Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Open water swimming
  • aracer
    Free Member

This is my local open water swim training spot:

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/10546289.Death_Quarry__body_of_second_man_dredged_from_the_depths/

I haven’t been for quite a while as I no longer compete regularly in events with open water swims. Would it be wrong of me to go and have a last swim in there before they do decide to take more active measures to prevent people from doing so (suggestions being made include filling it in and fencing it off)?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Why? If people didn’t die and/or if there’s no chance of the lake being made out of bounds would you feel the need for one last swim? 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

If there wasn’t the possibility of them stopping me from swimming in there, then I’d be able to go for another swim later this year or sometime next year. Hence no urgency to go. I thought that would be obvious?

samuri
    Free Member

What the news article has highlighted as a reminder is when people are drowning they don’t splash about a lot on the surafce of the water like everyone thinks they will. They’re drowning because they’ve cramped or their body is locking up on them.
    They make a little bit of noise if they’re lucky and they just go under. Drowning is a quiet death. If someone is asking for help and they don’t look particularly distressed, chances are they are and they need immediate help.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve not been up the Gullet for many years swimming but people will always find somewhere to go. Guys at work go the river in Hereford, Ross etc. If they try and fence it off kids/big kids will just find a way in. I reckon they will end up either filling or draining it.
    It’s tragic that 2 lives have been lost up there in a week

sleepless
    Free Member

One of our our local swimming pool is Coniston which a lad died in the other day. We wear wet suits as it can be a crafty cold place. We know it is dangerous as are the other local tarns around here but we look out for each other and take a canoe along to Wastwater for example, just for extra support. Closing is not the answer, education is. Devils bridge on the Lune is a good example of people ignoring closed signs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Open water swimming’ is closed to new replies.