Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Orange 5 bottom bracket spacer
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

I have XT 10 speed on my 5. Tripple chainset and 11-36 cassette.
    When I built the bike I had no issues with the front mech rubbing.

I’ve had some noise that I assumed was rubbing, after a closer look it appears that the noise is from the chain line when in the top two cogs on the cassette.

I have the bottom bracket spacer on the drive side, should I swap it to the non drive side?

robhughes
    Free Member

Nope..Adjust your mech.

igm

Adjusting the mech would cure chain line.

I run the spacers non-standard on an Alpine with a triple. It’s almost like they built them for doubles…

Goldigger
    Free Member

Adjusting the front mech doesn’t seem to cure it.
    Put the front on the granny ring and its not an issue.
    Middle and outer chain ring always presents a problem…

igm

Sorry I meant wouldn’t cure the chain line. Finger trouble.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Put the front on the granny ring and its not an issue.

There’s nothing wrong with your chainline it’s the way your using it,
    once you get down to around 3rd gear drop to the granny.

Middle and outer chain ring always presents a problem…

Why are you trying to use the middle and outer rings across the full range of the cassette when you have a triple, just because you can doesn’t mean you should?

Shimano have always advised that you should maintain as straight a chainline as possible, as far as I know nothings changed on that front.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I get what your saying… Can you show me where shimano have advised this please?
    Never read that in all my 25 years of biking..

I’m Assuming a 1×11 setup has no issues with chain line, allowing use of all the sprockets?

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

That’s on road bikes not mountain bikes. Your front mech mount is probably twisted slightly or you haven’t screwed the bb in all the way? It should work fine,mine did.

roverpig

You can (just about) get a Five set up so you can use all sprockets from the middle chainring as that’s how mine is (with the BB spacers in the recommended place). It’s a band on front mech though so, as well as lateral setup (cable tension and limit screws) you also need to get the angle just right. To be honest, I’m not sure it’s worth the hassle. It’s still better practice to shift into the granny if you are going to use the largest sprockets and the rubbing can be a useful reminder that it’s time to shift 🙂

andybrad

always had this trouble. Spent hours adjusting it, replacing cables etc. Basically it rubs under full power (frame wheel flex) on mine and rubs the front mech.

It works ok otherwise. I ended up ditching the big ring though

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 bottom bracket spacer’ is closed to new replies.