Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 512 total)
  • Oops! Someone best phone social services….
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

My view would be that if the action requested by the child didnt harm themselves or others (either in a physical or mental sense), was reasonable AND wasn’t breaking any laws then it would probably be ok.
    Theres probably a million caveats and exceptions to that statement, but Im still at work and my brain is tired.

Im a little dubious about forcing kids who dont know any better to follow a diet they probably dont fully understand, but thats not my concern.

binners

The analogies and comparisons between cheeseburgers and alcohol and drugs, is an insightful, non-hysterical, measured and accurate one, that’s entirely applicable.

Dear god!! What have I done?!!! … Even the name… the happy meal should reveal the true nature of it’s dark, evil intentions. I feel truly ashamed of my actions! Forgive me, oh righteous ones! 😳

DezB
    Free Member

Binners
    I had a very omnivorish childhood and was seriously eating bacon by the age of ten. I later went on to serloin steak. But it was normal to me and reinforced by mixing with similar omnivores.
    As an adult I have been asked by children to buy them burgers, fish n chips and even kebabs and also chicken hotwings…

Not making light of your unfortunate childhood, pullfaces. But if alcohol=drugs=meat was true, that would read like a sensible statement.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am still surprised so many think it ok to ignore a parents wishes and then lie to them.

Were the wishes expressly communicated?

fin25
    Free Member

Anyone else hungry?

HughStew

Assuming an accurate representation of the conversation by binners, I very much doubt that it was her first ever burger.

FWIW, I think it was a wrong thing to do, but only mildly, and wrong can be funny.

ninfan
    Free Member

A vegetarian child pictured yesterday:

I can see it now – Mcdonalds is just a gateway to the hard stuff

Within a couple of weeks, Binners is going to be parked outside the school gates, selling the kids tin foil wraps with bacon butties and sausage rolls from a coolbox in the passenger footwell

Esme
    Free Member

Oh dear, Binners – you might be in even bigger trouble than you realise. Some vegans would even object to the bread bun surrounding the burger 😯

tomhoward

Binners,

Chapeau.

That is all.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sounds like a public service.

My vegi mates encourage their kids to eat meat so they can make up their own minds.

hora
    Free Member

Hughstew +1

Junkyard
    Free Member

Were the wishes expressly communicated?

Ok two points
    1. NO molly we vegans keep it a massive secret that we are vegans 😛

2. You know that bit where binners/the kid said about lying to them what do you think sherlock?

The analogies and comparisons between cheeseburgers and alcohol and drugs, is an insightful, non-hysterical, measured and accurate one, that’s entirely applicable.

Binners you are bright enough to get the point being made and it is not hard but once more. Parents have moral standards and you ignored them and think its funny. What the moral issue is is not the actual issue it the ignoring other morals bit. Everyone has something, it is just that the vegan thing is different from most folks. No doing drugs and alcohol is not unusual. If i dont GAS about kids getting pissed doing drugs, and the other parent does, would it be ok for me to get the kids off their tits as long as we all agree to lie to the parents, if they ask me to?
    I would argue no to that and meat but you can argue its OK and funny if you like.

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone else hungry?

I am hungry FOR JUSTICE!

Bregante

Top work binners!

I, on the other hand have fed my two youngest sweet innocent carnivorous offspring with shepherds pie made with (and I can’t believe I’m going to say this)

quorn mince

So. Do I tell them?

binners

JY – No lying has actually knowingly been involved (yet) in the eating of this cheeseburger*. We’re sort of taking our lead from the US armed forces policy on gayers: Don’t Ask. Don’t Tell

* it’s not altogether implausible that some deception and mild dishonesty may be involved at some indeterminable point in the future

binners

* phones social services about Bregante*

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

You know that bit where binners/the kid said about lying to them what do you think sherlock?

Well, if we can leave the abrasiveness aside for a minute, it’s not at all clear if Binners was TOLD not to take them to McDonalds. It could be ‘dont’ tell cos my mum doesn’t like me eating meat’ or equally ‘don’t tell because we were expressly told not to do this’.

If Binners was not given explicit instructions, then the parents can’t be that bothered about it can they?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I presume most people would flame you for letting the teenage (<18) child of a parent with strong views against alcohol have a couple of beers at your house. Think there’s some comparison there.

Meat isn’t a drug, alcohol is.

Big difference.

dabble
    Free Member

Ha! 😀

almightydutch
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

Funny that, I’ve had the sweats from two things. Meat and E’s. Gotta be something in that!!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, classed legally….as a drug. You could argue the case for it altering brain chemistry.

Parents have moral standards and you ignored them and think its funny.

If you don’t stone my children to death if they misbehave at your party, I will be outraged!

molgrips
    Free Member

Big difference.

Yeah but alcohol doesn’t involve killing animals.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah but alcohol doesn’t involve killing animals.

I’m sure the production of whatever crop/plant used in the production of alcohol kills plenty of creatures, inadvertently through the destruction of natural ecosystems.

Also, seeing as it’s not the child being killed, I don’t see the problem if a child wants to kill animals without their parents consent.

yunki
    Free Member

and the health benefits of alcohol are measureably greater than the health benefits of meat

ninfan
    Free Member

Just imagine your kids thinking they had to lie, thinking that it was best to lie – being afraid to tell you that they had done something as innocuous as eating a beef burger,

all because they were afraid they would get in trouble because of your own ‘moral code’ that you had imposed on them by default

Thats shit isn’t it?

My kids aren’t afraid to tell me anything, even if they’ve done something naughty or **** up, because they know I’d support them

and I mean this, my (13yo) daughter came home and confessed to trying an electronic cigarette at a friends house the other week, because she felt pressured to… she didn’t get into trouble for it, we talked about it, she got love and support!

Imagine if I had brought her up to think she would get into trouble for something as harmless as eating a ****ing beef burger?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

and the health benefits of alcohol are measureably greater than the health benefits of meat

The long term benefits of alcohol use in adults are open to debate but the short term acute effects and developmental issues caused by use of alcohol by children are not.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Purely out of intetest. If you have vegan kids and you send them to a party how do you deal with their lack of inclusion?

I don’t mean practically clearly you can send food wih them etc but they will be sitting there not eating the same as everyone else that must cause some tension/exvlusion among 5 year olds?!

MrsToast
    Free Member

If the Vegan Academy finds out, they’ll strip his friends’ kids of their Vegan Powers. 🙁

[video]http://youtu.be/vqqGZBRBLcM[/video]

ninfan
    Free Member

short term acute effects and developmental issues caused by use of alcohol by children are not

Thats like saying that paracetamol is a dangerous drug that should never be given to children

its about dosage innit!

An occasional small glass of wine with sunday dinner – good for them, both socially and functionally – kids drinking regularly or large amounts, clearly a bad thing

sort of like the difference between your kid eating the occasional happy meal, or eating there every day!

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem if a child wants to kill animals without their parents consent.

So if they started killing stray dogs you’d be fine with that?

Sorry to be a broken record here, but most people on this thread are guilty of judging other people by their own standards.

Imagine if I had brought her up to think she would get into trouble for something as harmless as eating a ****ing beef burger?

It’s not harmless to the cow, is it? And I believe that is often the whole point of being vegan..?

bearnecessities

WTF happened in here??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s not harmless to the cow, is it? And I believe that is often the whole point of being vegan..?

Perhaps the kid couldn’t care less about the cow’s feelings and just wants a burger? I believe that is often the whole point of being able to make your own mind up.

ninfan
    Free Member

It’s not harmless to the cow, is it

The cows already dead though, in fact it was almost certainly already killed, minced, cooked and put on the bun when they walked into the store, if they hadn’t of eaten it, it would have been thrown in the bin and wasted, an even worse crime because the cow would then have died in vain, without bringing tasty meatiness to anyone!

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Have we considered that this is a made up story with the objective of seeking attention due to being bored?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oops, in the minority on this one – Ben, think you nailed it on page 3.

Tut, tut Binners! But I think they will get over it – just 😉

Yes, worth an outside bet, that it’s simply a wind up story. In which case chapeau bins, but much less so if true!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Perhaps the kid couldn’t care less about the cow’s feelings and just wants a burger?

Perhaps the kid should understand the feelings of the cow before it decides to have a burger, if it then chooses one it has, at the very least, made it in light of the facts?

hora
    Free Member

Why would you give a child Quorn. Its hideous.

binners

This isn’t a story, it’s an account, and is entirely factual. I just thought I’d share. Much as I did in the burgery loviness offered by those Golden Arches. I couldn’t possibly have known it would cause such division, controversy, and drugs references

I went for a Big Mac meal BTW. After some procrastination about the Memphis burger

fin25
    Free Member

I used to live with a vegan guy. I don’t know whether it was just him, but veganism looked like quite a difficult choice, what with all the research as to what he can eat and drink, going to far away shops to get the best stuff and keeping his discipline in the face of so many easier choices. I genuinely admire someone who has made the choice to be vegan, it is clearly not the easy option.
    Be honest with yourselves, can a child really make such a choice?
    Do they really understand their choice?
    Is it fair for any child to live with such pressures, especially when we live in a society already obsessed with putting pressure on kids?

Just saying like…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Rather than get dragged into his childish opinions about what kids can and can’t eat why not focus on the following

Binners chose to ignore a fellow parents beliefs

Now as someone who regularly runs kids football and am entrusted with these kids whilst the parents go off and do their cycling or running) I would be horrified if any of the parents thought I could be capable of doing something like this.

The main thing this has shown me is what a coward he is. It doesn’t take a big man to turn the cheek and be the popular dad. It takes a mature guy to explain that on this occasion, knowing that the girls parents are vegans that we can go to McDonald’s but she can’t have meat. Unpopular -yep. Then a real man has a quiet word with the kids parents and risks being even more unpopular and points out how keen their child was to have a burger. In doing this you both respect the parents, try to help the kid and keep a 100% clear conscience

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Oops! Someone best phone social services….’ is closed to new replies.