Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Orange Carbo
  • smogmonster

OK, so ive been umming and ahhing for a while about getting a road bike..anyhow my LBS has just taken delivery of an Orange Carb-o, which looks the mutts danglies IMHO. I know next to diddly about road groupsets, so i want to know how does 105 (as fitted on the Carb-o) scrub up? Is it any good, and is it about right for an £1800 bike…or would i end up paying a daft ‘premium’ cos it says Orange on the frame?

jonk

Its about £800 overpriced IMO and I have 3 oranges.

druidh
    Free Member

^ That.

It’s a generic carbon frame with some fancy decals and middle-of-the-road groupset. You could get something like a Cube GTC Agree with a higher spec for a lot less money.

Rorschach
    Free Member

105=Slx,Ultegra=Xt.
    For that money you can get a Giant Tcr Ultegra,Cannondale Synapse ultegra,trek 3.5 (ultegra),Planet X RT57 Sram Red!! and there’s still canyon,cube and focus to think of!
    You’re paying a lot over the odds for having one to match your 5 😉

smogmonster

Ok folks, thanks for that. That confirms what i feared, and reminds me why i have never bought an Orange in the past….shame, cos its utterly gorgeous to look at!

honourablegeorge
    smogmonster

Sod it then, ive just noticed that the Boardman Team, which usually costs £1500 is going for £1080 in Halfords…carbon frame, 105 group etc. I assume that value wise its about as good as it gets?

crazy-legs

I assume that value wise its about as good as it gets?

Boardman’s are good value for money even at full RRP!
    Cube and Canyon are also worth a look and if you can still find anywhere with 2011 Specialized/Trek etc in your size, they’ll be going cheap as well.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi mate, I have the 2010 boardman team c and am very happy with it.

smogmonster

Cheers Chaka…im gonna have to stop following you in bike choices, i feel like a stalker…first the Frittz, next the Boardman…

joeegg
    Free Member

I thought the Oranges were all sold out.
    Bought a Cube Agree Pro from CRC ,mostly Ultegra,FSA bits,Mavic wheels,£980.I think the carbon one is about £300 more.
    As for the Orange,its for the mtb’ers that have already bought their overpriced mountain bikes.

smogmonster

Aye, the Oranges are all sold out…but my LBS (Bank Cycles in Catterick Garrison) has got one in stock (medium). I was gonna have it, but seeing as it is really overpriced as RRP, ive bought a Boardman Team Carbon instead, same spec, only £720 cheaper!

Northwind

I think the Carbo was intended purely to test the water- ie, find out exactly how much they can charge for an Orange sticker. Lots, was the answer.

druidh
    Free Member

Can someone lend me an Orange sticker for a few weeks?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sweet.

Some people are a bit snobbish about Boardmans, but personally I quite like having a road bike that screams “clueless noob”, that way I don’t disappoint anybody.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sweet.

Some people are a bit snobbish about Boardmans, but personally I quite like having a road bike that screams “clueless noob”, that way I don’t disappoint anybody.

I think the boardmans look good. They dont scream “clueless noob” rather, “I’m clued up and know whats good value for money”

The Orange on the other hand looks horrid.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The Orange looks ok, I wouldnt buy one, but then I like my road bikes to be Italian (or at least have an Italian badge 😛 ). My lbs has a specialized for £1600 which isnt even 105, its Tiagra. Makes the Orange look almost normal….

Alex

I have a Boardman Team from a couple of years ago. Cost me 1k then for the Carbon frame. I did put some nice Fulcrum wheels on it but for 1k, it was brilliant value and it’s very nice to ride. And I was a vociferous hater of road bikes 😉

Kuco

I’ve just got a 2011 Cannondale supersix with full Ultegra apart from a carbon FSA sl-k crankset and Mavic Aksium wheels for £2000

closetroadie
    Free Member

105 groupsets are considered a bit heavy.

skywalker
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the price of the Orange. There are bikes around that price with worst or the same kit.

As for the frame being generic, most are.

There will always be brands like Boardman and Canyon etc that have better kit for the money, but what really matters is how it fits/rides.

If you like it buy it.

Northwind

skywalker – Member

Nothing wrong with the price of the Orange. There are bikes around that price with worst or the same kit.

And they’re awful value too. Orange don’t have an exclusive on charging too much, but they’re good at it

skywalker
    Free Member

No they are average. Companies like Boardman and Canyon are just extremely cheap.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Orange Carbo’ is closed to new replies.