Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Openfiets Maps on to an Edge830
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

dear techno garmin map wizards –

I have used the openfietsmap opensource maps on my old Edge800, they were hugely better for offroad MTB than the base Garmin maps. Used them reliably for years, even in the Alps, offroad tracks are all there. I’ve basically never used the garmin base map at all.

I’ve now got an 830. Its got the latest garmin base ‘2020.20’ map version loaded.
    Before i upload and change to the openfiets, is it still the same that openfiets is way better for offroad mapping and track visibility? I’ve not used the 830 in anger yet, but i have assumed that the garmin map doesnt really care what Edge you’ve got, its still great for onroad, crap for offroad.

And i also assume i should disable the garmin map if enable the openfiets, but there are several garmin maps showing up on the list on the device. which ones MUST i disable to keep things working? if any?

ta

robertpb
    Free Member

Have you looked at the maps on your edge 830, mine shows every footpath, bridleway, track and more besides where I live. They are based on OSM.

dazzydw
    Free Member

Yes, but only the local stuff and the off road areas looked pretty empty, hence the question.
    I would rather just use the garmin map if its up to the job of proper mtb offroad. I will spend an hour or so and have a look around the peak district.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Openfiets Maps on to an Edge830’ is closed to new replies.