Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Orange 5 owners?
  • simonb512
    Free Member

I'm currently looking into replacing my frame with a Orange 5 (my current frame is a I-Drive 5).

My main concern is that on the Orange website it states:

The new rear swingarm has been designed around a standard compact drive crankset i.e. 22/32/44 with a limit of a 32 tooth middle chainring, if you use a ring larger than this then it is possible it may touch the swingarm or catch as you downshift to the granny ring.

source: http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/technical/fivebb.php

I, however have a 2×9 setup (22,36).

Can anyone clarify this? Would I just need to shove an extra spacer on the drive side? or is this a bit of a non-issue?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Its the 32 which is important as the swimarm will foul on anything much bigger than a 32 which is inline with the base of th swingarm – So Yes it could be a problem IMHO 🙂

However if the 36 is far enough out from the swingarm i.e. a spacer (meaning changing the chain line) then it might work 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I understood it's more to do with the pivot placement in reference to the ideal middle ring. In this case 32.

It's always a compromise with having more than one chainring. So there you go. I've never noticed the chainring being that close.

brooess
    Free Member

Ask Orange?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Alternatively go 32 front and have a narrower range on the rear cassette?

Liftman

Is it a new or older Orange 5 you are buying, i am running a 2 x 9 setup (with 36 chain ring) on an 08 Orange 5 without any issues.

simonb512
    Free Member

To be honest I hardly use the granny ring anymore. However I like the option :).

So essentially its a case of I need to replace my double with a triple when I can?

I wouldnt be able to get away with adding a spacer to move it out a bit? Im assuming that would make a mess of the chainline then?

Is it a new or older Orange 5 you are buying, i am running a 2 x 9 setup (with 36 chain ring) on an 08 Orange 5 without any issues.

Its a 2010.

Ask Orange?

I shall thank you.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Not a new swingarm, but am running 22/36/bash on an 04 Five with no issues or attention paid to setup. You clearly need to speak to Orange though…

nickegg
    Free Member

One spacer behind the drive side cup is all that is required.

Anything bigger than a 32 chainring without said spacer results in the chain catching the bearing cover cap and the swingarm when changing down.

That was my experience from a 2007 5 at least.

davcow
    Free Member

I'm running a 34 tooth middle chain ring on a 2010 five frame.

No probs here.

foxyrider
    Free Member

@ davcow :

I, however have a 2×9 setup (22,36).

simonb512
    Free Member

One spacer behind the drive side cup is all that is required.

This is pretty much chat Orange told me. However it will mess the chainline up slightly.

Anyone want to swap a SLX double for a triple? 😛

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh I was right – spacer (change chainline) or change ring and rear cassette 😉

hugh_b
    Free Member

I'm running a 36t middle ring on my 2010 five along with an e-13 drs, all works nicely. The front mech is close to the swingarm but not too close.

Hugh

simonb512
    Free Member

I'm running a 36t middle ring on my 2010 five along with an e-13 drs, all works nicely. The front mech is close to the swingarm but not too close.

How is the DRS mounted?, if I may ask?

aldomac
    Free Member

Anyone want to swap a SLX double for a triple?

Could do, is its a case of you sending me your bash and middle ring and me returning the rings?

simonb512
    Free Member

Could do. Though the comment was a little tongue in cheek to be honest.

I do need another crankset for another bike so thats my easiest option (ie buy a triple).

Thanks for the offer btw.

hugh_b
    Free Member

@ simonb512

It's the bb mount type, it replaces a spacer on the external bb so basically the bb cup creates a friction fit….very secure and easy to set up really!

simonb512
    Free Member

Thats what I was getting at. If its BB mounted that it would more or less also space the BB.

davcow
    Free Member

Yep I'm running a 2×9 setup (22,34) no probs with the front mech at all.
    Rear cassette (11-34).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 owners?’ is closed to new replies.