Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Open Male vs Sport Male – What's The Difference?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Fewer laps in the Open cat, but what does it mean?

Who are the “Sport”-ey Males? I can understand Vets, Grand Vets and so on. Sport Male is an age restricted cat, while Open is not. So is Sport for under 40s who think they’re fast, but aren’t, or is Open for competitors who don’t want to be hemmed in by an age range?

schmiken

Sport is supposedly the 18-29s, but those in the 30s can choose to race down a category and can choose to race Sport. You also can’t get BC points in Open. Think of Open as a category between Fun and the ‘proper’ races.

chives
    Free Member

Sport might be 18-39 years, then you’d be in Vets 40-49 etc. Open gives you a chance to race over (typically) a shorter distance, or to perhaps do better results-wise than you might in the ‘sport’ (or vets) cat.

For instance, if I’m racing XC I’m in the vets cat. Consequently I’m usually 2/3rds of the way down the field, with folks like Paul Hopkins (Merida UK) winning the vets cat. If I entered in the ‘open’ category, I would probably finish higher up the field.

It depends to a large degree on conditions though, as well as who’s entered. If its filthy muddy I’ll get a better result typically. (The fit boys can’t get their power down).

As I only race for the pleasure of being able to blast round at full tilt with a bunch of like-minded folk, often on new routes, I’d rather do the full race distance and try and beat my own previous best than worry about getting anywhere near a podium. YMMV.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Open Male vs Sports Male means something VERY different in Brighton!

simon1975

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the “Sport” category closed to racers who hold a licence? “Open” is open to all, including “Experts”.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Crap. Does that mean I need a license to enter in the Sport Male cat? Didn’t see them ask for my license in the entry form.

simon1975

No. Quite the opposite as I said…

If you don’t hold a racing license you may enter either category!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Ah, that makes more sense than me thinking “restricted to license holders”!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect this, but does anyone know if you need a race license to enter the Masters cat, or do these things vary from race to race?

A mate is buggering about. The plan was for us to all enter the Sport cat to start early and finish early. He’s now dithering about where he’s going to place. Personally, I don’t care whether I’m last in Sport, or back of the pack in Open, or dead last in Masters. But why the need for all these categories? It is doing my nut in.

Colin-T

Sport and Masters are specific age classes (Sport 18 to 29, Masters 30 to 39)
    Open can be entered by any adult irrespective of age.

It is rare to need a licence to enter a specific age cat although you won’t be eligable for any BC points without one. Open won’t have any BC points as its not a BC category.

Essentially, if you are serious or semi-serious then enter your appropriate age cat. If you just want a race then Open is less serious although there will still be some fast people at the front.

Generally Open is shorter as many of the riders in that race will be slower/less fit than the other cats.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The confusion here is Sport has been listed as 18-39 and Masters as 30-39. All cleared up now.

My main reason for entering Open is the start time (1000-ish). 3 laps would be my preferred race length, but I don’t want to hang about all day on a Sunday with race nerves (we all get them even if we’re not racing for first) for an afternoon start!

Cheers for the response mate.

mrmo
    Free Member

masters you will get a kicking, sport is easier ime.

Masters is full of ex elite/expert who have dropped to age cat.

njee20
    Free Member

It does vary by series – at the Britsh XC you need a licence for anything but Fun/Open if you’re doing more than one round (you certainly did, they may have changed it).

However it’s advertised, sport will always be an option – BC will give you a sport licence even if you’re technically a master (just as plenty of the elites are actually masters, and even vets in a few cases).

Open is just that – open. It always used to be called novice, but folk wanted it changed, then moan it’s full of ‘pot hunters’. No pleasing some.

Sport will be easier than masters at the front end, but generally a bit more consistent, masters can drop off further back in the field.

If the time and the duration suits you, just race open!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Njee, are you racing the Gorrick Autumn Series?

njee20
    Free Member

Njee, are you racing the Gorrick Autumn Series?

Sorry, slow reply! I may do one of them, depends on weather and if I get any sort of training done really!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

age categories should be dropped. There should just be ability categories. Just cos people are older doesnt make them slower quite the opposite at sport/open level normally.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Open Male vs Sport Male – What's The Difference?’ is closed to new replies.