Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Open Bar Ends ?
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

Anyone know of an open clamp or two piece clamp bar end? I am thinking of creating a poor mans surly moloko bar, so need bar ends I can clamp to a tube that I cannot slide them onto.

oliverracing

I had a look a few years ago and the closest thing I could find was some of the odd shaped extensions sold by PX/on-one at the time. Not really what you’d call bar end and no idea if they’re still obtainable

EDIT: Here – But there were 20+ types available at one point from memory

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would something like a Cinelli Spinaci (spl?) work?

benp1

I’ve been looking for some of these two

Don’t forget about bar diameters

trailwagger
    Free Member

Would something like a Cinelli Spinaci (spl?) work?

They would, but they offend my eyes so badly I would never be able to look at my bike again.

Doesn’t need to be that big, more of a small straight stubby type thing.

FOG

Didn’t TOG make some a couple of years ago? They were intended to fit inboard of the grips to give a slightly different hand position but where you would get them in the uk now I don’t know

benp1

They were more a thumb rest rather than an inboard bar end

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

OP, what’s the diameter of the bar area to be clamped?

trailwagger
    Free Member

OP, what’s the diameter of the bar area to be clamped?

I havnt bought the bars yet, either lovemud confucious, or on-one Geoff bars

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ ok, reason I asked is in case you might find use of 2x cheap, longish quill stems (normally have smaller clamp diameter) and cut them down as stubby ends.

Something like these

Doubtful though, as most stems with a face-plate fixing are 25.4mm, unless BMX stems which are 22mm, but they are typically massive clamps with short reach, so no use as such here.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ OP, just roughly measured the loop diameter on my Geoff bars and seems to be 22.2mm.

Bar-ends on the front there (if you could find some) could be stretching you out effectively aero-style (see also Jeff Jones’ ‘Narwhale’), is that what you’re after? If instead you want sweep + climbing leverage/alternate position then maybe better to just stump up for some Koga Denham bars? I spotted them after purchasing the Geoffs, and now having some buyer’s remorse/grass is greener as the loop on the Geoff’s isn’t as useful for extensive climbing as hoods on wide drop-bars or having bar ends, IME.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*edit – ‘Gnarwhal’ 😬

Bez

Doesn’t need to be that big, more of a small straight stubby type thing.

PJay
    Free Member

Would these work? – Zirbelaci

The clamps are available separately too.

Planet-X have 3TTT Tiramisu Bar Extensions which look like they have similar clamps but a bigger size which might not work.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Would these work?

As above, yes they would work but are ugly.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Just found these… Not sure if they would work or how long they are. Never seen them before and not really sure what the are.

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/handlebars-bar-ends-c75/dc138-hand-rest-p11941

PJay
    Free Member

These possibly also fit into the ugly camp but have a hinged clamp (not sure of the diameter)

null

hols2
    Free Member

There seem to be road and MTB versions. The MTB version has a 22.2 mm diameter to fit just inside the standard grips, the road version fits a 31.8 mm bar inboard, by the stem. To be totally cool, you would obviously fit both.

https://www.spirgrips.com/shop/en/accueil/12-spirgrips-road-handles.html

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I just got a foot/kick-bike with a pair SQLabs ‘innerbarends’. They effectively provide an inboard grip on riser or flat bars that mimics an ‘on the hoods’ position of drop-bars. Apparently they do/did a split clamp version, at least according to this:

https://mbaction.com/sqlab-innerbarends-test/amp/

kaiser
    Free Member

As previously suggested ..find a cheap ,long stem with 25.4 faceplate and use a 22.2 to 25.4 shim .Cut of the end that’s not needed and plug/tape them.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I might be missing something here…

Set of the non cinelli horrid things and remove them when you aren’t using them? Because you’ve specifically asked for that function!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Open Bar Ends ?’ is closed to new replies.