• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by drew.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Orange Stage 5 drop out spacing problem
  • drew

Hi, my Yeti asr 5 has just succumbed to old age and I’ve bought a 2017 Stage 5 frame off Ebay to build up as a possible replacement. It looks pretty immaculate having been repainted by Orange but when I came to offer up the rear wheel it wouldn’t fit without splaying the stays apart. Turns out the rear drop out spacing is 144mm rather than the 148mm I’m assuming it should be.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this with an Orange frame and whether it’s going to be more of an issue than just being a pain when trying to fit the rear wheel. Thanks in anticipation

Northwind

Orange swingarms are generally pretty flexy- long unsuported spars basically, if you bend the tips of my 224’s swingarm together without a wheel in they’re like springs. So I wouldn’t be necessarily that concerned about it personally but I’d be doing all I could to check for damage, overall misalignment etc

drew

thanks @Northwind, I did have a quick check that the wheel was running centrally and that things seemed to be in alignment looking from front to back and vice versa but I’ll have a more thorough look tomorrow. I did wonder if it might be the result of the previous owner running a non boost wheel in the frame but it seems unlikely that they would have done that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Give orange a bell and discuss with them, I’ve found they are very helpful.

drew

I did email support @ Orange but it was late this afternoon and wasn’t sure how interested they would be. I’ll follow up with a phone call if no reply after the weekend.

Tim
    Free Member

4mm total flex wouldn’t bother me at all.

Had a frame get squashed slightly in transit and it was worse than that, but was fine for years.

ayjaydoubleyou

Possibly stupid and or insulting question – are you sure it’s the bike it claims to be?
    I’ve seen people try to pass off Orange frames as 4-5 years newer than they actually are. Older five29, segments etc were 142. Remember stickers are easily sourced.

chestrockwell

My 2020 Stage 5 is reasonably tight but I don’t need to flex the stays to get the wheel in.

drew

It’s definitely a Stage 5 as it came with the original registration card. I suppose my worry is that I don’t think it would have left the factory like that and the apertures where the cables enter the rear triangle are seemingly already a weak point.
    I’ll wait to see what Orange have to say. If it’s “don’t worry about it” then all well and good but if not then I suppose I can always ask to send it back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Orange Stage 5 drop out spacing problem’ is closed to new replies.