Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Orange 5 Vs Alpine 160?
  • butterbean
    Free Member

Decisions, decisions.

I’ve got a Zesty, but I just don’t get on with it, which is a shame. I managed to get a decent ride on a mates 5 this weekend, and it felt considerably nicer, hence my potential interest in changing.

But then I started looking at the Alpine, which seems a bit slacker and longer. Being of a DH background this appeals, but the vast majority of my riding will be singletrack, maybe the odd Wales trip, the Mega and occasionally when the DH bike is bust, it may even get used for a bit of that.

Is it silly to consider the bigger bike when the vast majority of the time I will be right in the 5’s terratory? I plan on running it with some modified 36 Van’s at 150mm anyway.

I can’t find anything else that appeals without spunking a shed load more cash on a Mojo HD, which i’m sure would be lovely, but would it be £800 more lovely?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

You can give me the Lappy if you don’t want it

butterbean
    Free Member

Not sure about giving, but happy to do some selling!

Large 2011 314 frame if anyone is interested!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    backhander
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma very recently. Looked at and tried a load of bikes. Settled on a 2011 DW 5 spot. Should be ready at the ass end of this week.

butterbean
    Free Member

I had looked at the 5 spot, but I’ve got a riding friend with one. He has been through an ’09, a ’10 and now he’s on his ’11 warranty replacement. The latest seems much nicer with the slacker HA, but the cracking issues have put me off. Plus I don’t really like the idea of bushes in linkage pivots.

I can get a deal on the Orange through the shop I ride for, and the simplicity of it does appeal, even if its not an inspiring choice I’m more concerned with the ride.

The Alpine I think I’d be kidding myself I need anything that big for 95% of the riding this bike will do.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

If you’ve got a DH bike get a 5.

jam-bo

I use my 5 at the DH track. Not going to win any races but it’s a blast…

chakaping
    Free Member

sounds like you already know you should get the Five

Junkyard
    Free Member

five done Ae on it – not the huge jumps- coped fine with Pikes
    Downhill bikes are for the Alps and uplift days it will be overkill most days IMHO

orena45

I’ve been having similar thoughts lately. I’d love an Alpine 160 but at the end of the day if I did go down this line (and it would be my only bike), it would be ridden for 85% XC and 15% DH so a Five would be best I think. It’s good enough for the likes of Rowen Sorrell and Danny MacAskill for a bit of ‘lite’ DH so I reckon it’d be alright for me!

But yeah, if you’ve already got a DH bike I’d go for the Five anyway.

flow
    Free Member

Don’t buy/talk about Five’s, everyone on here will hate you 😆

brooess
    Free Member

Five AM?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 Vs Alpine 160?’ is closed to new replies.