Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • opinions Penmachno or Llandegla
  • anagallis_arvensis

Did both this weekend and was really suprised at which my mate thought was the best. Which do you guys prefer and why?

lucien

Jeez, not much of a choice – personally I found both pretty uninspiring and in no rush to go back to either

mtbfix

Chalk and cheese.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tom-B
    Free Member

They’re both just completely different….Deggy is the epitome of a Trail centre and Penmachno is probably the most wild/natural feeling way marked route that I’ve ever done.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Steak and beefburger(mcdonalds).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Wine vs beer. I liked both: deglas got more hits and stuff and is friendly like a party in the cafe while pen feels like riding some remote hunters path a lot of the time due to its narrower footprint and lack of other riders. Pen can be very wet, is more rough and the climbs are maybe a bit more taxing. Both are quite technically moderate at bimbling speeds. Like all trail centre rides, you have to go flat out and then they are immense fun. Degla really rewards speed especially because you start to pop off and pump all the little hits and rollers that don’t really notice if you are going slower. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea mind. Talking of tea, there is nothing at Pen although The Eagles pub in the village is OK. The cafe in degla is fairly good and there is a bike shop with nice stuff.

anagallis_arvensis

I thought Llandegla was about as dull as riding my bike can be ie still fun but I wouldnt rush back. Penmachno on the other hand was excellent fun had some real interest if not hard stuff felt like a proper ride.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

Gets me that people just rate llandegla itself, when you can link up the bridleways and hills to make a nice littke 50mile route around the hills.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Fosters vs Carlsberg, Pot Noodle vs Super Noodles, Girls Aloud vs Sugarbabes…

RustySpanner

I love Penmachno.
    One of my favourite places to ride.

I love Llandegla too, it’s fun, really well designed and has got better over the years – the new bits in particular are superb.

Don’t think the caff is as good as everyone says though, and the bike shop’s, well, just a bike shop.

So both, but for different reasons.

tazzymtb

prefer penmachno as it’s more fun on a rigid single speed (don’t get the “feels remote” comments as it’s hardly out in the wilds but hey) 😀

llandegla is a nice quick spin but gods it’s dull at anything less than warp speed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

you can link up the bridleways

You do realise bridleway is where offa’s dyke passes through the forest (and the ‘planks’) and that the majority of local rights of way are footpaths…..don’t you?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Gets me that people just rate llandegla itself, when you can link up the bridleways and hills to make a nice littke 50mile route around the hills.

Why does it ‘get you’? If I go to Llandegla I go to ride the jumps, berms, drops and stuff – not the natural stuff nearby. For that, I rate it.

Oh and “a nice little 50 mile route” – 50 miles? I suspect the typical Llandegla clientele aren’t too bothered about doing 50 mile loops.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why does it ‘get you’? If I go to Llandegla I go to ride the jumps, berms, drops and stuff – not the natural stuff nearby. For that, I rate it.

Because people love to be snobbish about not riding man made trials while going off riding on trails made by er man/woman….

Both are great but for me it needs to be ridden hard/flat out to get the most (or covered in snow)
    Llandegla is jumpy/swoopy/flowy with a nice burger & chips at the end.
    Penmachno is rocky, twisty, tight with nothing but an exposed car park at the end.

Love both still, but with I could be man enough to never ride them.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Penmachno can easily be done by kayak so scores points over other trails for that. 😉

I have the Peak as my stomping ground – yet I love Llandegla. Something different innit?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d never make a special trip to do Penmachno I think because it feels ‘natural’ and as such doesn’t feel that special as theres a load more riding thats as good/better around. I like the fact that trail centres offer something a bit different to ‘natural’ riding which is why I visit them… I’m quite happy driving straight past Penmachno on my way to Coed-y-Brenin.

mark88

Penmachno is probably my favourite ride, some good singletrack and all links together really well. Amount of descents considering there’s not too much climbing is impressive.
    I wouldn’t bother going back to Llandegla, seemed to be poorly laid out with a lot more fire roads and generally unremarkable riding. Placement of some of the jumps on the trail ruined the flow, just seemed to be there for the sake of having an extra jump rather than fitting it in with the rest of the trail. The rest of my mates loved it there though, so maybe I was just having a bad day. The jump and freeride areas looked fun but were closed when I went.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I really like Penmachno, it’s my favourite ‘man made’ trail. Mainly because it’s never very busy, isn’t overly maintained so it feels more ‘natural’ and it’s only just over an hour away.

The Falls cafe just down the road is also awesome.

MadPierre

Got scratched to **** by the encroaching brambles at Penmachno a couple of weeks ago so can all you Penmachno lovers please ride it a bit more often to keep em back?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘opinions Penmachno or Llandegla’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts