• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Open UP
  • robowns
    Free Member

After deliberating for about a year, I finally got around to selling my MTB (road bike to follow) and I’ve acquired an Open UP. Didn’t like the stock colours so got Ali at Fatcreations (who did a stellar job) to paint it up for me. Came out quite well I think – just need another set of wheels now, having nicked these from the road bike.

MoreCashThanDash

That is gorgeous 😍

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Don’t watch the Hambini review

Looks nice

sandboy

As a lifelong Wolves supporter, I’m loving the colour, Very nice bike!!

convert

Geez – I can’t see that ending well.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oooh what a beauty!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Looks lovely.

But

Hambini

robowns
    Free Member

Saw it before purchase, didn’t change my opinion in any way. Negligible difference between frames anyway let’s be honest.

Edukator
    Free Member

Lovely, but it is a road bike!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

True but I was very impressed by the matching rear light in the top photo.

Daffy

FWIW, mine (open UPPER) was also CT scanned and had a single <1mm void in the NDS chainstay close to the disc mount.

My BB (Chris King) has been installed for 18months and has about 3000km on it. I don’t have any issues.

The colour you’ve chosen is both brave and lovely, OP.

kayak23

Must have been really difficult to mask the gravel when you painted that wall. Respect.

swavis

I expected Leftfield
    *is disappoint*

matt_outandabout

Top marks for the light matching the frame.

robowns
    Free Member

Must have been really difficult to mask the gravel when you painted that wall. Respect.

Looks a mess, needs redoing every six months because it turns green after one!

nealglover
    Free Member

That’s good general advice regardless of any bike purchase.

robbie
    Free Member

I’ve got about 6000km on my open up.
    Original bottom bracket with no problem. It gets used for everything from fast road rides. Bikepacking and rough gravel. It gets used and abused. Really do like it.
    Watched the Hambini review and didn’t like what I heard but then had to tell myself that he seems to have had it in for them since the cervelo days. Not saying the frame is as perfect as it should be for the price but loving mine.

gary

I expected Leftfield

As a fan of the band and an owner of the bike I’m appalled I never made that connection!

sweepy
    Free Member

Nice bike 🙂
    If its algae making the wall green try Algon

robowns
    Free Member

Watched the Hambini review and didn’t like what I heard but then had to tell myself that he seems to have had it in for them since the cervelo days

As long as it doesn’t snap, it really doesn’t bear any relevance whatsoever to the rider to be honest. Frame is massively overpriced for what it is, but was the only thing out there that looks good and has the geo I wanted (also didn’t want a load of ugly mounting points, given my intended use).

Thanks Sweepy, will give that a go in Spring.

Daffy

I’m not so sure about it being overpriced.

Yes, there are Chinese frames with similar style and geometry, but they’re generally made from T700. The UPPER is primarily made from T1000 which is substantially more expensive. This makes it lighter by almost 35% than an equivalent Carbonda. It also feels MUCH stiffer and livelier than my Carbonda. On race wheels, it feels and performs every bit as well as a race bike.

A full T1000 frame even from China will be double and a bit the price of a cheaper one. So about £1200, the Upper is £3000 and comes with much better axles, etc. Given the Design work that’s gone into it and that it’s supplied with a European warranty, I don’t think it’s too bad.

Daffy

86k on mine this morning – should’ve taken a bike with guards :-/

dirtyrider
    Free Member

did you laugh to yourself a tiny bit when you wrote that,

of course they are overpriced (and i’ve had a O-1.1 and the Mrs still has one)

jako

Like Vroonen’s approach to bike design – all the way back to the Cerverlo Solist. And I love riding my Open Wi.De. Had I not already had my road bike, I am not sure I would have one – and rather just ride my Open on and off road.

LeeW

Daffy

FWIW, mine (open UPPER) was also CT scanned and had a single <1mm void in the NDS chainstay close to the disc mount.

Where did you get that done?

We do UT on composites at work, often wondered if we could set up commercially but the tanks are <4m3.

Scanned some odds and sods just for fun, problem is you will never know if it’s a void or inclusion without cutting it up. That’s why we prepare in Class 8 cleanrooms.

robowns
    Free Member

I’ll remain skeptical, but if it’s worth it for you then it’s a good purchase. For me, I’m convinced the only thing that makes a difference to an amateur rider is how much you like the bike; you like it more you ride it more.

Daffy

An UP is what? £2600 at the current exchange rate? A Cervelo S5 disc is £4200+

There’s not much difference in weight, which is remarkable given that’s it’s CEN tested to MTB standards and whilst it’s not as aero, it is more versatile.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Open UP’ is closed to new replies.