Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • MTBcut – Orange Bikes factory tour
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They pay some small Taiwanese child peanuts to do it (bend the miss aligned frames that is).

So it’s gone from orange doing it wrong to everyone (well, at least Orange and Trek anyway) doing it wrong, with knowlage like that you should be in consulting.

Quite fancy a Five now……..

alex222
    Free Member

i am an engineering consultant

alex222
    Free Member

^^^ not really

Bimbler
    Free Member

That vid worked for me. Never really wanted an Orange before but kinda do now, not sure if it was the high tech manufacturing, comedy accents or famous Yorkshire sense of humour which swung it. When’s the 29er coming out, lend us £3k.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

alex222 – Member
    i am an engineering consultant

Posted 14 minutes ago # Report-Postalex222 – Member
    ^^^ not really

I was about to make the same joke, then remembered I actualy am an engineer, just dont get to weld anything or play arround with hammers.

thepodge
    Free Member

We have the same cnc punch & bender. That vid is a terrible advert for UK engineering, it plays on a very outdated but somehow romantic idea that the public have.

bigjim

I did think if it is that easy to bend the frame straight with that bar, then its only going to take one slightly bad landing from a jump and that rear end is going to be out a few degrees, which put me off them a bit. Actually seeing the bending machine bit put me off a bit too. And how the little floppy bits of aluminium end up being so expensive…

robidoo
    Free Member

Big Jim I think they are tweaked with the bar and hammer before they are sent for heat treating, so should come back stiffer.

alex222
    Free Member

i am an engineer. just not an engineering consultant. however engineers tend not to get their hands dirty; that be the job of welders, setters operators etc. probably far more skillful in real terms. considering I am currently sat engineering at my desk.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could be worse, I’m sat here checking datasheets (yawn)

What Rob said is right, they come back a fair bit stiffer and stronger, which is why they have to be spot on before they go, afterwards the alignment will be checked, but I presume it’s just a check as there’s not much you could do that wouldn’t weaken it once it’s been treated.

simonm
    Free Member

Love the frame “alignment” kit

alex222
    Free Member

We have the same cnc punch & bender. That vid is a terrible advert for UK engineering, it plays on a very outdated but somehow romantic idea that the public have.

this was my point exactly. though i was not so eloquent.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m not an engineer and have little knowledge of the field, but recently on attending a job at a metal fabricators I commented on the cleanliness of the workshop, the answer was “not enough real work to do, so i get the lads to clean and paint everything to keep em busy between jobs”. A dirty workshop is a working work shop.

Also, last time I was at Orange HQ I felt very much like I was back in IT. It’s like any other normal office, only with pictures of steve peat and an unused landing area full of really nice old bikes.

thepodge
    Free Member

I should have said engineering & manufacturing as I too am sat here engineering at my desk though I do spend a good while each day on the shop floor.

Our workshop is clean and we’ve just had to take on another one to keep up with orders. A dirty workshop is a busy one my arse.

totalshell

some dont get it .. theres Yarkshire and somewhere spelt differently.. Bransley.. maybe if its raining.. harrogate.. no.. scarborough deffo.. york.. NO.. skipton getting warm.. cleckhuddersfax (the western fringes are okay) Todmorden.. yes just because them lankys want it.. Hull your aving a laugh..

put simply for them from sheffield..so anywhere south of m62… east of m1.. little hope, north of a65 dead cert and anywhere where you cant see sheep or hills higher than your house.. dream on.

Orange should scrap the citrus logo and adopt a white rose.. a proper one not one like the cricket clubs that looks like it has wilted.. infact to celebrate independence day they should do a special fred trueman model..

wrecker
    Free Member

He definitely wanted XTR didn’t he? 😀

billysugger
    Free Member

They should call it the Whippet

Murray

Interesting contrast to the Hope factory tour…

alex222
    Free Member

what on earth are you saying total shell? are you saying that if its not in the triangle you described its not Yorkshire? excluding Skipton, Barnsley and Scarborough?

Or are yo saying if you live in those areas the engineering techniques shown in the video are considered cutting edge?

billysugger
    Free Member

Image sells.

Good on them both, Guy and Orange, for doing what they’re doing. The perfect marriage. Orange had to put something like this out to strengthen the brand (Orange probably lives on it’s brand more than most) and quieten all the people asking about far eastern manufacturing practices.

Met Guy and chatted at length at the Ulster in 08, proper lad. What he does isn’t fake it’s just a winning formula that shouldn’t be changed no matter how much it earns him and his peeps. Who would change it?

andyha
    Free Member

The fact that he does the little Irish road races

100,000 people at the little irish road races

redted
    Free Member

“Wonder if he paid for his Soul for that matter?”

He bought it.

The Scott with the Pink decals also bought from Freetown Sports in Hull and he built it up himself.

totalshell

i’m saying plenty of folk living/ born in yorkshire might living under an illusion that its all one place.. its like footy theres your non league Selby.. div 2 scotch corner div 1 bratfud premier league hebby bridge thens theres your top 4 that always will be top dogs. all the rest fill at your lesure.. why do the cricket team insist on playing in Leeds..

transapp
    Free Member

Having watched the vid, and being very invlolved with engineering and production, I’d love to get stuck into the Orange facilities!
    The only bloke on there who I was impressed with was the bike builder at the end. I’d still have a 5 though, built up for bigger, alps type work (uplift style). It’s about the limit of my brave before anything more I have is a complete waste of bike.
    Oh, and I miss the days of pin ups around the place – none allowed any more in case they upset the female staff / visitors / cleaners…. Shame.

yunki
    Free Member

Orange don’t try and baffle you with ******** words like monocoque

😆

I learnt the word monocoque from Orange in the early 90s.. In fact I thought they had invented it..

did they invent it..?

jambalaya
    Free Member

No Orange did not invent the world monocoque 🙂 ! It’s french init. It basically means “single piece” – mono – single, coque means shell or hull (of a boat).

Great fun video, perfect match the “hand built in Halifax” tag line. You can compare that to the Hope factory tour and say Orange looks old school but that’s what they wanted.

thepodge
    Free Member

i’m saying plenty of folk living/ born in yorkshire might living under an illusion that its all one place.. its like footy theres your non league Selby.. div 2 scotch corner div 1 bratfud premier league hebby bridge thens theres your top 4 that always will be top dogs. all the rest fill at your lesure.. why do the cricket team insist on playing in Leeds..

and your point being?

AngusWells

Oh dear. Do I have to sell my R8 because I’m from York, which apparently isn’t in Yorkshire?

AlexSimon

Didn’t monocoque used to mean that the skin was pre-stressed before being stuck/welded/etc?

compositepro
    Free Member

isnt the name of the vid “it is what it is”

Alex

I thought it was great. In fact I hope that bloke ‘aligned’ my ST4. It’s not like I’ve never attacked a bike with a hammer 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Anyway, I’m no engineer but am from a mechanical background & after watching the vid am even MORE pleased that I bought a 5 last year! Made me think of my apprentiship, ‘it’s not in line, ‘WHACK’, thats it!’
    I love my 5 me, in fact it’s so good my mate’s getting one as well.

1981miked
    Free Member

Cracking video.. Wish I had kept my 5 now. Sold it about 18 months ago. Got a Soul now tho but being eyeing up another 5 frame… Time to raid the piggy bank me thinks!!!

Good to see the making of the frame, id love to be let loose in the parts area with a nice shiny 16″ Apple Green 5 frame.
    Not to everybodies taste but I think they are great looking bikes and they do ride really well, brought my riding on a huge amount… Now if i can just get motivated to get back on the bike I could maybe justify a new frame.

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

yes they are a nice bikes. I am not a hater; I just think that they are over priced. Especially seeing the quality control procedures. Still I gues an item is worth what people will pay for them so I can’t really say that they are over priced. I just don’t think they are worth the price.

That’s not quality control, it’s quality assurance. Quality control would be checking the frame at the end of manufacture, then binning the mis-aligned units. They’re correcting a process variation prior to a stage of the process at which point, alignment is critical (as they wouldn’t be able to correct it after heat treating). The upshot being, that they assuring that the final product is fit for purpose. I’m not too clued up on how it looks from an engineering point of view, but there’s nothing wrong with the quality proceedures.

Northwind

Alex – Member

In fact I hope that bloke ‘aligned’ my ST4.

ST4 is made in Taiwan isn’t it? Most Oranges are, only the filing cabinets are UK made IIRC.

Alex

Nope. Mine says hand built in Halifax. Think only the HT’s made elsewhere.

Northwind

I stand corrected, thanks for that!

jwt
    Free Member

I remember reading that Mountain Cycle used to skip quite a few San Andreas frames when they came back from heat treatment if they were mis-aligned, once 6061 is heat treated to T6 you cannot realign it. I’d rather someone ‘tweaked’* the frame straight before that than sold me a bent one.
    * This is also an expression I’ve heard in the vehicle body repair industry, as your car is strapped to a body jig, to ‘tweak’ out that rear end shunt………
    Had a 5 and San Andreas, loved both, should have kept both. 🙁

tandemwarriors

As an ex welder & sheet metal worker from Rolls Royce, I loved it!
    Loved seeing Guys first attempt at TIG – electrode blobbed, I remember doing that!
    And that’s just how we’d ‘correct’ a tail bearing housing after welding the spokes on – a nice big ‘persuader’ and a bar. Nothing wrong with a bit of cold setting.
    Remember metals are ‘elastic’, they will spring back under normal load. Cold setting pushes them past their elastic limit so they deform into the position you want. You’ve usually got the component held in a fixture and apply a force in a way it won’t see in use, hence the block under one dropout and hit the other one.

wallop

I loved the video.

It is very amusing to read everyone’s comments about Guy Martin… as if he wasn’t going to read them.. if he is big into riding how do you know he’s not here? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘MTBcut – Orange Bikes factory tour’ is closed to new replies.