Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Orange P7 drop out bolts knackered…(anyone else?)
  • waihiboy
    Free Member

Had the frame ironically just over a year, over the last few months one bolt on each dropout have come loose, tightened them up and thought it was fine.

just attempted to go out on ride and when applying the rear brake there's a horrible sound coming from the arse end and massive vibration through the frame.

checked each dropout and one bolt on each side is spinning loose and will not tighten!

i know there was a review in WMB back in early 2088 that had this problem on a test bike but orange came back and said they put the wrong bolts on the test bike.

i got the frame from a shop in Cardiff shall i just drop it down to be fixed 'i assume this is a warranty job'?

ring orange first?

anybody else have this problem?

cheers all

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

There's another thread about this here.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/08-p7-drop-out-dramas

Doesn't seem to have been any follow up though.

coatesy
    Free Member

First port of call is the shop, give them a call first.

waihiboy
    Free Member

cheers lads,

i have the 08 frame but only two bolts in the drop out.

hopefully the others who posted on theo ther thread will see this aswell

if you read this can you let me know how you got on

enfht
    Free Member

I posted on the thread above

You need to fit the modified dropout by the sounds of it

The new dropout has worked fine for me

waihiboy
    Free Member

cheers enfht,

did you buy the modified dropout from orange?

was it free?

ta

travellingman
    Free Member

As helpful as Orange may be they're clearly going to stick with their existing design philosophy, however flawed it may be. You may have to contemplate 'going it alone' to achieve a satisfactory outcome despite the fact that the frame's still within warranty.

Do the bolts thread into the adjustable plate or are they a nut and bolt job? If the former you've got a finite life span either way. I'd go with the latter option, subject to the 'meat' of the surrounding area and drill out, fixing an M8 bolt with a 'nyloc' nut and maybe even some thread lock.

Don't be tempted to use stainless steel as despite looking lovely, it has, to the best of my knowledge, a lower tensile strength than mild steel.

I thought Orange may have solved this with their modified triangulated dropout but after reading the other thread, it seems not.

After spending a lot of time with motorcycles I have to say that most bicycle engineering is pants….

Good luck chap.

Mackem

I had to replace mine with the new dropouts on their website. They've been fine since. It's a bit of a pain in the arse but I think in general the flexibility allowed by the design is worth it. The dropouts should be a lot cheaper though.

fozzybear
    Free Member

My mates died after 12 months orange took it back, fixed the issue and returned it with 3 bolts in the dropout all at 5mm (old one was 2 at 4 mm).

Don't mess about with contact orange direct they were very helpful and advised to return the bike to the shop, they stripped the parts and sent it up to orange who did the repairs and returned it.

waihiboy
    Free Member

cheers all,

bit miffed as it's lasted this long.

gonna give orange a ring in the morning.

enfht
    Free Member

was it free?

😆 no

I think their new P7's have three bolts as standard

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I think their new P7's have three bolts as standard

Yes they do. Not sure what size they are, but probably 5mm.

waihiboy
    Free Member

sorted, called orange and they admitted there is/was a fault and they are sending out the new dropouts.

cheers all

enfht
    Free Member

OK….how much then?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Orange P7 drop out bolts knackered…(anyone else?)’ is closed to new replies.