Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Open street map in Wales
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Why is open street map so poor in Wales? I know OS has a far bigger legacy but the difference between OS and OSM here is huge. Any reason for this other than no one has added it yet?

jam-bo

it like wikipedia for maps. its only as good as the contributor.

loads of editing tools out there.

scotroutes

Get on with it then!

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s ok by me. There’s only one gap I know of on the ground, but conversely OSM has loads of new singletrack on it that is never going to be on OS.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ll be editing it when I’m back but just surprised how lacking it is.

scotroutes

Remember to include those secret trails 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Where abouts in Wales are you? Despite what a lot of English people seem to think it’s not one place.

tillydog
    Free Member

Where abouts in Wales are you?

This^

I find it has far more detail than OS around my bit of North Wales.

thepodge
    Free Member

Ffestiniog / Betws-y-Coed kind of area

whitestone
    Free Member

Go to openstreetmap.org, register then update/modify to your heart’s content.

Don’t do silly things like changing footpaths to bridleways or vice versa, just make sure things are correct which is actually quite hard to do. Worth reading the documentation about paths, RoWs, etc. as it’s not UK oriented and there’s separate markup for legal status, what the path or track is actually like on the ground along with preferred route (this is used for something like sending horse riders on a quieter loop to avoid traffic)

Your changes will only appear on maps when those who generate/distribute them do another pull of the data for that area and then publish them. I think someone mentioned that Garmin do this just once a year.

leffeboy

If you are going to edit (and you should) it is worth spending a bit of time learning how routes are tagged and how to join routes properly.  There is often different ways of tagging in different countries and routes that look like they are joined but aren’t are a pain for routing

But it isn’t that difficult and is a great thing to do.

tillydog
    Free Member

Ffestiniog / Betws-y-Coed kind of area

Out curiosity, I looked at what was on my OSM based map (Open Fiets Map from 2017 – really must update it!)

At roughly 1:50k

OS maps

OFM

At roughly 1:25k

OFM

The display of the OFM maps isn’t optimised for this zoom level, so don’t knock it for that.

The level of detail looks similar (to me).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Open street map in Wales’ is closed to new replies.