• This topic has 56 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Orange 5, worth the money?
  • grumm
    Free Member

If you have the money I’m sure you won’t regret it, but if you are bothered about value then a Pitch or Prophet is MILES more for your money imo.

I don’t really care if its handcrafted in England – if people can make mass produce frames that are just as good for cheaper then that’s a good thing for the consumer innit.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Very very good bike, i love mine. There are probably better value bikes out there but it just rides so well. You could always buy the the base model and just take the fork upgrade and then replace bits as stuff wears out.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Had mine since 2004 and still love it. In fact, I can’t see me ever getting rid of it. Getting its first trip to the alps this year, where I’m sure it will be much more capable than me. It is a scream downhill, not quite so capable climbing. However some of that is due to setup (pikes, stem etc.) and some due to my lack of climbing ability.

Friends have commented on the “in the bike rather than on it” feel, but I think this could be partly due to the sizing. I’m 5’9, and the 16″ is perfect for me. Piece of advice, if you do get one, don’t leave it 3 years before checking the swingarm bearings! One of mine was welded to the stub axle. Had to break it up and dremel the inner race off…

Mine was the base model with fork and brake upgrades. After 5 years, the only original bits left are the bare frame and the rims. Broke a few things, but am a bike tart as well. Bear this in mind and consider what bits of the build you wouldn’t be happy with, like the brakes, hubs etc. Headset was rubbish, as mentioned previously, are they still using Ritchey ones? SLX is fine as a groupset IMO.

iainc

I bought one last summer after 4 yrs with a Spesh Enduro – the Orange does everything better and is so simple. I second the above comments about some of teh components being a bit poor – my seatpost lasted 3 months, as did the Raceface BB….also, why spec a steel cassette on a Pro 11 alloy freehub…wtf…

The RP23 is ideal, although I find I need the propedal at max to really feel a difference by switching it on – that said, I only put it on for fireroad climbs and lock out the fork at same time.

NCC

Absolutely love mine. Test rode quite a few bikes before settling on the 5, although I think I’d pretty much made my mind up from the 1st time I pointed the 5 downhill. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great climber (better than me anyway!) but really flies downhill 😀

Yes, there’re not cheap, but I was happy with the price I paid in December 07 for frame/shock + fork. As per the comment above, having visited the factory to choose my colour (trade contact) and seen the work involved, the value for money seems fine.

snowslave

Worth the money for sure….

grumm
    Free Member

They are pretty fugly though, it has to be said.

snowslave

fuglyness is in the eye of the beholder? 😉

mudplugga
    Free Member

I’ve got an 06 pro and love it use it on the Chase regularly where it’s just comfy and up the peaks where it performs as it should.Recently had a hi volume rp23 fitted and with pro pedal off it really feels like endless travel.Climbs really well.Fiddling is minimal just a bearing change once in while which takes about 10 mins after you’ve done it once.Lokks great imho and it’s british to boot.what’s not to like?

Get one!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Handsome bugger if you ask me! 😀

snowslave

yeah, lovely

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry but the rear swingarm looks like something from a 1970s soviet tractor.

Richyb
    Free Member

The rear swing arm hides all that nasty cabling you usually have to lash to the bike. I think they look clean and functional (remind me of a motorbikes swing arm), much better than a multitude of pivots and rocker links,

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Richyb – At least one other company I know of also routes cables through their (arguable better made) swing arms.

😉

Richyb
    Free Member

Oh yeah, wonder where they got that idea from?

Prophets are REALLY ugly though aren’t they? 😉

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Probably from Klein. They were the ones who seem to have started the internal routing thing.

Orange were probably just trying to make use of holes their dodgy welders had burnt in the cast iron their bikes are made from.

:p

jimw
    Free Member

I have had a 5 for 8 months and can’t recommend it more highly- all above post sare true in terms of comfort, agility and ruggedness (apart from the race face BB)

I have recently put a few miles on a Trek EX9, and I still prefer the 5, although the EX is a better climber without a doubt it is much less confidence inspiring on the flat or downhill sections

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5, worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.