• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Orange 5 out (possibly) – what in it's place?
  • GaryBanham
    Free Member

Like a lot of people times have been tough but now I'm in a position to treat myself to something new, I have a 5 Pro which has never been ridden hard and if I'm honest I'd never get the most out of it but this is a want not need quest and I may get an end of year deal to wrench my arm off :0)

If you had a £2.5k budget(ish) and was looking for 120mm travel full suss for general duties what would you consider?

I like the idea of something Trek or Cannondale but haven't yet had the chance to test ride anything so am looking for options.

Cheers peeps…

crashdummy
    Free Member

120mm travel – Orange ST then isn't it …

Alex

Well if you like Orange and you want an all day trail bike with ace handling in the singletrack, then http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/2011/st4_pro/ could be a fine choice 🙂

Alex

Great mind, CD, great minds……

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

as crash dummy says.

STW front page at the moment:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/09/oranges-are-the-only-fruit-in-the-show-anyway/

There’s a new Orange ST4 too. As the Five has become a little more burly (with its slacker, flared headtube ways and its optional Maxle back end) so the ST4 has resolutely stayed ‘XC all day/bumbling around’ focused. For 2011 the linkage changes to a swing link aimed at reducing flex. Rear travel is ’110mm-ish’ for an intended 120mm fork. It remains the bike that 50% of Five buyers should really get instead as it’s a perfectly capable trail bike with a lighter feel.

crashdummy
    Free Member

The Trek Fuel is a nice bike too and Spesh Stump Jumper is fine .. both are worth a test ride … I tried both before buying a Five.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I have a 3 yr old 5 Pro (which is used a lot) and the only bike I'm currently considering is the Yeti ASR 5 (Alu or Carbon version).

Prob is trying to find a test ride is like discovering rocking horse poo.

xanboy
    Free Member

Addiktion Cycles in St. Albans have an ASR 5 alloy demo bike, I tested one there.

frankyspanky69
    Free Member

Oneplanet adventure in LLandegla forest have a ASR 5 demo bike, tried it myself and am deffo getting one once i've sold my current bike.

br
    Free Member

Spend £500 on bling-ing the Orange 5, and then RIDE IT!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Trek or Stumpy for £2.5k to be honest. You're gonna do very well to build an ASR5 to decent spec for that kind of money, especially if you're used to the spec of a Five Pro.

tomaso
    Free Member

Trek EX8?

cabbage84
    Free Member

Trek fuel ex 9 or you may get the lower end carbon model in an end of season deal. lapierre x control another good option

Rickos
    Free Member

Trek Fuel or those new Ghost bikes get good reviews.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Superlite.

drifting_james
    Free Member

It remains the bike that 50% of Five buyers should really get instead as it’s a perfectly capable trail bike with a lighter feel.

Does anyone know how much lighter it is? I'm debating buying either an orange 5 frame or an ST4. The ST4 costs more..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I have a 5 Pro which has never been ridden hard and if I'm honest I'd never get the most out of it

Eh? 😯

Wookster

what about a spesh camber? or a SC nickle? if the latter take the parts of the 5 and chuck the frame on ebay mate.

flyingfox
    Free Member

ASR5 Yeti; Whyte T120 for £2k.

hora
    Free Member

If a small would fit this would blow the Five into the weeds interms of kit etc (formula R1 etc):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/commencal/meta-55-carbon-2010-mountain-bike-ec021447

If I was spending 2.5k I'd go the Lapierre or Commencal route. Just not a fan of Orange (and I'm northern so you'd think I'd be daft as a brush) 😉

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

You'll never get a Yeti ASR5 going for £2.5k.

I thought i saw an ad in this months MBUK for a shop that had 2010 carbon Stumpjumpers for £2.3K. I'd have that, or a Cannondale Rush/RZ120.

hora
    Free Member
    flyingfox
    Free Member

I buily a Yeti ASR5 for around that figure, so it is possible.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 out (possibly) – what in it's place?’ is closed to new replies.