Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)
  • Oops…. Speeding ticket vs driving licence !
  • franksinatra

The last offence was a camera in a temporary road works(empty of workers) on a dual carriageway at 3 a.m. , 46 in a temp 40. …. Annoyingly having been just passed by a car doing double the speed with one headlight lol…..

Then plenty of opportunity to spot the camera

Most people speed, in that respect you are no different to anyone else. But you must have pretty poor observational skills to keep missing the cameras. That is quite worrying.

After 6 points most people would be driving like a nun, by 9 I would be driving like an undertaker….

ctk
    Free Member

+1 for speed awareness course.

chewkw
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

In general speedometers will read slightly higher than actual road speed.
    However, cameras will only trigger over a certain slightly-higher speed in any case, so you have a little leeway. This means your actual road speed can vary slightly without being penalised. That means you don’t have to be staring at your speedo as you are driving along “just in case”. And if you can’t control your speed to +/- 5mph of the speed limit without looking at your speedo constantly then you need to pay a bit more attention!

Damn! My sat nav is 35mph when my speedo is indicating 30mph.

I usually drive within the sat nav and speedo range but just want to be absolutely sure because it will be too late if I get a ticket.

Still trying to drive within the limit of +/- 5mph without looking at speedo or sat nav. aarrggghhh … 😐

jam bo – Member
    There are a number of areas that are moving to zero-tolerance and issuing tickets for anything over the limit. Devon an Cornwall is one of these, as is South Wales.

Yes, that is my concerned because with a zero-tolerance I would be in trouble if I drive within +/- 5mph.

I think there are plenty of cameras already in the North East … 😯

jon1973
    Free Member

Better call Saul.

konabunny
    Free Member

Its easy to get caught, its easy to get your cock stuck in your zip,

That made me lol!

globalti
    Free Member

If you’ve failed to spot the speed cameras so many times you can’t be a safe driver. Everybody breaks the speed limit but most people read traffic signs including those little camera pictures that warn you there may be cameras around.

maccruiskeen

That made me lol!

Whatever gets you off 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

How does zero tolerance work when we’re all driving around with uncalibrated speedos? I thought the ACPO guidline was 10% + 6mph. As for the OP, if you don’t get offered a SA course, go to court, get a local solicitor, prepare a credible mitigation statement, plead exceptional hardship and be contrite. Then try and control yourself until it’s a bit less critical. I used to do ~60k a year so know how it can be… No excuse but understandable.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Each set of points lasts 4 years and you get a ban if you get 12 points in 3 years.

maccruiskeen

How does zero tolerance work when we’re all driving around with uncalibrated speedos?

They’re not uncaliberated, they over-report your speed, so at whatever speed you think you’re driving you’re really going a tad slower. Normally a camera gives you a certain amount of grace, but you’ve already got that buffer from the speedo. So its not really zero tolerance, its just half the tolerance.

Drac

The 12 points in 3 years is possibly a bit outdated in some ways .

I agree it needs to be much tighter. As for the “Ooh! Banning me is going to make others suffer” tough you should have thought of that before speeding putting others at risk who may have suffered because of your speeding.

And yes I have been caught and it was my own stupid fault so tool the points and paid the fine.

slackalice
    Free Member

Topical news story Motorist on M25 caught driving at 149mph

Has got me wondering, how much faster than the speed limit would one need to be travelling at to not get snapped? 😉

Sandwich

by 9 I would be driving like an undertaker….

Qualified with box on the parcel shelf, the local undertakers are no slouches when there’s no rear parcel shelf box.

bearnecessities

Genuine question. Do kittens die during driving threads?

boblo
    Free Member

Errrm… They under report by varying degrees as they are not calibrated to a common standard. Manufacturer a may be slightly off against manufacturer b. My bike is much nearer real than my cars for example. This is why the ACPO allowance is in place.

Back in the day, plod could do you by following you for 2/10ths of a mile IIRC because/if their speedo was calibrated. Not used once they had VASCAR

Edit for Daily Wail content. Though 149mph may sound like the work of Beelzebub, the really nasty bastard was the one doing 96mph in a 30mph zone.

IanW
    Free Member

The Op should put his name down for one of These he’s obviously a cretin incompetent driver.

crankboy
    Free Member

Most has already been said relevant date is date of offence not sentence. If I was being paid I would check whether the start point was offence or sentence for the first points conviction off my head I think it is conviction.

If you are over 12 then your options are a) to investigate the speed restriction lawfully imposed lawfully signed and b) exceptional hardship. Exceptional hardship can only be argued on the same grounds once in three years and must be hardship that goes beyond you ie family employees or c) get banned for the offence rather than get points so ban could be shorter than the 6 months .
    Most people spend a couple of hundred quid a month on a car so £1000 on some legal advise is economicly sensible.
    The speed awareness course would be best if offered.

Oh and you are not wise to speed but I quess you know that now.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Every car I have driven in this country the speedometer has shown 73/74 mph when the satnav shows 70 mph. In the USA the speedometers have always matched the speed shown on the satnav. Is it a European directive that speedometers have to show a speed higher than your actual speed or just manufacturers whim?

Personally I would prefer a speedometer that showed my actual speed.

boblo
    Free Member

It is UK legal requirement they don’t show less than actual and no more than 10% more than actual. Therefore, there is a range of over reading.

scotroutes

Remember, the speedo reading is affected ny tyre diameter which will vary according to tyre make, size, wear, pressure and season (e.g. winter tyres are often a different size). That means there will always be some variation.

jonba
    Free Member

Remember, the speedo reading is affected ny tyre diameter which will vary according to tyre make, size, wear, pressure and season (e.g. winter tyres are often a different size). That means there will always be some variation.

But the speed limit is the upper maximum. If unsure you have plenty of option to slow down.

Easiest way to cause a traffic jam? Drive at 30 in a 30 zone and watch the cars line up behind you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Go to court take your own lube. Once is an accident twice is careless three times is stupid so what is 4 times?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well known fact that UK speedos read under.

The inbuilt protection against margin of error is handy though.

Re tyre size etc – my car continually calibrates the speedo against the in-built GPS. Handy 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

But Moly, they’re both usually zero as your car seems to spend a lot of time US 🙂

popstar
    Free Member

Speed limit sign informs you of an absolute maximum speed you can do, its not a target to beat.

Unfortunately most motorists think otherwise.

But man, once you drive something more modern and something better … its so hard to notice speed you traveling at. That powerful engine vrrooom-vrroom, those cushy leather seats and luxury quite bliss at higher speeds. I bet its hard to drive luxury car as slow as other commoners.

Man those vip minicab drivers have a nice life.

gonefishin
    Free Member

It simply isn’t possible for any speedometer to read 100% accurately over it’s entire calibrated range, there will always be an error and that error will not be constant over the range either. Incidently your GPS won’t be 100% accurate either and I’ve never unsdersttod why people seem to think it is.

theflatboy
    Free Member

slackalice – Member

Topical news story Motorist on M25 caught driving at 149mph

Has got me wondering, how much faster than the speed limit would one need to be travelling at to not get snapped?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-qv4gYAE8[/video]

RoterStern
    Free Member

Isn’t it about time that cars were fitted with annoying beep indicators when you´exceed the speed limit?

hora
    Free Member

You need to apply for the points to be removed.

I’m afraid though under the totting up you’ll be on 12 points. See professional advice.

TBH though, is your eye exam/prescription upto date?

You need to re-evaluate your driving.

I’m a fine one to talk- I sailed through the M62 cameras not realising that when they aren’t lit they are live so imagine I might receive my first ever 3points in the post any day.

Driving quickly per se isn’t wrong. Its lack of awareness that is by far worse. It becomes ‘speeding’ when your not really in control/lack of awareness/control of all faculties.

cb

Are the driver awareness courses available commercially? It could be wise, in way of preparing your plea to the court, that you have taken action yourself in an attempt to improve your driving. Turning up having already undergone such training ‘may’ show that you have a degree of dramatic ability remorse.

gogg
    Free Member

It’s all b*llsh*t though isn’t it. The police can spend a fortune on technology that means they can nick people who are primarily law abiding, there car is registered, taxed, MOT’d, insured. They just don’t pay a lot of attention on a stretch of dual carriageway at 3am, when no-one is working (better off looking at the road at that time of night anyway rather than watching your speedo, or do all the “holier than thou’s that have posted spend time looking at their cadence on their garmin rather than watching the trail?) But they don’t have the resources to investigate fraud so that scumbags can get away with scamming online, selling bikes they never had. Nor can they deal with investigating when your stolen bike turns up on ebay.

The Police as an organisation are no longer fit for purpose (apologies to those that currently serve as individuals I have nothing but respect for the majority of you), if they were a school OfSTED would have put them in special measures and subsequently closed them. If they were a hospital there would be an enquiry. If they were an MP they would lose their seat.

natrix
    Free Member

My sister in law was in a similar situation, she hired a swanky lawyer, fluttered her eyes at the judge and got away with a one month ban (took a two week holiday and used taxis for the remaining two weeks).

What amazed me was that after the ban she started with a clean slate – ZERO points on her license!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Grr don’t get me started. You talk about a moment’s inattention like it doens’t matter. That’s exactly how people die, every day.

sbob
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Grr don’t get me started. You talk about a moment’s inattention like it doens’t matter. That’s exactly how people die, every day.

Which is why we should get rid of speedometers.

gogg
    Free Member

I think you missed my point that it’s better to have one’s eye’s on the road to react than to be constantly watching the speedo for exactly the same reason as you “Grrr”. The speedo is a distraction in those areas, particularly if there are workers on the road.

With the length of some roadworks where these cameras are used it’s very easy to gradually pick up from 40 to to 40+ (perhaps after a climb into a downhill by failing to ease of the gas).

molgrips
    Free Member

If you aren’t capable of keeping to the limit AND watching where you are going, you’re not fit to drive.

to be constantly watching the speedo

You don’t need to constantly watch it. Just every so often. Can you not control your car’s speed properly either?

DezB
    Free Member

Think of the child’s face!

allthepies
    Free Member

Errrm… They under report by varying degrees

You mean over report presumably 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

You don’t need to constantly watch it. Just every so often.

But it only takes a moment’s inattention.

jam-bo

But it only takes a moment’s inattention.

it always amazes me driving on motorways with cruise control, how many people i seem pass repeatedly as they seem to rocket past at 90, then ease right off, then a couple of miles down the road do the same again.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Oops…. Speeding ticket vs driving licence !’ is closed to new replies.