Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Orange Five – Rear Brake Hose
  • FieldMarshall

Hi,

All being well I should be taking delivery of a new Five frame tomorrow.

Has anyone got any tips for feeding the rear brake hose through the swingarm, as I would like to avoid filling the rear swingarm with hydraulic fluid if at all possible!

sharki
    Free Member

A spoke seems to the common solution, give it a gentle curve and wiggle it about, oh and don’t forget to remove the grommets, but feed the spoke through them at each end.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I redid my rear brake hose twice on my Sub 5 (same set-up). 1st time it took about 15 minutes second time 3 minutes.

Probably best not to tackle it when you’ve had a few or are in a rush as it could take a few minutes to quite a few minutes.

i did find that I needed a bit of wire to pull the hose out of the hole at the back end though so a spoke is a good idea.

twohats
    Free Member

Or a long length of wire that is able to keep its shape but quite “bendy”!
    Feed it all the way through swingarm, push hose or cable outer onto it, feed cable/hose through swingarm whilst gently pulling wire.
    Do reverse of the above whenever removing cable/hose, leaving the wire in place to make the job of shoving them back through simple!

*This is what Orange and most Orange dealers do*

elliptic
    Free Member

What twohats said.

Or don’t bother and route externally:

uplink
    Free Member

I found it very simple just to feed the hose in & fish it out at the axle end with a small screwdriver
    2 mins – tops
    just twist it around until it’s in a good position to hook it

FieldMarshall

I assume that by pushing a “wire” into the hose, the surface tension of the fluid will be broken and it will leak fluid?

twohats
    Free Member

You will lose minimal fluid using the wire, not enough to worry about but you will need to give the brakes a bleed through.

FieldMarshall

Cheers for advice.

I will try without the wire to start with.

Not sure why Orange choose to route the hose and gear cable through the swingarm. Seems like a lot of faff.

elliptic
    Free Member

Looks neater I suppose. That said mine’s still routed as per the picture, the bend under the shock takes up the suspension movement instead of the cable & hose sawing back & forth past the shock and mount.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Run it like elliptic said. Stops the annoying cable pinging noises too.

FieldMarshall

I assume the cable/hoses are just zip tied?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five – Rear Brake Hose’ is closed to new replies.