Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Orange Blood
  • hora
    Free Member

Richyb I hear you however there would be other benefits, quicker stock-turn, you wouldnt have as many lost-sales. How many punters wanted a new frame only to be told it was on a container/out of stock or simply checked the website and decided to order their second-choice instead from another manufacturer? Making up the lost sales would also help on costs etc. Are there any EU startup funds for new manufacturing/grants etc available?

Del

sad fact is hora that manufacturing in britain is on it’s arse. if you can find someone with the skills and resources to make something properly you’ll invariably end up paying a fortune to get it done.
    mate and i looked at getting some light housings made a couple of years ago. 3 pieces, machined from ally bar ( nothing terribly complicated ), around 15 quid a piece.
    priced for the same work, but tapped holes where required ( 6 ), anodised finished, 15 quid for three, shipped.
    i find it somewhat amusing that people are prepared to pay for a bike manufactured in the US over one made in the UK because they perceive it to be of greater value. the same situation exists moving the other way ( ie the yanks would probably buy an orange over a SC ) for the same reasons. it’s exotic, innit?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I think the orange is reasonably priced in comparison to offerings from other companies.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimmerhimself
    Free Member

I find it quite amusing that some people put such stock and importance in frame warranties. For a start you’re asking a company to warrant a piece of equipment that is going to be heavily used, abused and stressed.

They only have your word that you have used the frame within the limits of its design and have fitted parts correctly and designed to work with the frame.

On top of this nearly every single FS frame these days is made from Aluminium, a material that is fairly brittle and fatigues quite rapidly.

Now here’s two interesting examples of the value of warranties for you. The rear mech hanger failed on my Litespeed road bike, the frame was aluminium and the mech hanger didn’t fail as it should have and it trashed the rear dropout as well.

The frame was in warranty but Litespeed’s warranty on that frame was repair or crash replacement. They refused to repair it and instead offered me a cost price Ti frame which was ludicrously expensive.

My mate has a Cove Hummer (Ti frame), which was made by Litespeed. The downtube cracked beneath the gusset and Cove said they’d get it fixed. Six months later he got the frame back, all repaired and as good as new – but in the meantime he was without a bike and six months is way too long to wait in my book (and his as it turned out).

While I’m well aware of Orange’s reputation, I have no more faith in them than I do in an any other frame manufacturer on the planet. However, at least they’re based in the UK and I can talk to them direct rather than a bike shop or distributor that doesn’t have a clue about what’s going on and probably doesn’t care.

As for the price of Orange bikes. I can only go on the decision I made last year and that was between a Turner Five Spot and a Five, I walked away with a good few hundred quid stashed in my back pocket and a nice shiny Five…..oh and I only had to wait three weeks rather than three months for the frame;-)

solamanda
    Free Member

I find it quite amusing that some people put such stock and importance in frame warranties. For a start you’re asking a company to warrant a piece of equipment that is going to be heavily used, abused and stressed.

Many companies seem to offer frames with warranty and honour it. The OP asked it to be compared to a brand that does offer better support, I felt it appropriate to highlight the difference.

MrNutt
    Free Member

thinking about it my home contents covers my bike for accidental damage, why would I need a warranty on my bike? (just for the sake of argument)

molgrips
    Free Member

Your home contents policy probably has an excess, and your premiums will end up going up if you claim.

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Orange Blood’ is closed to new replies.