Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Orange Five 20" headtube conundrums
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’ve recently bought a 20″ Five Frame (2011) which is coming in the post, it has a hope headset.
    I was wandering what length steerers people have been running in their Fives.
    My forks have a steerer of only around 185mm, and I think it’ll be seriously hit or miss as to whether they’ll fit!
    Thanks for any advice/input

grantway
    Free Member

Found this on Orange archive
    The head tube size on the 16 & 18 inch frame is 130mm and 150mm on the 20inch frame

Orange Five Geom 2011

coatesy
    Free Member

Head-tubes are 150mm according to Orange,if that helps you.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Sounds like they won’t fit, then – I don’t think 35mm is going to be enough to play with, what with headset installed and stuff.

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s a semi integrated headset, so hasn’t got much depth to it. No spacers and you may just get away with it,if you don’t, a shallower stem may save the day.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Well, I’ll wait for the frame to arrive – I was planning on running no spacers anyway, and the renthal duo stem is pretty low 🙂

jonk

From experience your looking at a 210mm steerer length for the forks. This was my dads with king headset and thomson stem.

lank45
    Free Member

Renthal stem is 40mm deep, may have around 5mm for the headset, may just do it!

06awjudd
    Free Member

Does it matter if the top cap has a slight gap between it and the top of the steerer?

06awjudd
    Free Member

Does anyone know the stack height of a hope integrated headset?

coatesy
    Free Member

Top of the stem should sit approx 3mm above the steerer.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Can I get away with it being any lower?

coatesy
    Free Member

Not by a lot, the top bolt should be able to clamp the steerer, won’t be much use clamping fresh air.

ivantate
    Free Member

About 210 with standard headset

06awjudd
    Free Member

How many spacers are you using ivantate? And what stem?

gamo
    Free Member

I have same frame and my steerer is 215mm, hope headset renthal stem with 5mm spacer below and 10mm above.

lank45
    Free Member

Which hope headset is in the frame? Tapered, reducer? They are either 11mm or 13mm so a steerer length of 185mm is not going to work! Sorry

06awjudd
    Free Member

Tapered. If I ran a 30mm stacked stem, it might work?!

gamo
    Free Member

Don’t think so,reckon you would still be about 10mm short!

06awjudd
    Free Member

Bloody hell!! Why do builds never go exactly to plan? I guess I’m gonna need some new forks 🙁

Anybody want a pair of 2011 Fox 36 Floats? White, V.Good condition bar a small scratch on one of the stickers?

lank45
    Free Member

Are they Kashima?

So doing the maths – 150mm headtube + 11mm integrated hope tapered headset + 40mm renthal stem – (approx.) 4mm play from top of stem to steerer tube = 197mm

30mm stem = 187mm (maybe get away with a bit more if the stem was unbroken like a Thomson). Only one way to find out!!!

lank45
    Free Member

ps I think it’s…I guess I’m gonna need some new forks 😀

06awjudd
    Free Member

Yeah, I guess I may as well wait for the frame to arrive, and hope they may fit 😕
    Unfortunately, they aren’t Kashimas – i’d be wanting around £350 if they don’t fit.

gamo
    Free Member

Just had a quick look and my exact steerer length is 217mm and there is about 1.5mm below the stem top, so removing spacers i would still need 202mm for current setup.

br
    Free Member

Does it matter if the top cap has a slight gap between it and the top of the steerer?

There should be a gap…

06awjudd
    Free Member

@b r I meant like a gap of 10mm or so – apparently 3mm is normal.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Thanks Gamo – yeah I’m 90% sure it’ll mean new forks – I may be able to pay someone to swap the same forks but with a longer steerer if I’m lucky 😛

larrystumbles
    Free Member

I’ve got a very similar set up, can’t remember the precise steerer length on my forks but with a 20 inch 5 frame and hope headset I had to run a ragley stubbing stem (30mm stack height) with no spacers to get it all to fit. But it does fit and is absolutely fine. Ragley did the lowest stack height I could find….

wukfit
    Free Member

There is a set of fox 36 160mm uppers on eBay, tapered 195mm long I think?
    £70 or something like that
    May be worth a look but still may be a tad short

coatesy
    Free Member

Fox uppers don’t last too well anyway, maybe worth looking for wear marks on yours as a valid reason for a new set, maybe a Kashima upgrade even. If they aren’t worn then they’ll fetch a few quid on the second hand market.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Call MOJO and get a quote for new uppers. Might work out easier then selling / buying new forks, but I guess the price is the decision maker…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five 20" headtube conundrums’ is closed to new replies.