Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Orange 5 S, 5 AM and Pro difference…
  • downs523
    Free Member

Hi looking for some advice really. I currently have a specialized HardRock pro mountain bike which has the dart3 80mm front suspension fork. I have had this bike for a short time, say couple of months, maybe… Big maybe… Next spring time I will be looking for a full suspension bike as I plan to do a lot more riding which will consist of XC and some DH. I like the look of the Orange bike range and they seem to get raving reviews too so my question is…. I have seen the 5 s, 5 pro and 5 AM and all three look good, they have different front suspension.. Is there much difference with these three models? Is the Rock Shox Sektor TK Solo Air TS 140mm, Fox 32 Float Performance RL FIT 140 Tapered 15QR and Fox 36 Float 160 Performance R TS any good? What’s the best… Lots of questions lol

Any help will be appreciated, cheers 🙂

downs523
    Free Member

I have compared on the orange webpage but just wondering what the front and rear suspension are like

neilc1881
    Free Member

Just wait for all the Orange haters to jump out after I say this…

5S would be a great bike.
    5Pro has a higher spec (and price to match), some fancier kit on there but still not top of the line.
    5AM is built for a more DH style of riding (yes,yes, AM stands for All Mountain but we all know that it’s the roughly the same as DH but with pedalling up involved).

If it’s any use I ride a 2010 5Pro that I bought new (+ a few upgrades as it was on o% finance and I was feeling fruity). I ride in the UK and abroad (Alps, Whistler…) on a wide variety of trails from DH to epic XC loops and the 5Pro got down/around them all.
    Before summer I upgraded to the Fox 36 fork (though coil not air) and went to double and bash on the chainset, now it’s pretty much a 5AM. It still pedals well and when I throw the DH wheels on it it’s very capable indeed and is far more confidence inspiring on the bigger DH tracks.
    If you know you’ll do some DH and are not afraid of pedalling a slightly heavier bike I’d go for the AM. Otherwise the S/Pro would be great.

Alternatively pick up a bargain Giant Reign /Specialized Enduro /Trek Remedy etc from somewhere, but whatever bike you settle on you’ll have a blast.

Neil

curvature
    Free Member

Hi, hope this helps.

The Rock Shox fork is cheaper and having direct comparison with my wife’s bike the Fox 32’s are a lot smoother.

Do you need the extra travel on the 36’s? It may depend on your riding style.

I have a Five Pro bought new around 3 months ago and i can’t fault it.

From the start i upgraded to floating rotors (more for looks tbh), Hope seat clamp, Hope rear quick release, Flite titanium saddle.

I also run a Maxis Igniter 2.1 on the rear with a Minion 2.3 on the front although as the weather draws in I will be swapping the rear over.

The other reason for going to a Pro over the S is the brakes and drivetrain, all of which are well worth it.

I now also run 1×10….it’s the future!

email in profile if you want to ask any more…

Liftman

5s best (dear), 5pro bester (dearer), 5am bestest (dearest) :mrgreen:

downs523
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys so far people. So what weight difference is between the three of them? Couldn’t find this on their website??

downs523
    Free Member

Also… Some guy came riding past me on an orange bike, not sure of model and it made a clicking noise when he wasn’t peddling? Noticed it on YouTube vids too so guessing it’s the norm??

J273
    Free Member

I was just going to make a thread about this myself. …Are the frames exactly the same between models with the upgrades being the axle and shock as im only interested in buying the frame alone.

zilog6128

Also… Some guy came riding past me on an orange bike, not sure of model and it made a clicking noise when he wasn’t peddling? Noticed it on YouTube vids too so guessing it’s the norm??

that’ll be the hope hub

downs523
    Free Member

Dumb me… What’s a hope hub??

scotsman
    Free Member

carbon337
    Free Member

Right I think you may need to do a bit more research. Hope make the hubs they are the bits in the middle of the wheel. They are made in England and make that wonderful clicking noise.

Depends on your budget but the five pro is probably the best option for most but after time I bet you upgrade the fork to a 36 (that’s the diameter of the fork) the pro has 32 meaning they are lighter but less stiff. They also have less vertical travel. This can be both good or bad depending on what your riding.

If you say your doing DH do you mean real DH or just trail centres.

Where do you spend the majority of your time riding?

downs523
    Free Member

Carbon337 thanks for your post, I will be doing DH routes and trail, DH will be at Aston Hill in Bucks, I’m not a serious downhiller….. So maybe the AM won’t be suited for me

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

speaking of which I’m looking forward to seeing this

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLEo7H9tqSM[/video]

chestrockwell

All frames are the same except the AM has the Maxel rear axel (upgrade on the others and well worth having imo). Worth noting that this year the S and Pro come with a Fox Evo shock, the AM + SE have Fox RP23. The Pro is well worth getting over the S as virtually all parts are better. AM is probably overkill for what most riders need. Seen a few 2011 Pro’s at around £2300 so well worth having as there’s very little difference in the 2012 bikes and the 2011 Pro comes with Fox RP23 as standard.

For reference, I had a 2006 5 Pro with QR rear. Changed this for a 2009 5 AM and found the Maxel rear far better. Over time I’ve pretty much changed my AM to a Pro so if I was to buy new I’d get a Pro with the Maxel upgrade (Hope this makes sense!).

downs523
    Free Member

Chestrockwell thanks for your post mate, where have you seen the pro’s for £2300? cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 S, 5 AM and Pro difference…’ is closed to new replies.