Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Optimistic Estate Agents
  • petec
    Free Member

A plot of land came up in the village recently. It’s pasture, you can’t build on it, it’s outside the village boundary, in a AONB, on a dangerous corner.

So it’s a plaything, somewhere to store boats or horses.

Except some chancer is now punting it out at four times the price. Bearing in mind the previous sale is still on rightmove, they’ve done nothing to it, and added nothing of value (apart from add a CGI of four houses) you’d have to be incredibly halfwittish to buy it now.

They’ll never get planning. I can guarantee it!

jekkyl

So? if you’re willing to spend that sort of money without researching if planning permission would be granted or not then you deserve to be fleeced.

mattyfez

It’ll sell for what it’s worth, if it’s over priced it won’t sell.

*unless the buyer is cheeky and has mates pays off the relevant people on the local council and does whatever they want.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Surely it’s worth what someone is willing to pay. No point grumbling, especially in that part of the world, if someone is willing to pay more.

brooess
    Free Member

Par for the course in the UK at the moment – pretending property is some magic free money tree and trying to rinse any greater fools they can find…

On a similar note, my tenancy agreement doesn’t end until end Feb and my letting agent’s just sent me a letter asking me if I want to renew, for which they’ll want to charge £45+ VAT – somewhat ignoring the fact it becomes a rolling tenancy when the fixed term expires, therefore nothing to renew, and the government have just announced their intention to ban all letting agents’ fees… I suspect they’re hoping to get me to pay before the ban takes place and are hoping I don’t read the papers or understand an AST…

And as for the OP – that land’s not going to flood ever, is it… I mean, the Thames Valley isn’t a flood plain at all…. 😯

petec
    Free Member

Not grumbling as such. Just amazed at the audacity of it. And the timing of it.

The reason the land was ‘cheap’ was the fact you can’t do anything with it…

But yes, if someone doesn’t investigate the planning issue, it’s there fault.

nickjb
    Free Member

Never say never when it comes to planning. As for the flooding issue, there are plenty of million pound plus house within a few miles up and down stream.

jam-bo

Never say never when it comes to planning.

this.

underfunded, understaffed planning depts make mistakes, lose on appeal and get rolled over. if you’ve got the time and the money I bet you could get planning on it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sadly have to agree – things ain’t so cut and dried as they used to be and who knows what the shower of **** running our country will allow next.

Speeder

It’s just a game of patience if you have the funds to sit on it and can afford to keep lobbing in applications. If it sells it’s pretty much inevitable it’ll get permission in time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If in Aberdeen and it was Stuart Milne

It’d have permission already…..

cokie

I commute past there daily. Lovely part of the world, but you’re right. I can’t every seeing that whole river bank strip from Goring to Pangbourne ever getting planning permission. The A329 is a nasty road too with the solid double white lines along that area. Wonderful piece of land though and great location.

aracer
    Free Member

I disagree. Unless somebody in planning makes an incredibly major cockup, development in open countryside which is what that is doesn’t generally benefit from the current assumption in favour of development. Certainly in our local area where the planning department have been pretty incompetent at times, proposed developments outside of settlement boundaries in open countryside have all been refused permission at appeal despite the absence of an up to date local plan. It isn’t quite as open season on development as some people seem to think.

Sundayjumper

underfunded, understaffed planning depts make mistakes, lose on appeal and get rolled over. if you’ve got the time and the money I bet you could get planning on it.

This.

One of my wife’s friends bought a huge plot with a small bungalow last year, with the intention of building a huge new house. Money not too much of an issue.

They had their first planning application rejected, their architect advises that appealing, re-submitting, re-appealing (repeat as necessary) will get it through without any significant changes.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Buy it, bash the Planning Dept over the head until you get permission for 82 flats i.e.: social housing, forget to build them instead build 4 “exec” homes whilst ignoring any Planning restrictions.

Sell.
    Retire.

Junkyard
    Free Member

with enough money and enough appeals you can put a disproportionate amount of financial pressure on small authorities without the resources to fight you
    I think this is called the tesco approach to planning

jam-bo

Certainly in our local area where the planning department have been pretty incompetent at times, proposed developments outside of settlement boundaries in open countryside have all been refused permission at appeal despite the absence of an up to date local plan. It isn’t quite as open season on development as some people seem to think.

yours must be slightly more competent than mine. gave permission for a caravan park outside the local plan, now got permission to build 110 homes.

Butcher Park Hill, Tavistock 110 new houses – Permitted

duckman

trail_rat – Member

If in Aberdeen and it was Stuart Milne

It’d have permission shonky overpriced bungalows already…..

Posted 2 hours ago #

FTFY.

cookeaa

Never say never when it comes to planning. As for the flooding issue, there are plenty of million pound plus house within a few miles up and down stream.

^^This^^

Just look at Caversham, lots of easily flooded properties sat right on the Thames there, doubt the owners have lost any money, some are rather sensibly elevated or on stilts…

It might seem a bit steep, but if planning were granted for three or four houses there a developer might be turning that 500k into a couple of million quids profit… Worth the gamble if you have deep pockets and maybe well placed mate or two in the LA?

Planning might be granted with certain conditions like keeping roof lines below a certain level, or making other efforts to minimise the buildings impact on the area…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Optimistic Estate Agents’ is closed to new replies.