guy called Damian Hackett Country Manager good place to start, I believe he is also on twitter.

gazzab1955

Might worth checking out (if you can) what the relationship is like between the LBS and Orbea. I had a very similar issue with a Scott part and after a couple of months of waiting the LBS finally admitted that Scott wouldn’t deal with them due to being at loggerheads with them over unpaid bills. I went to another Scott dealer (LBS) and they got the part in 48hrs.

renton
    Free Member

Just to update:

Still waiting for prices!!

I messaged Orbea on twitter and got some curt responses back saying it was being dealt with and that I had received emails telling me as such.

No such emails have been received.

Ive emailed Damian Hackett and he hasnt replied.

Orbea have told me that the case was opened on the 6th sept and was being processed and from now on I need to deal with the shop?? I sent the email to the shop requesting prices on the 23rd August so why has it taken so long to get registered with Orbea.

So if it was raised on the 6th which was last monday what is a reasonable time to wait for prices?

davros

Just press a new bearing in and ride it. It will make the waiting much less frustrating.

renton
    Free Member

Just press a new bearing in and ride it. It will make the waiting much less frustrating.

I did this but rear end is so loose due to the piece that fits over the bearing that the bolt through axle goes into not sitting flush with the new bearing due to the damage. I dont want to damage anything else by riding with an extremely loose rear end.

davros

Wow, it must be much worse than it looks then! Where does the movement come from? I thought with just an extra washer to account for the missing c clip it would be solid with it all torqued up. I can’t see where the movement would come from.

letmetalktomark

Critically …… how are the BB threads?

renton
    Free Member

Wow, it must be much worse than it looks then! Where does the movement come from? I thought with just an extra washer to account for the missing c clip it would be solid with it all torqued up. I can’t see where the movement would come from.

The cup that the axle screws into wont sit correctly as it is fouling where the circlip sat and as such there is about 3-5mm of play causing the brake to rub etc

zerocool

Can you not put a washer in to take up the play? I’ve done similar on people’s bikes when they’ve needed sorting while away in places like the Alps. And often forgotten about it until bearing change time.

At least then you’d be able to get out and ride the bike.
    I think a lot of companies are struggling with warranties (and everything) at the moment. Don’t even go on the Pinkbike, Vital, etc forums and look up Canyon, YT warranty delays!

We currently live in interesting times where even people in the bike industry are trying to eek out as much life as they can from cassettes, chains, etc due to lack of spares. And these are the people who previously would religiously replace their chains every 1.5 miles (I exaggerate).

renton
    Free Member

This is still ongoing although I did think I was getting somewhere……

Had an email saying that as a goodwill gesture they were going to arrange to get the part sent out to me so that I can get on riding my bike. In that email they said that they had informed the shop and to call them to arrange delivery.

I duly phoned the shop a couple of days after only to be told they didnt know anything about it and that they would contact the Orbea Rep to find out what was going on.

I replied to the lady from Orbea saying the shop werent aware and now she has replied this morning they will send the shop the prices so I can pay for the part.

So they have gone from saying it will be a good will gesture to now saying I need to pay…….

A chainstay is £360 and thats with a 50% discount !!!!!

superstu
    Free Member

£360 sounds reasonable? Or am I missing something? Good will for something that isn’t their fault would be incredibly generous / fortunate on your behalf, albeit strange thing for them to even to even mention. £360 is a lot cheaper than a new bike and you’ve said you can’t do it back up as a temp fix, so hopefully a quick way of getting back on the bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Orbea Warranty experiences?’ is closed to new replies.