Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Oops…what have I done?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Appreciate there could be a few options here…seeing doc will be one of them.

Short burst of running for a bus last night and felt inside of right calf ‘go’.
    Instant mega-pain and hobbling. Never happened before. Feels like it’s deep internal and not on the surface. Can’t really put any pressure on it – can’t walk properly at all and in severe pain if I try and walk normally without over compensating with left leg.

Trying freezing spray and compression bandage at mo – have to drive to work soon so that might be interesting! Do I need X-ray? Not sure what walk-in centre bods will be able to tell me…probably go to A&E all day! That’s biking scuppered for a while 😥

Anyone had similar joy? 😉

iamsporticus
    Free Member

You’ve either ruptured your Achilles or torn a muscle

That needs either a proper doctor for one or an Internet prescription for a course of MTFU for the other

wwaswas

Unless you have a history of brittle bones it’s likely to be muscular not skeletal and all A&E are likely to do is tell you to rest it.

If it were me I’d be taking their likely advice and resting it and if it’s no better in a few days going to see my GP or a physio.

Resting means: keeping your leg still and not using it to drive, walk etc. Basically sit on the sofa with your leg on a cushion.

jekkyl

hooray legal days off work, booo days off the bike.

rascal
    Free Member

Jekkyl – little chance of legal days off work.
    Driving in wasn’t a problem…walking is a mare though.
    Will try and stay seated as much as I can – in work.
    If no better in a few days I might get down to docs to get his opinion.
    3rd Weds night bike ride in a row scuppered because of work and now injury – naffed off is an understatement.

jonnyweale
    Free Member

Try googling ‘Simmonds test’, it’s a quick check for your Achilles’ tendon, might help put your mind at ease.

DezB
    Free Member

Sounds like a pulled muscle to me.
    If you massage it can you feel a “knot”?

footflaps

Max dose Ibuprofen for a few days to bring the inflammation down, take it easy and it will recover in a week or so (if it’s a muscle problem).

thegreatape
    Free Member

[glupton] There’s an awful lot of rubbish being spouted on this thread [/glupton]

rascal
    Free Member

thegreatape – how so? And what’s glupton? 😯

DaveRambo

I don’t quite understand why you don’t just get down to A&E.

Asking people on a forum is of no use whatsoever.
    Without someone who knows what they are doing have a physical look at it any advice is pointless.

If it were me I would head straight to A&E and get in the queue. You will soon find out if it serious, and if it is you’re in the right place – if not then they will tell you what to do.

wwaswas

Don’t go to A&E.

Visit your GP.

It may have been an accident but it’s not an emergency.

towzer

go to the doc, if it’s an achilles it may require med attention

I did exactly the same about a month ago (jogging across hockey pitch I felt something hit me on the back of the leg, then I had to sit down), it was actually my muscle going, I’ve ripped my left gastronemius (calf) – for me the med diagnosis was 1 month without use, then I could start light exercising then back to sport after 2 months (*ish) – I actually started unclipped in, mainly right leg, unclipped in, on the flat cycling after about 3 weeks. FYI it took me about 1 and 1/2 weeks to do stairs properly – all weight on legs with foot flexing.

legolam
    Free Member

It sounds a bit like a torn achilles tendon – I would advise going to your local A+E or minor injuries unit sooner rather than later as it may need to go in a special cast if it is your achilles. Your GP won’t have access to this as they are not a minor injuries service.

thegreatape
    Free Member

rascal – Member
    thegreatape – how so? And what’s glupton?

Glupton is an expert.

(Also, the advice given may well not be rubbish. I wouldn’t know).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Oops…what have I done?’ is closed to new replies.