Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Orange Clockwork 137 2018, anybkdy got one?
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Evening all,

Im on the hunt for a bike to get me going again after a shore break from cycling. Like the look of the 2018 Orange Clockwork 137 S, plus there are some good deals out there on the bike.

Anybody got one and care to share what it’s like? I have had an Orange five, Alpine and a Four and like them all so fair to say I’m a fan of the brand.

I was looking at Cotic Soul’s aswell but a full build Is too expensive at the minute.

Should I just click buy at £1200 for the Clockwork and be done with it?

Bike is for a bit of everything from family jaunts to trail centre haunts and some natural XC riding.

Any real life reviews greatly appreciated.

joebristol

I was considering buying the clockwork 137 frame – it sounds like a good all round trail bike with modern but not excessively long geometry.

For £1200 the S looks like a good deal to me. Pretty good forks / solid drivetrain etc.

1981miked
    Free Member

Yeah can’t say I’m disappointed in the spec for the price. Forks are good quality as are the components. I wouldn’t build it up any fancier than as it comes other than lighter wheels and shiny hubs.. but that’s an excuse to upgrade later.

Considered buying the frame and building it myself but I would struggle to build it for £1200 to that spec.

joebristol

It would be pretty tight to build for that cost yes -£300 for the frame, and £350 for a comparable fork ( x fusion sweep is cheaper and better than the revs), plus say £250 for mech / cassette / shifter / cranks / B.B. Already at £900 before you start on wheels / tyres / brakes / seatpost / saddle / headset / bars / stem / grips. It all adds up rapidly!

1981miked
    Free Member

Not as cheap as it used to be to build one yourself. That was always my default choice but it’s just not worth it anymore.

I will sleep on it tonight and make a decision tomorrow.

Looked at second hand aswell but nothing making me say “oh I must have that”.

joebristol

I should just click ‘buy’ because shiny.

That mint sort of colour is also beautiful.

1981miked
    Free Member

I think you and I should.. to be continued.

joebristol

Just bought a cheapie frame instead!

sbob
    Free Member

I bought one recently.
    First new MTB for 18yrs so difficult to compare to anything you might be familiar with.
    Seems like a good amount of bike for the money. My only complaints are that the gearing is too short (It’s my only bike and I live in Cambridge, so run out of gears quite easily with a 30t) and that my hands appear to inhabit different counties, but then I have short arms and no shoulders (I’m about six foot but took a punt on a medium which seems good to me) and hacksaws are cheap.
    It feels like more bike than I need, which is ideal.
    It comes with a dropper post that doesn’t appear to exist (seriously; google the Kore dropper, it’s nowhere).
    If you’re passing Cambridge give us a nod.

ETA: it is a lovely looking bike which matches my favourite T-shirt, that’s the most important thing.

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks sbob. I sat on a medium Orange Crush at a shop near me and was surprised how comfy I felt on it as my default is to buy a small at 5ft 6. The frame was very low slung which appears to be the case with the Clockwork aswell. Reach wise it felt perfect. So I’m kind of swithering on size aswell, it will be used for some sedate rides and long days so I think I’d rather have some room to get comfy.

scuttler

I have a 129 and it’s a right hoot. Not especially light but a great all-round trail bike and I prefer riding it to my Five on anything but the rocky tech. I’m 5-8 and got a medium. £1200 is a bargain but don’t hang around as you’ll be paying 2019 prices for the ‘Clockwork Evo’ soon.

£1079 at Rutland with code BIKE10. Buybuybuybuybuybuybuy!

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/orange-clockwork-137-s-2018-275-inch-hardtail-mountain-bike_460007

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanks Scuttler.. I think. You may have just cost me £1079. That’s a total bargain at that price.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Orange Clockwork 137 2018, anybkdy got one?’ is closed to new replies.