• This topic has 59 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • open face lid and goggles. Why?
  • arcadian
    Free Member

I bought a set of goggles recently after an incident a couple of month ago when my eyes teared up and I half blinked out a contact lens. My eyes had been getting more tear-y in the latter half of last year and wasn’t sure if it was new prescription, or a different brand of lens, but always caused by the wind effect when going at a fair speed.
    Would rather look a bit OTT with goggles than nearly plow into a tree because I was blinking like mad again 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Houns

Ah

But it was you crossing the lights at the cross roads bottom of stallings lane early this afternoon ?

ON THE FOOTPATH!

😆

colournoise

Garage-dweller. My Oakley goggles go over my prescription glasses no problem.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I’m not a fan of the look, or goggles in general, or any eyewear tbh ( always either steam up or get shitted up) but they do make you go faster, you feel more protected behind goggles and therefore more confident.

garage-dweller

Thanks colournoise

Might have a little shop around

justinbieber

@garage-dweller, Oakley o-frames just about fit over my glasses. Worth just trying a few different goggles before heading straight to the super large ones

Northwind

My glasses fit under my Oakley MXs but it doesn’t work well when riding, too many nosepieces, can’t really adjust the glasses once the goggles are on, and they seem to move differently so the glasses can move against the frame. Not too bad but a bit irritating so I only did it a couple of times

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I suspect in many cases it might be the cool dudes ie

dying for the Moto look

BUT tbh I think it’s not a bad idea for eye protection and better vision. Problems with any misting up might be down to not very well designed goggles. I’ve got a friend or two (the less fashion conscious ones) who wear them for alps climbing for better vision where infact glacier glasses are very much the norm and ‘cool’. Altho I think much to do with DH/Enduro tag is purely about looks and a desire to look like your DH/Enduro, I can’t help but think goggles are a better tool for the job on mtb descents.

rickon
    Free Member

Glasses dont fit with my trail helmet, and after several sequential rides ending up with picking dirt out of my eyes for the following week, i biught some goggles.

I wear them anywhere fast, or very muddy. So Inners DH, golfie, GT natural trails….

They’re invaluable for me, as Ive not had dirt in my eyes since wearing them.

Dont see the point on anything that isnt either very fast, e.g. DH trails, or fast muddy stuff.

But, that said, each to their own. It cant be fashion, cause i know I look like a bell end with them on. And im a handsome chap 😉

walleater

People ride around Canuck Chase wearing goggles now? Enduuuuuuuuurrrooooo…..

Despite first wearing goggles when MTBing circa 1989, I’ve always hated the feeling of disconnection with the outside world. Even doing laps of Whistler Bike Park I’d commit the cardinal sin of wearing sunglasses with a full face rather than goggles. Still, I probably looked less of a tawt than if I was wearing goggles with an XC lid. Having said that, I look like an utter tool not wearing anything on my head, so make all of this what you will 😀

hora
    Free Member

Wear what works. I’m sick of backpacks. Always have been. So now I’m trying a runners hip pack. That makes me odd to some as well. OP we don’t always conform. Or have to follow road rider rules.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Oakley L Frames are proper over-glasses goggles. No issues at all, though I’ve poked all the foam vents out.

stewartc
    Free Member

Do it on occasion, I find that on hot days its good for both the dust and sweat, and when the humidity is in the high 90’s'(glasses just never seem to de-mist).
    I do feel safer wearing them than normal glasses, but most of the time when I’m doing uplift days I would be wearing a FF anyway.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I do it just to annoy people who care.

And

I use a pisspot with goggles for DH and a pisspot for my bmx and a pisspot for my endurolollololling and a pisspot for climbing and I have a fullface which I probably wear once a year.

Fun. This year I’m going to have a bumbag on while I ride around in a vest top and ripped jeans. I’ll probably have my full face on then. I’m just a Matt macduff/ sensitive RULES parody.

Edit: I feel more confident, more faith in my peripheral vision, take more chances, faster.

singlespeedstu

Houns.
    Not me mate.
    I was over Bridgnorth way yesterday.

Houns

Good job I didn’t shout any abuse then! 😆

andyrm
    Free Member

I’m currently looking into the open face/goggles/cutoff skinny jeans/wifebeater look (a la Eddie Masters) for this summer, precisely so I can piss off uptight “cyclist” types with their standard “overbiked”/”bridleway riding is best”/Lycra love way of thinking…..

Northwind

Just to repeat something I said earlier- a proper mudguard keeps mud out of your eyes better than goggles do, and also stops you getting mud on your goggles/glasses. But hardly anybody uses those. I know a lot of folks just don’t know how good they are but I reckon fashion has to account for a lot of it too

Digby

i hate wearing googles for snowboarding let alone biking

Really? Do you mind me asking why?

As a contact lens wearer I think I’m naturally more protective/defensive of my eyes (probably stems for wearing NHS glasses as a child), but the loss of vision due to watering eyes at speed or in cold wind is enough of a reason for me. Other factors include the inevitable face-plant in the snow which is just unthinkable in sunglasses.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘open face lid and goggles. Why?’ is closed to new replies.