Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Options for skirting around Lyme Park, after it’s closed
  • IHN

Looking at options for an evening ride. The park gates close at 4:30, so with an early bunk from work I can get in (East Gate), through and out (West Gate or drop into Higher Poynton) before they shut. What are my options for getting back over to Disley? There’s not much in the way of BW’s that I can see, are any of the footpaths acceptably cheeky and ride-worthy?

crazy-legs

From west Gate, turn left onto the road, climb and then descend and just past that weird “coffee tavern” place that looks like a Nissan Hut and is almost permanently closed is this trail which takes you up and over the moor and drops in about half way up Bakestonedale Road (“The Brickworks”).

Climb on the road for a bit then turn left onto Gritstone Trail

No-one really seems to know if this is legal or not. It’s basically a farm track at that point, the farmer drives his quad bike along it although in theory at least it’s part of a long-distance FP network so it’s designated FP. But whatever, I’ve ridden it a few times. Onto the road for another km and then left onto the Gritstone Trail which drops you down back into Disley. Again, designated as FP but you frequently see horses and cyclists on it. Who knows.

IHN

Ta, I was wondering about that option. The Gritstone is definitely frequently cycled, I’ve been up and down the bit that drops into Disley on my bike a few times (I basically live at the top of it), and have walked the top bit that drops onto Bakestonedale road and seen a few bikes on it.

Anything that skirts around the North end? Is the Ladybrook Valley trail rideable?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nbt

That’s about it heading south, to be frank. You could head north up towards Marple on the canal towpath / middlewood way and then back through Goyt Valley, heading home up Red Lane and Green Lane (the Gritstone Trail mentioned by Crazy Legs) or Greenshall Lane.

edit – having seen your reply – from The Knott Quarry, there’s a track that runs down to the marina at Disley. There’s a gate at the park exit where you have to lift your bike over, as it’s designated footpath, but the trail itself is fine for riding in either direction.

There’s some nice trails through Middle Wood

Middlewood cheek by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

The Ladybrook Valley Interest Trail is an old tramway from the mining era

THe footpaths around High Lane don’t really offer much interest to be honest

IHN

Mmm, lovely, a nice easy finish up Greenshall Lane, ‘triffic… 😉

edward2000
    Free Member

Im close to Lyme Park (like very close). Drop me a message if you want some company

nbt

in the other direction, this track is ok through towards Whaley Bridge

Redmires Lane can be interesting as a descent

Diglee has loads of gates and we never used it

You can drop round the back of the Hockerley Estate and past the caravan site to The Soldier Dick at Furness Vale

Are you on Strava? I can add you to our group, Tom rides a few trails round your way that I’ve not ridden, might be worth you checking those out

IHN

Im close to Lyme Park (like very close). Drop me a message if you want some company

I wonder if you’re closer than me, cos that’d be pretty darn close 🙂 Will do though, ta.

Are you on Strava?

I’ve managed to avoid it thus far, I may reconsider

crazy-legs

Likewise although I’m further away – the bandit country that is New Mills. Do I need a passport to get into Cheshire?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Just take a look at Strava Heatmaps to see where everyone else is riding – https://www.strava.com/heatmap#7.00/-120.90000/38.36000/hot/all

I used to live in Hazel Grove but I’m now in Chapel-en-le-Frith. I’ve ridden loads of footpaths around Lyme Park over the years and never had a problem

IHN

Do I need a passport to get into Cheshire?

It better be a blue one

carlos
    Free Member

in the other direction, this track is ok through towards Whaley Bridge

We usually ride the FP above the that track and over from the school to The Dipping Stones. Not had any issues in prob 2 years, but then got caught by the farmer who lives at Cliff. He chased us up the field on his quad and went absolutely F’ing mental. We managed to calm the situation, but have given this FP a miss recently. Not sure I’d want to pass right by his house??

The LVI Trail has a few awkward stiles on the North side of the Railway Track from memory

nbt

I’ve not ridden that in some years it must be said but we did go through the farm at that point. The higher track looks like an old cart track so might be a good alternative. It’s a bit furstrating as most of the trail through there look to be olkd cart trails so there’s no reason they shouldn’t have been classified as bridleways in the first place.

IHN

I’ve not ridden on the path past Cliff or the one past the Dipping Stone, but have ridden the one down to Cornfield Farm, then along the lane to Start Lane and The Seventies House in Whaley. It’s a decent run, and a better option than the other two according to MartynS of this here parish (well, New Mills, bless ‘im), who we walked it with at the weekend.

IHN

Actually, does the gate at Windgather, above Higher Poynton get locked? It’s got a footpath (as in pucker ROW footpath) running through it, so they have to keep that open, don’t they?

nbt

Actually, does the gate at Windgather, above Higher Poynton get locked? It’s got a footpath (as in pucker ROW footpath) running through it, so they have to keep that open, don’t they?

That’s a kissing gate and I thikn you;ll have to lift your bike over your head to get through, not bad until you’re on a tandem (go on, ask me how I know). I did refer to that path above, but I don’t think it’s a legit footpath – I recall the only footpath in the park itself is down near Parkgate, on the LVI route. The online map fpr Cheshire East doesn;t show anything else in the park itself, the right of way are all permissive and as such can be closed

https://maps.cheshireeast.gov.uk/ce/webmapping?&e=378220.01&n=364472.00&layers=TN_V_ROWFootpaths_LINE_CURRENT.TN_V_ROWBridleways_LINE_CURRENT.TN_V_ROWRestrictedByways_LINE_CURRENT.TN_V_ROWBywaysOpenToAllTraffic_LINE_CURRENT&s=250000.00&bm=oscolour

IHN

Yeah, that gate’s been a bugger to get bikes through since I was riding up into Lyme Park on a mate’s borrowed Emmelle ‘mountain bike’ when I was about 14 😉

That Cheshire map shows it as Lyme Handley FP16 (from Windgather into the park) and FP7 (from Haresteads Farm up to Windgather). Dunno if this link will work:

https://maps.cheshireeast.gov.uk/ce/webmapping?&e=378220.01&n=364472.00&layers=TN_V_ROWFootpaths_LINE_CURRENT.TN_V_ROWBridleways_LINE_CURRENT.TN_V_ROWRestrictedByways_LINE_CURRENT.TN_V_ROWBywaysOpenToAllTraffic_LINE_CURRENT&s=250000.00&bm=oscolour

nbt

I suspect I may have either misremembered or been misinformed by an overly officious park ranger – having entered the park on Lyme Hadley FP4 (the LVI) he didn’t want us to go straight across to Red Lane (Disley Fp23) as the park was closed for “safety reasons” – high winds during a storm. We were desperate for foor so wanted to go across rather than up to the A6 to get into Disley which would have added a fair chunk, and he eventually relented, but he was insistent that there as no footpath across to Red Lane (true, looking at that map) and the ONLY Public footpath in the park was FP4 we’d come along, everything else was permissive (definitely not true now looking at that map, but maybe things have changed since that incident – it was a few years ago)

IHN

Ah, right. So, if it is a pucker footpath, they have to leave the gate unlocked?

nbt

yes, which means that the main gate remains unlocked too – but there’s no footpath from east park gate – or indeed west park gate – so they COULD be locked. never been there late enough to find out for east park, but west park was locked when we rode down from Bowstones through Knightslow wood. Main gate was open on a night we ended up coming home that way

not ridden in the park for quite some time though and I know that they are working with local groups to try to improve access – one thing is creating a purpose built one-way MTB trail from The Knott down to west park gates to avoid conflict of bikes descending with excessive speed when the path is often busy with walkers

carlos
    Free Member

Ah, right. So, if it is a pucker footpath, they have to leave the gate unlocked?

Yes. Although the place is like a sieve if you don’t mind big stiles

As far as I’m aware the only gates that get locked are
    Main Driveway gate on A6 (you need a code apparently)
    The one leading onto Red Lane (left of the ticket office if coming into the park from the A6)
    West Parkgate next to the lodge
    East Lodge

IHN

Yeah, the East Lodge one definitely gets locked, I’ve checked it out a couple of times in the morning when walking the dog. The fact that the one at Windgather (probably) doesn’t is handy for an evening though, cos I can finish at about four, get changed, on the bike and through East Lodge just before they lock it and still be able to get out the other side.

That was the plan for this evening, but now not able to finish at four 🙁

Graham_Clark

As there has been some really good work looking into access at Lyme, please don’t start riding through once the gates are locked as this could jeopardise the potential future access. There are folk who live on-site who pass on when they see people inside the Parkland once the gates, etc. are closed.

IHN

Understood Graham, fair enough. Personally, rather than trying to get in after the gates are closed, I’m more interested in being able to legitimately get out if the gates have justclosed, after I’ve got in when the gates were open.

edward2000
    Free Member

1630 closing time is a joke in my opinion. All because the head ranger CBA to keep it open longer.

thepodge
    Free Member

A very timely thread.

What’s the best way from Lyme park (probably near the house) to Chapel en le frith on a gravel bike?

Was thinking head out east, then north to Disley, follow the canal to Buxworth, round to Horwich end then over Eccles pike & into Chap.

I’m planning to ride up from Macclesfield, meet family at Nelson pit, then Lyme park and again at Chapel this Friday.

Like this?

IHN

If you come out of the East gate, up the hill to the road, turn right and head to the school you can pick up the:

one down to Cornfield Farm, then along the lane to Start Lane and The Seventies House in Whaley.

It’s deffo gravelable. Turn right at The Seventies House, drop into Whaley, then pick up your route to Horwich End

nbt

@thepodge How far do you want to ride, how long do you want it to take, how much gnar ((c) stw) can you take on a gravel bike? THat map shows what seems to be a pretty unncessary detour in New Mills

thepodge
    Free Member

@IHN, Thanks I’ll have to check up on some of those when I get a minute as its not an area I know well.

@nbt
    , the whole route I have planned is 47km but thats Macc – Marple – Nelson – Lyme – New Mills – Whaley – Chapel. Time wise I have to work into meeting the fam & I like proper gravel not “should have brought the hardtail” gravel.

crazy-legs

THat map shows what seems to be a pretty unncessary detour in New Mills

I’ve no idea what sort of route generation software you’ve used there but as @nbt says, the New Mills section (12 & 13) looks to try and divert you via The Torrs. Just go straight along the canal, no turn offs at all.

In fact I’d have thought that turning right at (9) and going along the road, turning left onto the tiny little back lane down and up (Start Lane, cobbled climb) which just drops you straight into Whaley by the station would be the more efficient route.

nbt

Aye, what IHN or crazy-legs suggested – this route as suggested by IHN follows the gravel track from the school (the old Hilton hotel) to Cornfield farm but you can just stay on Mudhurst Lane (just after the 3km mark) and turn onto Cornfield Road (about 4.5km mark). You can even go all the way along Mudhurst to Macclesfield road and then through Kettleshulme down to Horwich end. Bit more climbing in that one

edit – update with new route as it chose a proper footpath

and the “staying on road” option

note – both these include a short cobbled climb.

@crazy-legs
    – I hink podge’s original map is from Komoot

thepodge
    Free Member

@Crazy-legs, it only does that as when I planned it I thought I could pop in and find somewhere to refuel, I’ll carry on along the canal if I’m feeling fine. I looked at Buxton old road / Whaley lane into town but wasnt sure it did much other than save miles.

julians
    Free Member

Been riding through Lyme after closing time for years, up and over the stiles to get in/out.

Never had any hassle.

thepodge
    Free Member

@nbt, I’ll have a look at those thanks, as for the short cobbled climb, I did 35km on and off 65 sections of cobbles round here in honour of the spring classics last Sunday, I welcome arthritis of the wrists.

nbt

Personally I’d avoid the canal, I havent used the canal towpath round here since before Lockdown 1 as it’s always busy – but it’s a lot flatter that way. There are shops in Disley if you need to refuel without heading into New Mills

Looking at that route, rather than going into Buxworth you can follow the Whaley bit of the canal – there’s a footbridge for full on cx style carrying the bike, or you can drop left just before the canal branches off to the right and go under the canal, then either pop into the tesco to refuel or climb back up onto the towpath

yet another option is to go into Buxworth and then go up Eccles Pike (is that the one they call THe Gravelberg?) rather than going back into Whaley

or even carry on along the old tramway to Whitehough then over theback end of Eccles Pike

thepodge
    Free Member

So many options. Just checked against the OS map for the first two and I’m not sure about going through 3 steepness chevrons but at least its an option. The route through Cliff north of Cornfield / Baileys looks almost a better option due to surface from google earth.

I’ll have another lock at the last two after I’ve fed the boy.

nbt

Just checked against the OS map for the first two and I’m not sure about going through 3 steepness chevrons but at least its an option

Oops, I forget than not everyone is used to riding hills. Cornfield lane is a regular tandem route for us. We’ve done all the others on the tandem at one time or another, though some (like the route fro buxworth up to the top of Eccles Pike) are less fun. Round here though there’s not much choice, any route involves a reasonable amount of climbing

IHN

I’m not sure about going through 3 steepness chevrons but at least its an option.

I rode that section between Cornfield Farm and The Seventies House last night; the first one is not much of much, it’s really short, and the second one’s not shocking but comes in the middle of a longer climb. The third one (the short cobbled climb) I cannot lie, is a bit of a ba$t@rd. But that’s the point, eh? 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m not against hills but 3 chevrons was a surprise. I’ve probably only ridden my bike 3 times in the last 2 years so I’m looking to ease myself in perhaps a bit more gently than hill hill hill.

nbt

best option then is canal to bugsworth, tramway to whitehough and the road over the back of Eccles pike

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Options for skirting around Lyme Park, after it’s closed’ is closed to new replies.