Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Orange 5 steerer length?
  • bowglie

Looking at getting an Orange 5 frame for a self build – Would like to use existing forks, that have a 205mm steerer tube. Can anyone tell me if they’ll fit with a bit of room for spacers?

nukeproof
    Free Member

120mm headtube on 16″ and 18″ so you should be fine

uplink
    Free Member

All the geometry figures are on the Orange website

bowglie

120mm!, phew that’s a relief.

p.s. ta for website reminder (doh!)

iainc

remember headset, spacers, stem etc etc. I have an 18 inch 5 and the forks are beside me at the moment in a box to go to Mojo tomorrow – I have just measured the steerer at 204mm. I am swopping around headsets and will be cutting about 3mm off the steerer to run with an FSA XL2, 15mm of spacers beneath the stem, a Thomson X4 and no spacers above.

bowglie

remember headset, spacers, stem etc etc. I have an 18 inch 5 and the forks are beside me at the moment in a box to go to Mojo tomorrow – I have just measured the steerer at 204mm. I am swopping around headsets and will be cutting about 3mm off the steerer to run with an FSA XL2, 15mm of spacers beneath the stem, a Thomson X4 and no spacers above.

Thanks for the info. Blimey, talk about great minds think alike! I’m planning to use an XL2 headset & Thomson stem. If poss. would like to 20mm’s worth of 5mm spacers to play around with bar height.

Just for info., what stem length/rise are you running?

iainc

bowglie – I recently changed from the Orange stalk stem (80mm, 7 deg)and in house bars to a 90mm 10 degree rise Thomson X4 stem and EA 70 bars. I have ridden it a few times since the change and the front end is a good bit stiffer and with slightly wider bars more comfortable. I am expecting to have the steerer at 200/201mm once I have reset it all – I have ridden it with 15mm of spacers beneath and 10mm on top for a while so know that the 15 mm is right. I think you will be able to get the same setup without touching the steerer, as it sits about 6mm down in my 10mm spacer above the stem. hope this helps -)

bowglie

Hmm…interesting (esp. what you say about increase in stiffness with new stem) It sounds like my bike build might not be such a haphazard cobbled together mess as I first anticipated. Had a rummage in my parts bin and have got a 90mm, 5 deg Thomson & EA70 mid-rise bars that are original full length. Once again, ta for the info.

iainc

that sounds like it’ll be a good setup -)

Geat bikes, hope you enjoy it. here’s mine, old headet and fork still to be trimmed :

GaryLake
    Free Member

Did someone say spacers?? LOL – don’t worry, I didn’t have a hacksaw and vice to get it cut down so needed to get to the shop.

bowglie

Hmm..nice comparison between frame colours.

GaryLake – are those Fox Vanillas on your bike? (if so, do you find they suit the bike OK?)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 steerer length?’ is closed to new replies.