Orange P7 29 sizing

Home Forum Bike Forum Orange P7 29 sizing

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Orange P7 29 sizing
  • cupotea

I’m looking at an Orange P7 29 but am struggling to locate an XL to check for sizing, I don’t suppose anyone around 6’2″ has one and can advise?  Any general opinions or reviews also welcome.

wl

Got the 27.5 and it’s absolutely mint.  Around 5′ 10″ and the medium suits me fine (though a large would work too, probably). Think the 29er is a pound or two heavier but should be amazing downhill.

cupotea

It does look like a steamroller!  I’m hoping it would pedal ok for longer days too. I’m really struggling between that and a Sonder Signal Ti

warns74

Interested in this too and had no joy in sourcing an XL to try. Also quite interested in the new Crush 29 too.

Have there been any other reviews other than the bike radar one.

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/orange-p7-29-s-review-51939/

Bit hard to tell from this whether they didn’t like the bike that much or whether it was the build kit that let it down?

cupotea

I’m surprised how little there is in the way of reviews. I would have thought people would have been all over them. The BikeRadar review does look like a lot of it is a spec issue but as I’m looking at the RS it’s a very expensive gamble.

That said, as my other option is a bike which is barely out and has no demo fleet, I’m not making things easy for myself!

wl

cupotea – just in case it helps, I use mine for everything – steep and techy Calderdale cheeky stuff as well as 30+ mile Pennine loops over the moors, on rocky trails with virtually no tarmac. Can’t see why the 29er won’t do this stuff too.  Obviously it’s not quite as comfy all day as a full-sus (I have one of those too) but it’s a total blast to ride, super simple, and mine’s needed no attention whatsoever until now, 2 years (and 2 winters) after buying.  The bike just works, ride after ride, in all conditions – dry, mud, snow. Only just replaced my transmission and all bearings. Crush is a similar thing, really, especially now regulations mean that the difference between steel and alu is less obvious.

cupotea

Thank you wl. Food for thought 🙂

My 650b 2017 is ace. I’m 6’ 2” also and only just squeeze on to the large. My XL Segment fits like a glove.

jamesgc

How come the p7 29 seems to.be on sale everywhere yet the 27.5 p7 is not? 29er not as popular in the UK?

I’m shopping for a p7 at the moment and can’t decide which to get .it’s hard to find a bike shop with stock these days.

Burchy1

Not as tall as you (5’10”) so i cant comment on the XL, i’ve got the P7 29 in large which i think fits my ape proportions perfectly.

Steamroller would be a good starting statement for it, it does just roll over everything…quicky! As i’ve got used to it i’ve learnt that it can be nimble and reactive it just needs a little more input than the 26er hardtail i had before, and thats certainly not a bad thing just something different to get used to.

I love it and certainly think (for me and my riding) that 29er HT’s are the way to go.

Marin

Got a medium 650b P7 I’m 5 6/7”. Felt way too big a first but fits fine. Great fun to ride on all terrains. Blew 3 tubes first time out doing jumps on it. Tubeless for the win. Climbs really well. Off on 4 week bikepacking trip next week on it. Got a full susser but it’s pretty much been ignored since I got the P7.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

The Orange’s 66.5-degree head angle means it isn’t as front-end stable as bikes with 65-degree head tubes.

Really? Would that be true compared to a 64 degree HA then, Guy? How about 63? Talk about stating the obvious just to fill up a word count. 🙄 (It’s from that review linked above.)

mrb123

I’m 6’4″ and an XL Clockwork 129S seems a great fit although the geometry isn’t quite the same as the P7.

Premier Icon gkeeffe
    Subscriber

I’m 5’9 and ride a small P7 27.5 as its the same reach as my medium  Bronson mkII … You might be ok on a large

zip

Probably not much help but thought I would add my experience so far.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I’m 5’10 on a large P7 29er RS. Had it a few months and have done most of my riding on it since it arrived. Its my first 29er, so felt big anyway to start with but got used to it fairly quickly and now it feels normal. </span>

I had to change the bars as the supplied ones were far too wide for twisting between the trees.

I like it and can’t really find fault with it at the moment. I didn’t quite get that mbr review, but then I don’t ride loads of different bikes to compare it too.

bootsy

Will have had my P7 29 for nearly a year soon. Its a beast, fast and stable. Longish, slackish and lowish but not in the way you think – it has unfashionably long chainstays… its not poppy, you have to work at it to get air. It wants to keep you on the ground and keep you fast. It climbs well with no front wheel wanderings. It isn’t lightweight either but with decent kit it’s not too bad (remember it’s designed for Enduro use as well). I run mine 1×10, 140mm fork, 29er in the winter but this summer has been with plus tyres 2.6 on back, 2.8 on the front which has slackened the head angle a bit more. I don’t have any problems mixing it with my full sus mates. It has a muted ride feel from the steel frame which I really love. The Bike radar review isn’t wrong, but with decent kit on this bike steam rollers on. Did I mention its bloody fast – I sold my Orange Four after riding this thing!

meezog74

Cupotea, That’s exactly where I am in my choices right now, Sonder Signal Ti or Orange P7 29s?

As you said, tracking down a P7 29s in XL (the L I’ve tried felt a little short in the top tube) is hard enough but getting a sonder to swing a leg over is probably impossible without buying one.

What did you get in the end?

warns74

Bit of thread resurrection, but anyone had a look at the p7 29 and the new Crush 29? Im a bit torn! I’m tempted by the crush but have never had a steel HT and am intrigued by the p7 29.

I was looking at the two the other day and whilst I am sure there are more differences than this, it did look like you could fit an angleset to the P7 and get pretty much the same geo numbers as the Crush 29.

I’ve been eyeing up a discounted P7 29 which is why I did the comparison.

wl

Think the difference between steel and alu frames is less than it used to be in terms of ride characteristics, owing to safety standards, overbuilding etc etc.  If this is the case, I’d be tempted by the lighter Crush.  I have a the 650b P7 and it’s absolutely mint, but it’s a couple of pounds lighter than the 29er version, I think. Can’t go wrong with either though, I’m sure.

scuttler

Do the bigger wheel sizes contribute more to the overall feel of the bike than the frame material at least when comparing to something with 26 inch wheels? Genuinely dunno but just a thought. I got a bargain basement Clockwork 129s back in July and it goes like stink! Not maximum shred but well capable and a wicked alternative to my Five.

warns74

Anyone got an XL P7 29 yet and care to post some pictures?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.