Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Opinions please – New Website
  • Kieran

Ok, here goes.

After a lot of hard work I’m finally happy with my new website and have put it live for everybody to see;

http://www.kieranbennettphotography.com

At the moment its just to show off some of my photos, but the site I’m hosting it with has the ability to act as a shop front end as well so hoping in the long run to maybe sell a few.

Uploaded some photos just to make sure all the features are working correctly so its a little light on content at the moment but it’ll be generally more sports photography with a bit of landscapes and wildlife mixed in.

Any opinions or advice most welcome.

Cheers

Kieran

RealMan
    Free Member

Make the font a little bigger. Apart from that, looks pretty good.

leffeboy

It’s a photography site. Why do I have to click a link before I see ANY photos. Think you might be getting posted to the what makes you angry thread 🙂

And unless you are going to spend a lot on advertising no-one will ever find it. ‘Mountain biking’ just doesn’t cut it. You need text, story, interest, content. At the moment it looks like a template you’ve slapped some photos in to

…and breath

Edukator
    Free Member

Pretty.

I had to put my glasses on to read the small print (so it’s too small) and when I did noticed a comma is missing before the second ‘and’ in the first sentence. I think ‘on request’ would be better in the second sentence.

RealMan
    Free Member

You don’t? There’s a slideshow type thing on the homepage?

fbk
    Free Member

Very nice. Agreed though – needs a bigger font

stratobiker
    Free Member

Kieran – I have a question. How will people find your website, how will they come to know of it’s existence?

SB

Drac

The site looks good, yes the font is too small but the URL is way too complicated. People like a nice simple site to remember.

leffeboy

You don’t? There’s a slideshow type thing on the homepage?

Haha, that funny. My apologies, I guess you must be using flash. Checks calendar…

Kieran

Should be a slideshow on the main page. Can I ask what browser your using Leffeboy? I’ve tested on IE, Firefox and Chrome and could see it on all.

Font size will be increased

Stratobiker – The hosting service I’m using is supposed to make it search engine friendly, however I’m told it could take a few days for this to happen. Mainly its to be through word of mouth or handing out business cards at events I do.

If anybody has any suggestions how to make it higher up the google search results I’d be happy, even if its just when Kieran Bennett Photography is searched.

Cheers

Kieran

leffeboy

Can I ask what browser your using Leffeboy

iPad. It’s not too annoying but there is a lot of clicking to get to any real pics

If anybody has any suggestions how to make it higher up the google search results I’d be happy, even if its just when Kieran Bennett Photography is searched.

Content and more content. Words, stories. Here is a good example
    http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/Rural-Life/Mobile-Milking-Parlour/2484706_xDqcf#130375302_hxhzQ

No-one I know but Google has loads of her pictures because she has lots of stories and Google yums that up and people stay and move around as there is real interest.

Site maps help as well

molgrips
    Free Member

The pictures are a bit.. well.. just pictures of bikes and cars…

Drac

Ok may I also suggest you pic some more inspirational photos too there’s nothing one there that stands out to make me think WOW! I’ll use this guy.

For example your wildlife section has 3 photos in an eagle that is badly cropped, an cat and an owl with it’s eyes shut.

ourmaninthenorth

Second time today on websites. Great to see people doing stuff like this.

I like a lot of the site, but loathe the banner fonts – you have “Kieran Bennett” leaning to the left, and “Photography” leaning to the right. I suggest a simple sans serif style in upper case, like that used for “Photography in the Golden Valley”.

Have changed your text below to remove problems with grammar and punctuation. I’ve also tried to make it read more clearly, but content is, of course, yours and so please take it as a suggestion only:

From

Welcome to my digital portfolio, I’m a photographer based in Cheltenham on the edge of the Cotswold Hills which enables me to explore the beautiful countryside in and around the South West and capture some of the fantastic events that go on here.

Please feel free to browse my images, all are for sale as prints or in a digital format. Commissions are also taken by request. Feel free to contact me and I will be in touch as soon as possible.

To

Welcome to my digital portfolio. I’m a photographer based in Cheltenham on the edge of the Cotswold Hills, a location which enables me to explore the beautiful countryside in and around the South West and capture some of the fantastic events that go on here.

Please feel free to browse my images. All are for sale as prints or in a digital format. I am delighted to take commissions, and look forward to discussing your requirements.

You can contact me by following the link at the top of the page.

leffeboy

If anybody has any suggestions how to make it higher up the google search results….

…keeps going. No keywords near the photos so Google has no idea what they are about.

Your name, image title, tags, description – stick this in the Exif of the images before uploading them

Welcome to my digital portfolio. I’m a photographer based in Cheltenham on the edge of the Cotswold Hills, a location which enables me to explore the beautiful countryside in and around the South West and capture some of the fantastic events that go on here.

That is good 🙂

clickpic.com has a PR of 1 – that is bad since your images are pulled from their URL (but still better than 0 of course 🙂 )

xiphon
    Free Member

Whats up with the florida car insurance hyperlink?

And get a proper web host you cheapskate!!!

http://www6.clikpic.com/kieranbennett/

Kieran

Thanks for all the feedback, already changed the font size and will make the rest tomorrow.

It’s only a start but I’m quite proud of it so far.

Xiphon – not sure what you mean, yes its hosted by clicpic but it certainly wasn’t cheap and not sure what that address is you’ve posted?!?

AdamW
    Free Member

Bottom of screen I see:

/>

href=”http://www.myautoinsurancegenie.com”>florida car insurance

You’ve got a hanging link in there. Using Safari/Mac. Not too keen on flash tbh, makes the fans on my laptops kick off and I’d consider what mobile devices may be looking (Android/iOS).

Also I don’t understand:

Please check my calendar for upcoming events and check back for updates after.

After what?

How about:

Please check my calendar for upcoming events. Shortly afterwards new images from them will be posted here.

(or similar).

Kieran

Ah, seems to be something put in by the counter I’ve used, will be gone in the morning. All looks great on my Android phone 😀

My English isn’t the best and I had it proof read by a dyslexic! (cheers Martin)

xiphon
    Free Member

The URL posted is the *actual* URL of your website, not http://www.kieranbennettphotography.com

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I would prefer not to have to scroll to see all of the content on the homepage (ie the homepage should all fit on a standard aspect monitor with a couple of browser toolbars )

Make sure you submit your site to all of the major search engines (DMOZ and Yahoo spring to mind) Get yourself a facebook page with your web address included, contribute to local/relevant photography forums with your web address in your signature.

emma82
    Free Member

is good, I like it 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

There are a few photographers’ websites I like.

Here’s my friend Ed’s – http://www.edrollasonphotography.co.uk

He’s handsomedog on here (or used to be).

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Opinions please – New Website’ is closed to new replies.