Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Orange 2013
  • spw3

I’m not a huge fan of Orange bikes but a Five is probably the best choice for my GF. Any idea when the new frames will be available? I’m crossing my fingers they’ve grown up and realised that tapered head tubes are pointless and limiting.

Let the hating begin…

mbarnes
    Free Member

No changes on the five for 2013

legend
    Free Member

unless I’m mistaken, the only change is to make the maxle standard but to up the price by £100 to compensate themselves. So, unless the maxle is important, why wait?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spw3

Darn. Really was hoping they’d seen the light on the head tube front. And she not only doesn’t need a maxle but it would mean she wouldn’t be able to use the rear wheel of the rather nice pair I bought her for her birthday. If only i could find a nice tiny Alpable bike that wouldnt involve giving money to a firm that basically irritates me.

Now where was that cheque book.?

legend
    Free Member

What’s your issue with the headtube? If you just want to run a standard fork, run a standard fork

Steve77
    Free Member

If only i could find a nice tiny Alpable bike that wouldnt involve giving money to a firm that basically irritates me.

If they irritate you there are plenty of other manufacturers that make the same sort of bike. I’d go with one of them

spw3

I want to be able to run any fork I want. Tapered tubes will accept tapered forks or straight 1&1/8th but not 1.5″. So if there was an option I’d be much keen for a straight 1.5″ head tube.

Will standard QR frames be still available? I’d hate to miss out on my opportunity to stop them from starving!

honourablegeorge

1.5″ forks are as good as dead, doubt anyone makes them any more.

spw3

@Steve77

Sadly my GF is tiny and there actually aren’t that many firms that make Action Man size full suss frames.

mbarnes
    Free Member

I can’t believe you are finding so many faults and still bothering. Just buy a different bike, please!

mbarnes
    Free Member

And no, qr isn’t an option now

spw3

@honourable

Really? I’d still prefer not to choose a frame with ahead tube that limits my options.

And there are still a few 1.5″ forks in my garage 🙂

spw3

Actually I only mentioned two ‘faults’. I haven’t even started on the limitations of single pivot suspension…

timc
    Free Member

1.5″ steerer but QR back wheel? odd man

Northwind

They’re not going to make a 1.5 Five, nor are many other companies going to make 1.5 frames. Which is a shame, but it’s officially ugly.

kayak23

Get a female-specific zesty. Chicks dig them…
    Seems a bit odd to be a brand hater then bother to start a thread on them, then proceed to put them down…

raisinhat
    Free Member

Maybe you should actually have your girlfriend try out a couple of different bikes and see what she prefers? She’s going to be riding the bike, not you.

bigrich

what you need to do is believe everything you read on forums. EVERYTHING.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/frames-with-15-inch-headtubes-whats-out-there

May give you options. Not going to be many 1.5’s out there – thats why all the forks were going cheap.

Would definaltey have a look at the Lapiere’s though

Frankers
    Free Member

How small does the frame have to be?

Intense Tracer has 1.5 head tube and convertible dropouts for 142 & 135

stumpy01

Marin go pretty small, I think (or used to, at least). Same for Kona.

spw3

Sorry for the delay in replying, I’ve been asleep. 🙂

You guys really are amusing.

It’s not at complicated. I don’t hate Orange and this isn’t a hate thread, as is obvious from the opening post. I actually intend to buy one of their frames. In any case it’s a company not a person so hate is an inappropriate response to it.

But I don’t like some of the choices they make with their bikes. Bikes are expensive and I think they make frames that are not attractive. If i spend a lot of money on soemthing i would like it to look good before i get near it. Obviously it then has to perform it’s set ask adequately or the purchase has been pointless.

II want whatever frame I buy for her to fit her and she claims to be 5ft 2″ but it is probably 5ft 1 & 3/4″. Finding frames to fit her is not easy. She currenly rides a Cannondale F5 in Petite and that is so small the top tube runs in an uninterrupted line from headtube to rear dropouts.

I also do not want to be forced by frame choice into buying addditional components that she does not need, especially when I have high quality components looking for a home. If it were a case of new seat post and bottom bracket that’s one thing but new forks and wheels? I don’t think so. With the new 29 er Orange Somethingorother popping up on here in a photo sporting a 1.5″ head tube I was hopeful. Oh well.

The Orange Five is made small enough to fit her, could be built light enough for the Peaks but also tough enough for a bit of light action next Summer. However if the Zestys goes really small then I’ll have a look. IIRC it even has a Horst Link which would avoid the brake jack which is the feature of single pivots that I dislike.

Apologies for holding views that inadvertently offend the forum.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Singletrackmonkey is selling an immaculate small dw 5 spot in the ads

Rorschach
    Free Member

Another charming gentleman……..

joeegg
    Free Member

Brake jack ?
    I’ve ridden 4 different single pivot Oranges and multi pivot Giants and there is very little difference in braking performance.
    For me the biggest difference was in climbing ability,grip and feel.
    The multi felt better climbing lumpy stuff but if its for mostly UK use there would be nothing in it.
    The Orange frame designer first and foremost looks for a frame to work,the aesthetics come after.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Dude, no-one is going to make 1.5″ forks or head-tubes ever again. They’ve never been popular and have been perhaps the most “limiting” component choice you could make to use your own language!

Take this as an opportunity to sell the stuff you’ve got before it becomes completely worthless.

wrecker
    Free Member

Singletrackmonkey is selling an immaculate small dw 5 spot in the ads

That is your best choice. You can’t get a 1.5 steerer in a 5 full stop so look at something else.

spw3

@Rorschach
    Charming, moi? Merci bien Monsieur.

@joeegg
    Brake jack seems to be something that isnt noticed by everyone. I really notice it on the Jekyll and Gemini frames I have but not on the Big Hit. I’d like to avoid it on future frames if possible but I guess it’s more of an issue on frames with lesser amounts of travel. In this case frame fit, appropriateness for the intended task and compatibility with components already owned trump it I think.

“The Orange frame designer first and foremost looks for a frame to work,the aesthetics come after.”

Yes I’d worked that out! 😉

spw3

@wrecker

I’ve nver really paid attention to Turners, they did seem to go through a Purple Patch of being the forum members ride of choice about 5 yrs ago didnt they? But I have a vague recollection that something in the design changed a few years ago. Moved away from Horst Links? Got rid of bearings and went for bushings?

wl
    Free Member

Teach her to ride and brake jack won’t be an issue.

spw3

Hi Wl, this is Simon from the BV holiday.

Having seen me ride you’ll realize that I’d have to learn how to do that myself before I could teach her! 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Would honestly suggest taking her for some demo rides and seeing what she likes.

Santa Cruz is possible for Extra Small but not 1.5″ and with the Heckler enough change to put towards some new forks.

Seen some fairly small giants too.

wrecker
    Free Member

The turner will ride very differently to the 5. It’ll be firmer and more neutral (less active). I’m not saying it’s better or worse (depends what you want) but those 5 spots are very good bikes with amazing support from Turner. Do watch out though, they are supremely efficient so she’ll be quicker uphill!

rewski
    Free Member

Just read the Orange Gyro review in ST, reads very well.

spw3

Some nice recommendations here, thank you guys. I know I have a longish list of (apparently bizarre :-)) specs but you have to start somewhere.

Faster uphill? Damn, maybe I’ll get her that watch she was after instead…

wl
    Free Member

Ayup, Simon. Looked like you were riding pretty well to me. Seriously, on the brake jack front, most Orange single pivot riders I know either don’t really notice any brake jack, quickly get used to it or slightly adapt their riding/braking style. See if you can get your other half a demo Five. If she likes it, buy one and get her out to Verbier on one of Lucy’s skills weeks. She’ll learn in a week what would normally takes years. Take it easy.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

What about getting a taller girlfriend?

AlexSimon

This is funny – you say you like the Five, but then it turns out the only single thing you like about it is the length of the tubes. Oh and that it’s strength to toughness ratio seems ok.

I would look at another bike.
    If you want frame-only, I can see how your choices are limited though. For example, Giant do a 14.5″ Anthem, but the frame-only option seems limited to men’s. Mind you some bike models are cheaper than the Five frame-only.

crush83
    Free Member

@op

check out the Knolly Endorphin and Chilcotin. They have 1.5 head tubes and are alp-able! quite boutique too 8)

creamegg
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Orange 2013’ is closed to new replies.