• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by hb70.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Orange Five frame- stupid idea?
  • hb70

Is this a stupid idea?

My riding buddy is on the same Saracen Manta £700 hardtail we started on 4 years back. He’d love to move to a FS but family/job/money/priorities does not allow it.

I had an idea at the weekend about buying an old Orange Five 26″ frame from Ebay, and switching all/most of the components from his Saracen. I’m interested in doing it for him as a gift/surprise/loan (not sure of the money mechanics yet- depends on cost I should think).

Key info
    1. He’s only 5ft 4ish so a 26″ wheel is still pretty much in proportion. I’d need a small/medium frame.
    2. I don’t have the skills to do it, so would need someone in the Calderdale area to do the switch/build. What might I pay for this kind of thing?
    3. We’re in Calderdale so the Orange Five thing is the obvious choice- but not critical. Its sort of a timeless classic round here though.

That’s it. Do your worst. All views welcome.

nicholas_yiu

I had couple of 26″ Orange Five before. There are pros and cons.

Pros:

Although my Yeti 575 is a much faster and easier to ride bike, I would say the Orange Five is more rewarding to ride. If I have the money and space, I will have another one any day.

It is a bike that I will ride in all weather, the single pivot system is so easy to maintain I wouldn’t worry about getting it wet and muddy.

Cons:
    You pay a scene tax for owning a Orange Five. When I sold my last one, the 650B revolution already began. It was in really good condition with a nearly new Kashima RP23, new bearings and a Maxle rear end, but the frame went for nearly £600 on Ebay which was quite a lot. It funded an upgrade to a Yeti 575 + a Cotic Soul which worked in my favor.

If cost is a concern, don’t go for an Orange 5 as you might not get as much for your money.

Things to watch out for:

You definitely need a small. I am 5ft 7 and was much more comfortable on a small compared to a medium. I ride Medium with most other manufacturers for your reference.

Other than that, try and go for a later one as they are less likely to crack and the geometry is better. Orange kind of gradually improved their design base on warranty claims and feedbacks.

righog
    Free Member

You would have to make sure the compatabilty between manta parts and the Five frame…Forks would be the first to check does the Manta have a tapered steerer tube ?…if so you are looking at a post 2011 frame for example.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What a great idea!

OK, I’m 5’8″ and used to ride one of the last 26″ Fives in small/16″ and that felt like I was on the limit so I’d definitely look for a 16″. Luckily these seem to be pretty cheap – the 17″s (same standover but longer TT) seem to attract a premium.

As has been said above you need to check compatibility with the stuff on the Saracen. What year Mantra was it? Some of the stuff might simply not be good enough to hang on a Five. My wife had a Mantra about 4/5 years back and it was a heap – Altus/Alivio level gears, cable brakes, Suntour steel stancioned forks etc.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Forgot to add, I might be able to spare some time in helping with a build. I’m in Calderdale, southern edge of Halifax just outside Sowerby Bridge.

legend
    Free Member

Think there is already some sizing confusing going on here. Small/medium/large is relatively new for Fives, 26″ versions were:

14″ short (Diva only, for tiny people)
    14″ long
    16″
    17″
    18″
    20″
    22″

at 5’4″ you’re mate will be after a 16″, which are pretty common anyway

hb70

Great advice and offers thanks everyone. I will do some research on compatability and look out for a 16″ Frame. I’m hoping the small size/26″ wheel combination will bring the price down low enough for it to be feasible.

@Daveyboy thanks I will let you know if it goes further.

Thanks all

roverpig

The good thing about Fives it that they’ve just evolved over the years. So, whatever era your mate’s bike happens to be, there is probably a Five to match.

I’ll probably sell my Smuggler before I get rid of my 26″ Five. The Smuggler is better in every single way, but I love the Five.

Gratuitous picture time 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

The only sticking point for me would be the forks – the Mantra would have come with 120mm travel forks, the Five is a 140mm travel frame and designed for a 140mm fork.

thomthumb
    Free Member

frames with a straight steerer are really cheap. Frames with a tapered steerer command a little bit more.

Straight forks are getting less common now – you’ll have to be sure his will transfer over.

Pinkbike classifieds worth a look. A mate picked up a lovely orange 5 frame with shock, headset BB for ~ 650.

Having said that another mate picked up a meta 55, complete bike with full XT 9speed. for £450. that was & is a decent bike.

devash
    Free Member

The only sticking point for me would be the forks – the Mantra would have come with 120mm travel forks, the Five is a 140mm travel frame and designed for a 140mm fork.

If this turns out to be the case then an older Santa Cruz (if you want to stay single pivot) or Specialized Stumpjumper / Camber or Giant Trance frame might go better with 120mm forks.

pictonroad

I service my next door neighbour’s mantra, I don’t think there’s much on it I’d bother swapping to a five. Maybe the wheels at a push.

It’s a lovely idea though.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Do a search for a Cannondale Prophet on Ebay. Similar to the 5 but fugly so therefore cheaper. They are great bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

How much are you looking at spending?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Looking for a Prophet is a good idea. It’ll need a new headset most likely but they are really great bikes and will go for much less than a Five.

kudos100
    Free Member

Agree with the posts above. If you are on a budget, forget about a five and look at a prophet or something like a pitch, and save a few hundred quid.

hb70

Thanks all. Will have a look at all of the links

nwill1
    Free Member

I still ride a 2012 Five, great bike IMO…not saying it’s ‘the best’ or ‘the fastest’ but between the legs of a decent rider that rip and are loads of fun.

I think you’ll get one at a good price I’ve seen Mk1 650b frames going for £400£-450. 26″ is dead apparently so should be a good chunk cheaper!

I’d go for a later model with 30.9 seat tube and tapered head tube for longevity, think that’s post 2011.

matt_outandabout

We just picked up a fab Orange Five, 26″ of the last year they made them.
    Cost was £650iirc, stand/hope, SLX 1x, dropper, RP2 and Recon.

It may be worth a hunt of a complete bike for a cheaper cost…?

hb70

Matt that does indeed sound like a better idea. Will keep eyes peeled. I think i was hoping for the £500 mark for a frame and rebuild. But the components are always going to be weak. Good feedback. I’ll put a shout out for complete 26″ bikes in 16″ frame. Thanks for advices.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five frame- stupid idea?’ is closed to new replies.