• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by wl.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Orange Five or Santa Cruz Hightower???
  • Urks75

Want to buy British and support orange, but been super impressed with my 12yr old SC Heckler, now appreciate I need to
    Move on from 26”. Ride a mix of trails, days out, short trips, technical descents, woods etc. 5’11” 90kg if that makes a difference, any tips or advise welcomed.

Marin
    Free Member

I bought a Santa Cruz then swapped it for a Five. It’s been battered about all over the U.K., Alps and Spain. Personal preference. They’re not pretty but then neither am I.

Paceman
    Free Member

They’re two very different bikes, and will also both be very different compared to your well-loved SC Heckler. I’d try and get a couple of demo rides if you can.

tomhoward

any tips or advise welcomed.

Get as many demo’s on as many bikes as you can. Bikes have changed a LOT in the last 12 years. None more so than the heckler 😉

GolfChick
    Free Member

Woah those are complete opposite ends of a riding specture right there. Echo from above having had at least 2 hecklers now, the new hightower is very different to that and the orange five is very different to that from many other aspects than the price.

scuttler

Bird. Pseudo-british.

sheck

Funnily enough, I’m pondering the same decision, although have also thrown a Bronson and a Stage 5 into a shortlist of 4.

Used to love single pivots, but have had a 3rd gen Tallboy for the past 3 years and can’t fault it, other than I now live somewhere rockier than I did when I bought it, so I want a little more grrrr! I see that I can get a demo on the Santa Cruz’s at Glentress… anyone know a good venue for a demo on the Orange equivalent?

hugoagogo
    Free Member

I had an orange 5, great bike, smashed loads of PRs on peak district descents vs santa cruz nomad v3 and it was more fun to ride.

My unsophisticated riding preferred the single pivot to the VPP.

3 mates have them too and all love them, but we’ve all had at least one replacement swingarm. Orange have been great with the warranty for those who bought new but it’s a bit shoddy that they all cracked in the same place

scuttler

https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/demo-day

See also https://www.orangebikes.co.uk/orange-dealers for which dealers have what bikes and sizes available for demo.

itlab
    Free Member

Defiantly get a demo (both will probably be at the leisure lakes demo day in March at Cannock)

I’ve ridden a 5 and a Bronson back to back when I was looking

The single pivot vs vpp thing is defiantly personal preference. the behaviour when climbing and under braking gives them a very different feeling (personally I preferred the vpp dispute going into the demo with my eyes on the 5)

But from the list you have I’d also suggest a stage 4 and a Bronson if your not sure about 27vs 29

IdleJon

3 mates have them too and all love them, but we’ve all had at least one replacement swingarm.

According to someone on the thread linked below a cracked Orange is a rarity. 😀

Orange 4 for small person – better options ?

hugoagogo
    Free Member

I thought it was a rarity to find one without a new back end! A couple of them are on their 3rd one.

To be fair to orange they’ve been really good but it’s an inconvenience.

That said, I’d probably have another, but then I’d probably have a punt on a high tower too if I hadn’t replaced the 5 with a Jeffsey.

rjmccann101

On the recommend what you’ve got front I’d suggest having a look at the Airdrop Edit V3. If your anywhere near Sheffield you can get a test ride in the Peak District.

yoshimi

I’ve had a couple of Fives and now on a Hightower LT – 2012 Five was pretty much the perfect trail bike (IMO), 2017 Five (which went the long/low/slack route) I found a bit wallowy, heavy/dead feeling and just couldn’t really get on with it, and that was after much time spend messing with Shockwiz. THe Hightower suits me better for an all day riding bike but the 2017 Five was probably better for the odd trip to Antur Stiniog etc

StuE
    Free Member

British made and full builds cheaper than either Orange or Santa Cruz
    https://www.stantonbikes.com/product-category/complete-bikes/full-suspension-complete/
    Would definitely be on my shortlist

alpineharry
    Free Member

Again, in true fashion of suggest what you own. Have you considered Starling bikes? The murmur is 140mm rear and a 29″ (They do a swoop which has 160mm of rear travel and 27.5″ wheels). The murmur would be pretty close to what you’re after and handmade in Bristol by Joe, you can get in contact and he’ll be able to arrange a demo.

I have owned a 2014 Orange 5 and a 2017 Santa Cruz nomad, although I liked those two too, I prefer the feel of the Starling (Steel). The Orange was good fun but a little short / small in a 17″ / M, I am about 179cm / 5ft 10″. However, I think they no longer do that sizing, and may just mainly be available in an 18″

chestrockwell

The last time I compared Orange to SC was around 2014 When I tested a 5 RS and Tallboy back to back. Didn’t get on with the SC at all, just didn’t seem to involve you in the same way as the 5.

I am a fan of Orange though and currently ride a Segment. Have not managed to crack one yet and I’ve had 4.

brads
    Free Member

Spent ages choosing British and went with a 5 factory. Utterly brilliant bike and way faster than I am,, yet 🙂

Surprisingly light for a bike that can feel built like a tank.

I have the new 2020 which is slightly different geometry.

pnik

I tested a Hightower vs. Orange segment, bought the segment, even after not really ever bonding with my 2012 5. I had a 2004 5 which I loved. I do think your choice is slightly odd comparison, but I was sold on 29, so didn’t really consider a 27,5 option. As above I like the orange as it was a familiar feeling but also I think doesn’t completely remove the trail in the way the Hightower does. brilliant but more disconnected from the lumps and bumps of the terrain. I also ride a hard tail too, so I guess that’s me. I also favoured metal hammered in the uk, but hey I’m sentimental.

andybrad

get the hightower, better bike all round imo.

but a demo will confirm this for you.

orange used to be progressive and bullet proof. not any more.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you considered the Stage 5 or Stage 6 as rivals to the Hightower?

The current Orange bikes go like scalded cats and 29in wheels can really make the most of their qualities.

Demo both though, Oranges are not for everyone.

There are some awesome deals about on the outgoing models still, but you need to size up IMO.

I’m 5ft 8in on a large Stage 6 (which I love).

wl
    Free Member

Had a 2017 Five for two years and it’s the most fun and versatile bike I’ve owned in 25 years’ riding. The fastest too. I went Factory spec and the 36s really work well on it, plus the Float X shock: just adds a bit of big hit capability for the roughest trails, for a small weight penalty. The bike’s been reliable too. I ride Pennines and Lakes, proper trails and cheeky trails, steeps and rough, quick blasts and all-day epics, the lot. It would be fine in the Alps too, on natural stuff (not jumps). I demoed the Stage 5 but found the 27.5 Five was nippier and more agile/fun – personal taste, but it suited me better. When I eventually sell it on, I’ll buy another Five.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five or Santa Cruz Hightower???’ is closed to new replies.