Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Orange seem to have snuck in a few new HT models
  • qwerty
    Free Member

A hardtail tral bike, the Clockwork 100 29er & Clockwork 120 27.5 remain, and are joined by the Clockwork EVO

A 130mm morphing of a Clockwork & a Crush, slack, low & long = EVO!

Also, the 13″ Zest

Crush geometry seems to have caught up with the P7 too.

matt_outandabout

That mint green is still a great colour.

senorj

Oh bugger. New temptation.

ton

shockingly poor vfm in comparison to the likes of On One, who do pretty much the same thing as Orange. buy cheap hardtail frames abroad, then build up with bog standard bits (alex rims, oem bars/stems/posts).

i would rather spend my cash on a on one or a cube or canyon. proper vfm.
    IMHO

Goldigger
    Free Member

The zest is a 26″ wheeler.
    Shame it’s not a fat bike!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Ton – Renthal, X0… wheres’ the bog standard stuff?

They look fun!

ton

Ton – Renthal, X0… wheres’ the bog standard stuff?

yeah, on the £2600 model 😆

MoreCashThanDash

That Zest might be just the thing for LittleMissMC to grow into next year….

core

The Evo pictured above doesn’t have bog standard components, it’s well specified, but it’s £2600!

Firstly, I wouldn’t spend best part of £3k on a hardtail, but if I was going to, it sure as hell wouldn’t be an alumium Orange.

whitestone
    Free Member

One of my early MTBs was an Orange EVO-2. Really good fun – lively and responsive but a bit harsh after a while on longer XC rides. Think it cost £600

fifeandy
    Free Member

They do indeed look like a fun bike, but yeah at £2600 is (at least) double what i’d be expecting to pay for an agro hardtail.
    Would like to see a similarly slack 120mm FS at around 11-12kg – would be the perfect XC/Trail allround weapon

chestrockwell

Most people are poor vfm compared to On One. Where else can you get a FS with the spec of the Codeine for 2k?

I was looking at a P7 earlier this year and it was in the ball park of it’s competitors. Haters gonna hate though and bore the rest of us silly.

senorj

One of my early MTBs was an Orange EVO-2

I took my Evo 4 out on Sunday. It cost £850 in 2004. ha.

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks nice but wrong size wheels, come on Orange – do a decent 29er HT!

warns74
    Free Member

Looks nice but wrong size wheels, come on Orange – do a decent 29er HT!

^^^ THIS ^^^ Give us a Crush 29 and a frame only option!

ton

Haters gonna hate though and bore the rest of us silly.

and here’s me thinking this was a forum where a good bit of self opinion and debating was acceptable……… 😆

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Wow! I hadn’t looked further than the OP’s photos.

£2,600. No way. Having said that, post Euro-millions win, there is something about it I like…

Si
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

Those 29ers will be out of my price range but I’d be interested to see the geo

chestrockwell

and here’s me thinking this was a forum where a good bit of self opinion and debating was acceptable…

It is but when someone like you with an obvious bias for whatever reason consistently posts the same opinion whenever given the opportunity time, after time, after time, after time it gets tiresome.

We get that Orange upset you and we’ll all rub your back and make it better.

ton

i reckon you are having a bad day at work chest…..relax a bit. 😆

chestrockwell

Actually on the last day of my sick note so might actually be able to ride my new bike at the weekend!

I’m off to find a thread about Merlin I can moan about as I haven’t done that for a while. 😉

bigrich

the likes of On One, who do pretty much the same thing as Orange. buy something from the catalogue and put stickers on it, and basically are just a warehouse.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

shockingly poor vfm in comparison to the likes of On One, who do pretty much the same thing as Orange. buy cheap hardtail frames abroad, then build up with bog standard bits (alex rims, oem bars/stems/posts).

The flaw in that argument is that On One stuff is generally poorly designed and cheaply finished. As much as I like my Inbred it had one serious design flaw, one minor one, and crap paint. Pretty much the same as my C456. They just don’t test them properly before going into production. I’d imagine Oranges are better thought out and finished. Remove the ‘bargain blinkers’ and it all becomes a bit clearer. 🙂

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Inbred it had one serious design flaw, one minor one, and crap paint

1. What?

2. What?

3. Yes, crap.

matt_outandabout

+1 on PeterPoddy’s take on ‘good value’.

I would add in that Orange also had a fantastic warranty ‘department’ (Ben), who looked after me above and beyond. That seems rather different from the one one ‘Gallic shrug’ approach to warranty issues and spare parts supply,

Good value is not lowest cost in my experience.

Northwind

Orange are often poor vfm but you can’t compare them with On One, who cut costs by being actual crooks. There’s a middle ground there…

johnnystorm

One of my early MTBs was an Orange EVO-2

I took my Evo 4 out on Sunday. It cost £850 in 2004. ha.

Online Inflation calculator puts that at 1300 quid in 2016, and add a bit for Brexit downturn. 😉

mt
    Free Member

@Ton, even a very limited study shows there is very little in common between Orange and On One/Planet X on several levels.

ton

@Ton, even a very limited study shows there is very little in common between Orange and On One/Planet X on several levels.

and here’s me thinking that they both get there hardtail frames built in a taiwanese factory, them import them and build them up as full bikes.

then one of em sells em cheap and the other one doesn’t.

well you learn something new every day……… 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m no OO fan (or Orange fan for that matter) but that’s a terribly simplistic view of both business models.

Its like comparing apples and oranges (pun intended), both fruit from a tree, both made into juice so they must be the same.

chiefgrooveguru

both get there hardtail frames built in a taiwanese factory, them import them and build them up as full bikes.

And one of them bothers to spend the extra on decent quality control, better finish, better customer service, better warranty support and sells through dealers, whilst the other cuts every corner possible to get the price as low as possible. On-One will always be cheaper but often not better value – the consumer gets to choose their preferred approach. I’m not so keen on the On-One gamble but I’ve never bought an Orange either…

And with On-One next week your new bike could suddenly be half price due to their constant and seemingly random price changes.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Orange seem to have snuck in a few new HT models’ is closed to new replies.