• This topic has 54 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Orange 5 "lost" in the post
  • chrisrhayes

Just to highlight – make sure you have insurance on these things.

I sent an Orange 5 frame via Parcel Force. It was picked up OK, but never made it to its destination. After much communication with the depot (Bristol), the outcome is a refund to the ebay seller from me, and a claim which is pending now, leaving me somewhat out of pocket.

I wonder if the box highlighted what was inside. I reused an islabike box, which had been sent to me with a kids bike in. But that got to me ok – mind that was a different courier.

Very very annoying…

So keep your eyes peeled for a 2006 Orange 5 frame in Gun metal grey:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180834628480#ht_746wt_1185

Chris

Conan257
    Free Member

Do you have to refund the buyer before you get the refund?

Not sure how this works as I’ve never been in that position!

Hope it all ends well though…

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’ve never heard anything as ridiculous in my life – You handed it over, gained a receipt.

Refund due, all costs due immediately to you regardless of insurance being taken out or not – SIMPLE AS.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve sent tons of frames uninsured, hardly ever lost.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I always insure everything I send above a few quid- its not expensive to do so

Its the sellers responsibility to get the goods to the buyer so that refund is right – claim fro the post depends on the contract if its not insured there might be a maximum liability although I would be think i=of reporting it as a theft perhaps

godzilla
    Free Member

Are you sure the buyer isn’t doing you over? If you have a tracking number make sure you add it to your eBay listing.

matt_outandabout

^ same as al.

Northwind

godzilla’s spot on- insurance/tracking isn’t just to protect yourself against random mail thieves, damage and loss- it protects you fron the buyer too.

totalshell

something that big didnt get lost in the post.. are you certain it didnt arrive at destination

edlong
    Free Member

hardly ever lost.

Not sure I’d be okay with that.

carlosg
    Free Member

I never send anything uninsured anymore after being scammed (probably) a few times , as mentioned above a few extra quid on the post costs for peace of mind/pocket .

However hindsight is a great thing and we sometimes learn the hard way.I did.

grum
    Free Member

I found talking about involving the police got compensation moving quite a lot faster when something my brother sent me went missing at a parcel force depot. I know someone who used to work at one and apparently thieving was pretty routine. This was quite a while go though.

Elmo
    Free Member

Have you got a tracking number?
    Get the depot to try at PARC. Its the place they leave any parcels that don’t have an address or return details.
    Try Islabikes. They have a parcelforce contract. If the label had come off someone may have assumed it was an Islabike and returned it to them.

mildred

I always insure everything I send above a few quid- its not expensive to do so

I always pay for insurance and I’ve had a number of items damaged and missing. I have followed all of Parcelforce’s procedure, including the ridiculous time limit for claims and I have NEVER been succesful on any claim. They are absolute scumbag thieves and I would never use them again.

To the OP I hope you get lucky with it and get it back.

faz083
    Free Member

try using parcel2go, I sent a 30kg rackmount server with city link through them and it arrived soaking wet, completely dead. I had no pictures or evidence and it wasn’t insured. I submitted a claim, not expecting anything, and got a cheque in the post a week later. Always good to use a fronting company, as they arrange everything and deal with any problems themselves.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I get the feeling you’ve been done one by the buyer… 😐

ScottChegg
    Free Member

OP says it didn’t get there; how is that the buyer?

Parcelfarce tracking will show if not delivered; it puts the responsibility in them.

But sending something of value without insurance is just plain bats.

relliott6879
    Free Member

^^ I think the assumption here is that the OP’s knowledge of the item not arriving is based on the buyer telling him so.

If Parcelforce turn round and say it was delivered, my next phone call would be to the Police, definitely something fishy going on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My ebay rating is on 465 transactions IIRC, there’s been more that that and some here too. I can think of 1 item that got lost in the post. I only insure above the standard depending on the cost usually, sometimes the insurance is really expensive, but I will tend to do so on high value items.

I don’t see how this could be reported as theft, what evidence is there? OP is claiming so courier will investigate.

relliott6879
    Free Member

If the item has arrived at it’s intended destination (ie the buyer is lying) then a theft has occurred. OK, so technically it’s actually ‘Fraud by false representation’ but you get what’s meant. Parcelforce should be able to say whether the frame was ever delivered, if it was and the buyer is saying otherwise, somebody is telling porky pies and the frame has been nicked by someone.

If the buyer is indeed being honest, then Parcelforce have lost the frame and they are liable, I’ve got a horrible feeling the standard uninsured value they put on things is something like “Not exceeding £50” though. 🙁 I’d still be tempted to involve the Police even in this case, however. As totalshell pointed out above, a mountain bike frame doesn’t just get misplaced under a stack of envelopes or at the bottom of a mailbag. If it’s gone missing, then somebody in the postal chain has half-inched it.

godzilla
    Free Member

It’s the oldest eBay scam in the world, if you buy ANYTHING and pay by PayPal then recive the item and it comes with no tracking number all you need to do is tell eBay you never got the item and you will be refunded in full. I do loads on eBay and people try it on all the time, I got done on a small scale years ago and never again.

relliott6879
    Free Member

godzillaMember

It’s the oldest eBay scam in the world, if you buy ANYTHING and pay by PayPal then recive the item and it comes with no tracking number all you need to do is tell eBay you never got the item and you will be refunded in full. I do loads on eBay and people try it on all the time, I got done on a small scale years ago and never again.

Snap. I now insist on sending anything I sell on eBay, no matter how small, by Signed For delivery or the buyer collecting in person. There’s few very things in this world that can make your blood boil like knowing you’ve been stolen from.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

There’s few very things in this world that can make your blood boil like knowing you’ve been stolen from

I dunnno – having to trail to the sorting office to pick up a small, cheap item beacause an Ebay seller is being over cautious is quite annoying.

Ebay – a crap place to sell bikes – full stop.

ourmaninthenorth

I adopt a slightly different approach – I make it clear that, once payment has been received, the item belongs to the buyer and that title risk (i.e. obligation to insure) has transferred to them at that point.

But it’s interesting that small scale scamming on untracked items is sufficient to be a problem. I’ll think about that in future.

crazy-legs

I’ve sold a few items on here over the years and I ALWAYS use a fully insured service with full tracking – Royal Mail Special if it’s small enough, usually TNT if it’s a big parcel. It’s worth the extra few quid for peace of mind and buyers seem to appreciate it as well.

Never had any problems selling on here, all the buyers have been sound.

relliott6879
    Free Member

oliverd1981Member

I dunnno – having to trail to the sorting office to pick up a small, cheap item beacause an Ebay seller is being over cautious is quite annoying.

I should perhaps have mentioned that I state quite clearly in all my listings that any postage will be Signed For and that that is non-negotiable. That way, any interested parties know exactly where they stand and can elect to look elsewhere if they feel I’m being unnecessarily over-cautious.

I’ve been ripped off in the past for, admittedly, fairly small amounts. I couldn’t give a toss if someone only stole a pound or a penny from me – they’ve still stolen from me.

boxfish
    Free Member

Whether buying or selling, recorded/signed-for delivery gives me peace of mind. I’ll also insure anything I’m selling that’s valued more than the maximum the P.O. will cover without a premium.

greeble
    Free Member

i’d say the frame did reach the buyer and he claimed it didn’t
    therefor got a frame for free.

I sell alot on ebay and never send anything without signed for delivery

convert

I adopt a slightly different approach – I make it clear that, once payment has been received, the item belongs to the buyer and that title risk (i.e. obligation to insure) has transferred to them at that point.

I’m not sure you can do that – even as a private individual. You subcontracted the delivery of the object to someone else and paid them. The buyer paid you and I’d say that makes you liable. The only way I’d see that as a legite approach would be if they arranged the courier and paid for it and they picked it up from you. Even then as you packed it, if it got damaged in transit the fault could be yours.

I only ever send items with tracking and ensure the advertised postage costs is enough that I’m not out of pocket(or price accordinglty if an all up price). I don’t however share the tracking data with the buyer any more – too many times, especially when sending overseas, the parcel has arrived but not tracked – a sleazy buyer might take advantage of that if they are aware of it.

jota180
    Free Member

The problem with ‘Signed for Recorded’ is that the buyer can simply claim the signature isn’t his/hers and eBay will take their side and refund them
    You then get the double whammy of the PO refusing to pay out as they have a signature and therefore it’s been delivered

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve sold a few items on here over the years and I ALWAYS use a fully insured service with full tracking – Royal Mail Special if it’s small enough, usually TNT if it’s a big parcel. It’s worth the extra few quid for peace of mind and buyers seem to appreciate it as well.

+1

Can’t see this being the receiver saying he never got it, from the OP:

After much communication with the depot

They’ll know if they delivered it, and that would be the first thing they’d say, so this sounds like it’s ‘gone missing’ in the chain somewhere. We had it happen at least once when sending bikes.

godzilla
    Free Member

Has anyone actually manage to do a successful claim from Royal mail? I know I haven’t, I never pay for extra insurance simply because they rarely pay out. Just make sure you cover yourself with a Basic tracking number because Royal mail PayPal & eBay are not on your side.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m not sure you can do that – even as a private individual. You subcontracted the delivery of the object to someone else and paid them.

I can.

I haven’t subcontracted the delivery. I am agent for the seller.

convert

wrong imo – and as far as I’m aware in the opinion of the law too – though might be different for a private individual – certainly would be for a company. How would you feel if an online shop did that to you?

edit – just to add if you arranged and paid for the delivery the company would not deal with the buyer for the claim – only with you as it is with you they have a contact.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The contract is that you supply the goods, the buyer pays. the contract is only complete once you have the money and they have the goods.

Its the sellers responsibility until delivery

jota180
    Free Member

With big ticket stuff I’d be tempted to stipulate that the buyer arranges their own courier
    I’ll pack it and address it and be available to deliver it to the couriers depot – Parcel2Go do this at newsagents etc. now for a reduced rate – once I have the paperwork saying it’s been delivered, I should be clear of further responsibility for it.

godzilla
    Free Member

If they pay by PayPal and you let the item go with their courier you will not be covered, your leaving yourself open to being done over.

ourmaninthenorth

wrong imo – and as far as I’m aware in the opinion of the law too

Not so. The law is quite clear on this. In fact, all I’m doing is making clear well established law.

EDIT: But you’ve got me thinking. I think I need to make this more clear in my ads.

I deal as a private individual – what mail order businesses do is subject to, among other things, distance selling regs.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJ is right. You can’t do that. It’s YOUR responsibility until the item is delivered. If it goes missing, YOU refund and YOU claim on the insurance. I’ve had to do it myself. It’s just tough.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve only ever sentone thing insured and that was the only thing that’s ever been ‘lost’
    I think insuring it just highlights as something worth nicking.
    And Royal fail were a PITA to get compensation out of.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 "lost" in the post’ is closed to new replies.