Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Operation Puerto
  • MSP

Blood bags to be handed over at last, wonder which names will fall now.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/36527895

cultsdave
    Free Member

Hopefully the other sports involved that just ignore their doping problems will be found out too.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My recollection is a bit hazy on this but the BBC article only mentions cyclists but i thought that there were other sports (football & tennis ring a bell) that were involved in Puerto. Or am I misremembering?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Could be interesting. Though given how long it’s taken I’d not be holding my breath. Surely must be time for another round of appeals and injunctions.

Is that just the bags related to cyclists or all bags? Tennis and football were the other two sports linked.

legolam
    Free Member

Apparently, WADA’s statute of limitations on these blood bags (10 years) ran out 11 days ago, so it may be unlikely that athletes are retrospectively banned, even if they are named as a result of this.

JAG

Naming and shaming, whilst not the best outcome, will still send out the correct message.

However let’s hope for more 👿

scotroutes

Apparently, WADA’s statute of limitations on these blood bags (10 years) ran out 11 days ago

what an amazing coincidence.

mrblobby
    Free Member

even if they are named as a result of this.

Quite surprised at the number of riders still active listed as being associated with Puerto, assumed that the majority would have retired anyway.

Would be good to see the names of the tennis and football players though. Maybe a tarnished legacy or two.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

“Should” be interesting. I must admit I was expecting more delays/cover ups with my theory being that major successful Spanish sports stars are involved and the authorities would prevent a massive scandal if they could.

eskay

legolam – Member

Apparently, WADA’s statute of limitations on these blood bags (10 years) ran out 11 days ago, so it may be unlikely that athletes are retrospectively banned, even if they are named as a result of this.

If no sporting sanctions can be imposed then hopefully sponsors may be able to go after some compensation.

Will be good to get the names out in the open (all sports).

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

What names do we think might be implicated???????

Trimix
    Free Member

Probably most of the winners.

eskay

Not sure it would be correct to guess names on here but a few have been mentioned elsewhere on the internet over the years. Like others have said, some high profile Spanish athletes and that is probably why they have been fighting to get the bags destroyed.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Football seems to be the most heavily speculated. Fuentes claims he “prepared” a top team for the Champions League. And…

”In 2006 I worked with all types of athletes. Footballers, athletes, cyclists, boxer and tennis players,” Fuentes told the court.

I think the courts have told IAAF that no track and field athletes are involved… though not sure how they know this if they don’t know if the blood in the bags is still to be identified.

mikeyp

I would imagine a few members of the Barcelona and Real Madrid teams will be preparing statements.

Klunk
    Free Member

some interesting names at Real Madrid between 2003 and 2007.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

1) statute expired
    2) powerful rich corrupt governing bodies with vested interests in covering up, especially if former dopers now coaches, managers, administrators etc
    3) how are they going to identify the bags? DNA – compared to what samples? There isn’t a worldwide sports DNA database they can compare profiles too like our criminal database. They could do direct comparisons of samples, but where’s the suspect list? Do they have the power to request DNA samples from athletes who competed pre bio passport?

I’ve set my expectations dial to low.

Edit, oh and
    4) Fuentes has been cleared of wrongdoing because administering blood isn’t the same as drugs?

decky
    Free Member

Don’t forget the Spanish national side, and there top ranked tennis player,still think it will be a white wash,but as said above,could be very interesting.
    There are three widely known substances or methods used for blood doping: injections of erythropoietin (EPO), synthetic oxygen carriers and blood transfusions.
    I remember a few years ago, cycling team doctors were transfusing,the wrong blood into there cyclist’s
    maybe another excuse for Brexit 😆

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Nadal 1000000000%

lunge

Real Madrid in the early/mid 00’s
    And therefore, Barcelona in the same period.
    Spanish football team.
    Nadal
    Jens Voigt

Those names are in no way connected to either each other or this discussion, no sir.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nadal 1000000000%

Well now that would be an interesting one given how vocal he’s been about wanting the data out in the open…

“I think it’s a mistake not to give the names of those who have cheated – they deserve at least contempt from all athletes.” (here)

At least that’s what he said when he thought the bags were being destroyed.

igm

Please not Jens. Say it ain’t so.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve probably missed the obvious answer during this case, but what’s stopping the Spanish from getting Dr Fuentes to grass up the guilty athletes ?

Edit: I answered that question myself earlier 😳

lunge

Please not Jens. Say it ain’t so.

I don’t want it to be Jens but an Eastern German who joined a sports school at 14 years old, who rode in the dirtiest period of cycling with CSC under Riis’s management. There’s a lot to suggest he may be I’m afraid.

igm

On the plus side, he was never that good a climber.

A big strong rider who was good at the things a big strong rider should be good at and not the things a small light rider should be good at.

But the sad thing is you can’t discount it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t want it to be Jens but an Eastern German who joined a sports school at 14 years old, who rode in the dirtiest period of cycling with CSC under Riis’s management. There’s a lot to suggest he may be I’m afraid.

Indeed. I’m actually prepared to believe that he wasn’t a doper, but his story that he NEVER EVER even saw any evidence of doping… this is in all his years in the pro peloton, spanning some of the dirtiest periods in cycling, riding for CSC under Riis (a big fan of bloody doping and Fuentes, read Hamilton’s book for an insight into what that was like). Hmmm…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There isn’t a worldwide sports DNA database they can compare profiles too like our criminal database.

If only they already had blood samples from every competitive athlete, ever, in a lab somewhere.

I presume there’s no data protection type issue because the blood/DNA data is being used to test for cheating, I.e. for the reasons it was originally given consent.

chakaping
    Free Member

his story that he NEVER EVER even saw any evidence of doping

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, so hard to believe that it then makes you question everything else he says about doping.

MoreCashThanDash

Pretty much everyone doped in that era. If you pick any of them as a figure to admire – even the great Jens Voigt – without a tiny niggle of doubt, I’ve got really bad news for you about the Tooth Fairy….

Jens will always be one of the great characters of the sport. If it ever turns out that he had outside assistance, I’ll still remember the fun I had watching him ride and being interviewed.

scaredypants

I really would like to think that ALL those bags will end up with a name associated with each one of them

I’m going to start right now and continue right up until the inevitable limp, platitude-laden conclusion to the whole thing

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Operation Puerto’ is closed to new replies.