Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Orbea Rise H30 First ride(s) feedback
  • hb70

As described. I’ll start with the bad stuff
    1. The brakes are just not up to it. Its galling to spend 4.5k on a bike and have to swap out stuff almost immediately. Its the cheapest in the range, i get that but still.
    2. the ride is harsh. I’ve swapped the (horrible) seat, taken air out of the tyres, and I’m coming from a 160/150 plush bike but I’ll need to make it a bit less stiff.
    3. I had to lift it over a couple of gates. Ooof. It might be a “lite” ebike but blimey.

Then the good
    I rode twice as far as i normally do on my first ride out. I rode up downhills i’d normally avoid. I was still exhausted in an “empty the fridge” kind of way at the end of it. It was fun. The downhills and steep bits were fine, I found it easy to get my bum out of the back of the bike- it feels like it has a much shorter reach than my Bird but still really happy downhill.

I did 2.5 hours and 22 miles, and 1000m of climbing and still have 60% battery left always climbing on full boost. I just don’t do all day rides, so I will never run out. The motor rewards what you put into it. I found myself working nearly as hard as i normally do- but with the satisfaction of getting up the hills quicker.

I live in the middle of the Pennines. A ride out involves a steep climb out of the valley to start. It makes me take the same routes, searching for the easier climbs. Immmediately on Saturday I started taking different routes, not being constrained, and exploring some of the paths less ridden again. that was nice.

I normally ride with friends. I rode on my own, with podcasts and music for company and it was really really nice. I’d not have done that on my own. I’m mid 50’s, starting to slow up, losing fitness and losing the willngness to grind up steep hills. It’ll get me out and about more, exploring, and being outside, which is what i love the most.

argee

Sort out the suspension if it feels harsh, it’s an ebike so you don’t really need compression of any sort in the rear or front, unless you’re needing it for enduro/DH stuff.

Brakes are always a nightmare when going down the budget, you can get away with budget wheels and drivertrain on an ebike, but brakes always tend to need to be a bit more powerful or tweakable, so swapping out for some SLX/XT/Code/etc will do the job.

Those numbers seem a bit off, or the Rise is the ebike unicorn, i was out last weekend on my ebike with 625wh battery, and ran it dry after 22 miles and 1100m of climbing! You’re either not using the motor that much, or it’s not reading correctly, especially in winter conditions and using full boost!

iainc

I’m mid 50’s, starting to slow up, losing fitness and losing the willngness to grind up steep hills. It’ll get me out and about more, exploring, and being outside, which is what i love the most.

this is me too !

I have a Levo SL, so same idea, bit less power. Have had it for 18 months, it’s the carbon expert, so decent spec though I have swopped out dropper and shifting to AXS and the SRAM brakes to XT.

I have regular bikes too, and ride them all, but for mtb, this is definitely the most fun one for me 🙂

mashr

it’s an ebike so you don’t really need compression of any sort in the rear or front

Other than fighting pedal-bob, you really need controlled compression damping on an ebike

julians
    Free Member

Other than fighting pedal-bob

not much pedal bob on an ebike – what with the motor spinning away on your behalf – unless riding it with the motor off/in very low assistance modes.

OP- you should be able to tweak out the harshness in the suspension – a friend has the rise m20 and its not harsh IMO.

he gets similar mileage/altitude/battery figures as you do

vmgscot

Sounds interesting.

I have an H15 coming (was Feb then March hopefully April). In anticipation (its my first ebike) I joined a couple relevant Facebook groups and it seems ebikers are obsessed with stats – no pics of the trail, or stunning views just Garmin stats every post. I have never owned a bike computer or used Stava, etc so I hope I don’t get dragged down the statistical rabbit hole 🙂

weeksy

Great write up…. nice one…. Enjoyed it.

kayak23

I had to lift it over a couple of gates. Ooof. It might be a “lite” ebike but blimey

I’ve got a Wild FS. Man up! 😉😂

mashr

not much pedal bob on an ebike – what with the motor spinning away on your behalf – unless riding it with the motor off/in very low assistance modes.

That’s what I meant, but failed to show. Forget pedal-bob, focus on all the other things you need the compression doing

kelvin

Those numbers seem a bit off

They don’t to me. The Rise manages its battery use very well compared to other bikes, as long as you stick with the stock profile 1.

galling to spend 4.5k on a bike and have to swap out stuff almost immediately. Its the cheapest in the range, i get that but still.

It’s pretty obvious that every corner has been cut on component specification to get the cheapest model to its price point. It’s a way of getting the frame… it’s ripe for upgrades over the first few years with that spec.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Those numbers seem a bit off, or the Rise is the ebike unicorn, i was out last weekend on my ebike with 625wh battery, and ran it dry after 22 miles and 1100m of climbing!

Lightweight ebikes get better range because the motor is lower peak power. I think ep8-rs is 300w vs the ep8 at 500w. And remember “60%” battery is really anywhere between 41 – 60% because Shimano just show battery status using 5 bars, not a percentage. Stuff like lower rolling resistance tyres (EXO vs DD?) also make a bit of a difference.

argee

mashr

That’s what I meant, but failed to show. Forget pedal-bob, focus on all the other things you need the compression doing

Yeah, it was more that if he’s in his mid 50s and on a Rise, doing XC/Trail routes, then having compression set firm will just be negative mostly, especially if he’s finding it harsh.

The H30 has a DPS 3Pos anyway (basically a lockout lever), so compression is either open, medium or firm, so no real dialling, just leave it open when going over rough terrain.

julians
    Free Member

And remember “60%” battery is really anywhere between 41 – 60% because Shimano just show battery status using 5 bars, not a percentage

you can view the exact percentage by hooking the bike up to your phone or garmin.

hb70

Thanks everyone really helpful and I’ll check on the compression- thats a good shout thanks. Brakes I’ll save for the upgrade 🙂

I’ve checked the climbing on Strava and its 3047 feet. Agree that 3 bars left could be anywhere within 40-60%. My point I think is that using lots of boost, and not protecting the battery in any way it was still 50% after a decent ride. Display might be out. And I did work really hard on the climbs too- so maybe that helps!

Lovely responses thanks. I hope I got across its not about the numbers, it was about a summer of riding opening up again. Its also a bit of relief that the mahosive investment in cash, and research seems to have led to an outcome that will make me smile this summer.

kelvin

🌞

welshfarmer

Reminds me. I promised to do a review on my H15 which I have been riding for over a month now 🙂

StuE
    Free Member

Twin pot Deore brakes are not bad brakes, think the H30 only has 180mm rotors, cheap to upgrade to bigger discs

IdleJon

I’ve swapped the (horrible) seat

I think this is the same saddle that’s on my Laufey, and has just snapped (across the nose) after 1700 miles of use. Saddles are personal and all that, but I’ve found this one to be decent and am disappointed that I need to replace it so soon.

snakebite
    Free Member

Ive just had my first ebike, went for the M10 as the spec was perfect. First impressions, does exactly what I wanted. Ride is exceptional, as smooth as my 9.8 Remedy, but the climbing assist is just fantastic. At 55 years young id decided it was acceptable, I dont really need the help as Im probably fitter and stronger than Ive ever been on a bike, but when you are jaded after a big road ride its perfect to get you out and have some fun!
    Quite happy with the components and stuff, colours good and summers coming!

vmgscot

I promised to do a review on my H15 which I have been riding for over a month now

Lucky you @welshfarmer !
    I’m just hoping the delay on my XL H15 (down to components issues apparently) means they swap out the cranks for Shimano and we don’t get caught up in the E13 vs Shimano spat going on over motor spindle cracks.

kelvin

The M10 is absolutely sorted components wise. Big step up cash wise, but it’s the no compromise, no nonsense, no upgrades required build, for sure, if you can sell a kidney.

Shimano crank hunting…

Saddles are always for swapping out… I happen to think bikes should be sold without them, just like pedals, as they are such a personal preference item.

Matthew
    Free Member

I got an M20 last May, changed it to profile 2 & upped the assistance a bit in eco mode, use mostly trail & eco & most rides I do are between 15 -25 miles 2000 – 3500 ft climbing & haven’t run out of battery yet, I find the brakes are ok, & the E13 cranks haven’t fallen off yet, & the only thing I changed was the saddle

mark_rich
    Free Member

Interesting reading about the battery life/range.
    Has anyone running a bike with a standard ep8 with 630w battery tried setting up profile 2 to mimic the ep8RS settings if so what sort of range can you achieve. I would expect it to be pretty good, the full fat ebikes going to be a bit heavier but the battery is far bigger. As I understand it, the RS version is a standard ep8 motor with different firmware to use the battery more economically.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Orbea Rise H30 First ride(s) feedback’ is closed to new replies.