Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Oops…. Speeding ticket vs driving licence !
  • paulmgreen
    Free Member

Oops….. Currently ( annoyingly ) on 9 points… The oldest dated 22/5/2011 …….. But on 11/5/2014 got snapped again into a temp speed limit in road works……

So question is……. Between 11th and 22nd I would have 12 points……. But the oldest then drop off….. So is it the date of the offence or the date of submitting fixed penalty ????. Work for myself and could really do without a ban ! ,

What’s the situation here ?

wwaswas

you’re a fool?

jam-bo

expect plenty of sanctimony and scorn mixed with a little advice….

scotroutes

Hopefully you’ll get a ban.

sbob
    Free Member

Date of offence.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Id say the situation is like this.
    You are about to get royally flamed by this lot!!!

Already happening…

Houns

You need to improve your observational skills when behind the wheel

theflatboy
    Free Member

It has to be date of offence, I imagine.

benji
    Free Member

You don’t learn from your mistakes, and want the rules bending as your special?

paulmgreen
    Free Member

All wise words !

tomhoward

*brews up*

If you cry and Whinge to the court about needing to drive for work/not being able to survive without driving they’ll let you keep doing it.

Despite being crap at it. Apparently.

amplebrew

It’s definitely the date of the offence.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d be expecting to either lose my licence OR if you can plead your case that a licence is ESSENTIAL for your work you might get a big fine.
    Or are you Chris Huhne and have an obliging wife? 😉

Liftman

Sell your audi and get something that doesn’t go as fast

wombat

If you reach 12 points within 3 years you will get a mandatory totting ban of 6 months unless you can persuade the magistrate that the impact of a ban will cause exceptional hardship to others, it’s supposed to have a severe effect on you, that’s the whole point. The fact that you’d only have 12 points for 11 days is irrelevant.

You’ll be required to attend court if a ban is possible (which it is in this case).

If you decide to throw yourself on the mercy of the bench expect any claims that others will be severely impacted examined very closely and interrogated a lot more than you might expect.

Sorry if this seems a bit blunt but AKAIK this is the situation.

IANAL

chewkw
    Free Member

If driving is your livelihood I think you will not get a ban but you will get a fine plus your insurance premium will go through the roof if I am not mistaken.

Get a Sat Nav as it will give you plenty of warning regarding speed limit even if you miss them or have not seen them. Mine would warn me with annoying alarm if I am about 4 – 5mph over the limit.

😮

taxi25
    Free Member

Unlucky but as you”ll have 12pnts within 3yrs even for a few days your looking at a 6mth ban. If your licence is really important you can go to court and make a claim for exceptional hardship. If the court accepts it they might consider another penalty. Fine or a shorter ban maybe. You can go to court and make this plea yourself but I’d recommend an experienced traffic lawyer. I did this myself and was successful, but after the fine court costs and £900 legal fees I didn’t feel I got away with it. Really woke me up realised I’d been coasting mentally.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Am I asking for anything special ? . No.

Just asking for clarification of dates used …. :-

lerk
    Free Member

I have a premonition you’re gonna be screw… Oh hang on, wrong thread!

chewkw
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member

I did this myself and was successful, but after the fine court costs and £900 legal fees I didn’t feel I got away with it.

What’s the amount of fine?

What’s the amount of court costs?

If I may ask …

😯

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Just do what a politician would do.

taxi25
    Free Member

I think the fine reflected the offence and didn’t take into account my other points. It was £60 with £20 v/s and £20 costs, less than what the prosecution asked for. I’d got caught at 35mph by a unmaned temporary camera through some road works in the early hours. No excuses I made a mistake ( a few actually )

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’ll take some points for you (I need a 150mm 1 1/8th fork, preferably revs in black) 😉

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My advice ……… Don’t speed.

Sorry but it’s really simple.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

The proliference of cameras etc these days makes it so easy to be caught …. Doesn’t mean you drive like an idiot or dangerously ! …. I drive typically 35-40,000 miles a year … No accidents or insurance claims in 30 years , so obviously don’t drive like a loon !

The 12 points in 3 years is possibly a bit outdated in some ways .

The last offence was a camera in a temporary road works(empty of workers) on a dual carriageway at 3 a.m. , 46 in a temp 40. …. Annoyingly having been just passed by a car doing double the speed with one headlight lol…..

It’s a bit frustrating ! Yes for sure I sped…. But definitely need to learn from driving into empty unoccupied road works lol….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It’s not frustrating at all. You broke the law and now you’re paying for it.

Liftman

The last offence was a camera in a temporary road works(empty of workers) on a dual carriageway at 3 a.m. , 46 in a temp 40. …. Annoyingly having been just passed by a car doing double the speed with one headlight lol…..

Posting and driving will get you more points

molgrips
    Free Member

See that thing that looks like a clock on your dashboard? It tells you how fast you are going. See the little round signs with numbers in..?

I guess not, in your case 🙂

Bez

The proliference of cameras etc these days makes it so easy to be caught

Yet the proliferation of speedometers these days makes it so easy not to be caught.

rene59
    Free Member

For speeding and most other offences it’s from date of offence. Some drink/drugs/dangerous/causing death offenses it is from the date of conviction.

Yes you can be disqualified under the totting-up procedure, but from my experience it is becoming less likely if you can show you cover a large amount of annual mileage and require to drive a vehicle to provide income to support dependents. Say sorry, show you have taken steps to prevent happening again and ask for alternative punishment in way of a fine so that the punishment is on you, not others and you should be ok.

maccruiskeen

The proliference of cameras etc these days makes it so easy to be caught ..

Its easy to get caught, its easy to get your cock stuck in your zip, but its not difficult to not get caught. Most people manage to not get caught even once in their whole driving career.

MartynS

Have you done a speed awareness course in the last 3 years?
    If not were you under the limit that Makes you eligible for a course? If so buy a lottery ticket and take the speed course.

I think it’s fair to say if you’re on 9 points you really should be driving like a nun………

jam-bo

Have you done a speed awareness course in the last 3 years?
    If not were you under the limit that Makes you eligible for a course? If so buy a lottery ticket and take the speed course.

having points makes you ineligible for the speed awareness courses

chewkw
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member

I think the fine reflected the offence and didn’t take into account my other points. It was £60 with £20 v/s and £20 costs, less than what the prosecution asked for. I’d got caught at 35mph by a unmaned temporary camera through some road works in the early hours. No excuses I made a mistake ( a few actually )

They got a camera at unmaned temporary road works! Crikey. 😯

I am still trying to determine if my speedometre is accurate or my sat nav. Think when my speedometre is faster while sat nav is slower but I would go for the speedometre if I feel that cameras are around otherwise I would stick with the sat nav speed to avoid loud warning alarm.

taxi25
    Free Member

Thats a good point, if its more than 3yrs since you’ve done a speed awareness course they might offer you one. VV lucky if they do.

scotroutes

In general speedometers will read slightly higher than actual road speed.
    However, cameras will only trigger over a certain slightly-higher speed in any case, so you have a little leeway. This means your actual road speed can vary slightly without being penalised. That means you don’t have to be staring at your speedo as you are driving along “just in case”. And if you can’t control your speed to +/- 5mph of the speed limit without looking at your speedo constantly then you need to pay a bit more attention!

jam-bo

In general speedometers will read slightly higher than actual road speed.
    However, cameras will only trigger over a certain slightly-higher speed in any case, so you have a little leeway. This means your actual road speed can vary slightly without being penalised. That means you don’t have to be staring at your speedo as you are driving along “just in case”. And if you can’t control your speed to +/- 5mph of the speed limit without looking at your speedo constantly then you need to pay a bit more attention!

There are a number of areas that are moving to zero-tolerance and issuing tickets for anything over the limit. Devon an Cornwall is one of these, as is South Wales.

i learnt this on a speed awareness course…

MartynS

“having points makes you ineligible for the speed awareness courses

Sadly don’t think so… I’m pretty sure as long as you haven’t done a SAW in the previous 3 years it doesn’t matter how many points you have

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too have no sympathy for OP, if there are signs warning off potential of speed cameras or average speed cameras and you speed as a matter of your daily driving you need to stick to the speed limits where posted from now on or drive with more common sense having already gained points through speeding…..vans and cars in lay-bys , on over bridges, white markings on the road surface and counties that use aircraft, and those big yellow painted boxes and gantries with cameras on!

jam-bo

The course is an alternative to prosecution, for all speed bands and classes of vehicle speeds except 20 mph zones. Previous driving history will not be taken into account when making this offer.

there you go, learn something new everyday.

and they can offer it up to 10%+6 over the limit. you might be lucky….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Oops…. Speeding ticket vs driving licence !’ is closed to new replies.