Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Open and closed hydraulics
  • theski101
    Free Member

Hi there STW,

I spotted these on eBay and the seller assures me it works a treat, but I always thought you couldn’t mix ‘n match open and closed brake components?

Does this really work?!

Cheers,

Adam

mjsmke

As far as I know it’s the lever that determines an open or closed system. So no reason why I different caliper wouldn’t work. Closed just means there is no ‘self feeding’ reservoir to compensate for pad wear and fluids expansion.

Slogo
    Free Member

The brakes are ancient, an extra couple of quid will get you something a lot better.

thomthumb
    Free Member

The brakes are ancient, an extra couple of quid will get you something a lot better.

+ this.

£55. buy some new deore brakes – miles better.

wwaswas

I’d be worried that the piston size ratio between the levers and calipers wasn’t right too.

[advert]

I could sell you a newer pair of Magura Marta’s with 160mm disks for the starting price of the auction.

[/advert]

theski101
    Free Member

Crikey that was quick..!

I’m looking to replace a leaky M965 caliper- how do new deores compare? I’d pretty much convinced myself it isn’t worth finding a new caliper to run on the old levers and fancied something different. Are the older Hopes worth looking at all or shall I really just sack it in and get new deores? Was looking at Mono Mini rear/M4 front combo..

Cheers,

Adam

cp

Those Hopes are a backward step from your Shimanos. I’d look at just getting some new Deores.

76.99 gets you these

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brakes-front-rear-set-62194.html

Slogo
    Free Member

Those hopes must be over 12 years old. I wouldn’t get anything older than the Hope Tech lever. X2 M4 style. I think some went in the classifieds for £80-90 the other day.

cynic-al
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    I’d be worried that the piston size ratio between the levers and calipers wasn’t right too.

Is there any brake company who uses different levers/ratios for different calipers?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t look at the link from here but closed hope brakes had piston return springs so the wouldn’t self adjust even with an open lever.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

If you want Hopes, I’ll sell you a M4 front and mini rear with proper levers for £40

Email in profile if interested.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Open and closed hydraulics’ is closed to new replies.