Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Opinions sought – eBay / Nicolai content
  • mulacs

Ok, I need some external perspective – anyone here an expert on Nicolai frames?

Looking at this on eBay but details are limited and a couple things are niggling.
    From my googling, it looks like a 2012 Helius AC frame, judging by the 4 position suspension link and the tapered head tube. Seller stated it’s custom built but hasn’t been back in touch with any measurements so assuming it’s an L/19″. BUT – why does the crappy peeling decals and non embossed head tube badge make me scratch head? Cable guides don’t seem to match online photos and what’s going on with the upper shock mounting bolt? Pretty sure a nylock nut and a hack sawed off bolt isn’t standard issue.

I’m not suggesting this is a knock off or fake, but would nice to have some reassurance. Can anyone advise re the year/sizing etc – Worth a punt??
    Cheers!

woody2000

My helius had the same top bolt/nylock nut, peeling decals and vinyl headtube badge. Par for the course I think 🙂

Looks tidy to me, if it wasn’t so big I might have had it myself!

Just be aware that a bearing service kit for one of these is about £130 and then you still need to fit it.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yup, looks about right.

£600 is pretty steep so I’d definitely be making an offer.

If you haven’t seen them already the tech sheets are here…

http://www.nicolai-bicycles.com/shop/index.php/techsheet/

bruneep

£600 for 26″ frame? Think I got about half that for mine.

Overpriced in my opinion but it’s worth is only something you can decide.

mulacs

Thanks guys – deffo don’t want to pay 600 for it, seller seems open to suggestions though. Will wait to see if the seller can confirm sizing then go from there. Thanks!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Older bikes just had head tube decals. About a year after the first tapered headtubes they started machining in the N.

Bolt has probably been replaced but bolt plus nylock is right for that generation.

captaindanger

Looks legit, the stickers don’t stick to the matt anodising very well. As above though you won’t be able to sell it on, so you need to be confident you will stick with 26″ wheels FOREVER!

I don’t think there is a noticeable difference between 26 and 27 it’s more availability of forks etc, though I guess you can use 26″ wheels in 27 forks.

Some seem to have a machined head tube, some don’t.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Looking at it on a bigger screen now.

Nothing odd about the cable guides – just set up for 1x drive.

No reason to have ‘custom’ sizing for someone at 6′ so not sure what that’s about. Ask for some measurements. *Looks* like a large.

that’s not a 142mm rear – will be 135x12mm

mulacs

Thanks everyone – I’m pretty wedded to 26″ wheels for the foreseable future – have good wheels/forks etc to see me through. Im assuming my pro2evo can be converted easily to 135 spacing – will double check.
    Still waiting on the seller confirm sizing – even just the ETT would do me to confirm.
    Cheers! 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

ETT is hardest to measure accurately though. Better getting actual seat tube and top tube.

X-ref those to the chart to get the ETT

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Opinions sought – eBay / Nicolai content’ is closed to new replies.